How do you control what you eat...

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
in that i am within my syns so i have a biscuit. how on earth did you learn to stop when you have had your allowance.

I find it incredibly hard. I think that I should try to not have any for a long period of time so that I get used to not having any.

Help

I have found that stuff I used to love and really really crave I actually don't want any more. I was once told if you are craving something wait for 15 minutes. Chances are the craving will then have passed. Yesterday I brought myself a bar of my favourite choccy and said I will allow myself one piece a day. You know what, I have yet to have a single piece and I don't feel inclined to open it so its sat in my fridge. Long may it continue!

I know what you mean with the biscuits, once you open a packet it is difficult to stop yourself.

You can always separate them into food bags, put you allowance in a bag and you know that you can have whats in the bag.

It is a lot about willpower and telling yourself that you don't want more than your allowance.

Hope that helped x

With biscuits I tend to have something like a Kit Kat or a Blue Riband rather than rich teas or whatever. I feel like I've had a treat with the former but with normal biscuits I don't think I could trust myself to stop *shame* lol!

thanks for your advice. i find that my will power as gone and left me.
i have young children so there are biscuits in my house, i cant just not buy them.
i like the idea of waiting 15 mins before eating. hmm a lot to think about.
thank you

I don't keep biscuits in the house at all & I have young children too. Instead I keep cereal bars which they love (& thankfully I don't) & they are happy to have one of them as a snack instead

How about having a kiddie biscuit barrel. Every time you have a kiddie biscuit you have to pay the kids a fine. I'm sure they'd love it and will help keep you on track. Plus the more biscuits you eat the more expensive its gets!

How about having a kiddie biscuit barrel. Every time you have a kiddie biscuit you have to pay the kids a fine. I'm sure they'd love it and will help keep you on track. Plus the more biscuits you eat the more expensive its gets!

thats great, it's usually between when i get home from work and when they go to bed that i dip in. x

A little more expensive to buy, but great for portion control are the packs of mini biscuits - most are around 6 syns for a little bag and I think we've tried mini oreos, digestives, malted moos and animal biscuits, depending on which one asda has on offer - usually £1 for 6 or 8 bags. They take a while to eat and are a good portion controlled treat in a house like ours where an open packet is an empty packet as far as biscuits are concerned!!

thanks for your advice. i find that my will power as gone and left me.
i have young children so there are biscuits in my house, i cant just not buy them.
i like the idea of waiting 15 mins before eating. hmm a lot to think about.
thank you

You could actually just not buy them. Kids don't have a choice when it comes to food, they're given what we buy for them. You can choose to give them healthy snacks or unhealthy snacks.

Why not replace biscuits full of sugar and additives with stuff like fresh or dried fruit, flavoured rice cakes or cereal bars?

It makes the kids healthier and takes away temptation from you.

Bad eating habits start in childhood, it makes sense whilst changing your habits, to change theirs for the better too.

My 13 year old now eats all my slimming world meals. I don't keep any junk food in the house and she's ok with that. If she wants the odd bar of chocolate or packet of crisps then I'll give her a pound to go to the shops but if she wants to snack at home she has fruit, yoghurts, cereal bars or some toast.

Sally's idea is awesome. Work out how many syns in, say, 3 biscuits, and divvy them up in to small sandwich bags and write the number of syns on each bag. That way, you really have to think about it, which helps for me. Cutting out the nice things is not what SW is all about, and will only male you more prone to caving and having a binge!

Bad eating habits start in childhood, it makes sense whilst changing your habits, to change theirs for the better too.

Not totally convinced this is true tbh. I grew up in a house without chocolate, cakes, crisps, general bad food as my dad was always on a diet. We were taught all about healthy eating, general rule of thumb was that if you were hungry between meals you had a carrot, or a piece of fruit. We never had fast food either and we never complained about it at the time but the moment I left home to go to uni, I ate all the food I had not been allowed as a child, and 16 years later, I am on SW, trying to lose 6 stone.

Not saying this is the case for everyone, but it does not necessarily follow that if you let your child have a few biscuits they will develop bad eating habits as adults, or vice versa.

I think with kids (and us adults) its about balance. As kingles says if you are totally deprived of something as a child then the second you get freedom you'll probably spend it indulging on the things you weren't allowed. If you ensure these 'bad' things are allowed but in moderation then the children are less likely to massively indulge when they get the freedom to do so.

Not totally convinced this is true tbh. I grew up in a house without chocolate, cakes, crisps, general bad food as my dad was always on a diet. We were taught all about healthy eating, general rule of thumb was that if you were hungry between meals you had a carrot, or a piece of fruit. We never had fast food either and we never complained about it at the time but the moment I left home to go to uni, I ate all the food I had not been allowed as a child, and 16 years later, I am on SW, trying to lose 6 stone.

Not saying this is the case for everyone, but it does not necessarily follow that if you let your child have a few biscuits they will develop bad eating habits as adults, or vice versa.

Totally agree... Personally, I feel it's far more important to teach kids moderation, rather than denying them things. I think it's probably dangerous to never allow kids chocolate/sweets/biscuits, especially today when they are everywhere - the rebellious nature will just kick in!

I agree 100% about the everything in moderation. I do not keep chocolate, sweets, crisps, biscuits etc in the house & to be honest I never have because these were all freely available when I was a child & I was not taught about moderation. My children do get their treats but rather than them being conveniently in a cupboard in the kitchen we walk up to our local shop & let them chose something. I think it is seen as more of a treat that way. Just my opinion but it works well in our house.

oooh yes the dreaded biscuit...my weapon of choice was a chocolate hob-nob dipped in tea or coffee (3/4 of a pack to be exact) - I just couldn't stop. I haven't eaten a single biscuit in 6 months and you know what, I just won't buy them again. It is something I have no control over if in the house. If I was offered one at a friends house, yeah fine....but I'm sorry it's goodnight hob-nobs!!!! :) xx

I agree 100% about the everything in moderation. I do not keep chocolate, sweets, crisps, biscuits etc in the house & to be honest I never have because these were all freely available when I was a child & I was not taught about moderation. My children do get their treats but rather than them being conveniently in a cupboard in the kitchen we walk up to our local shop & let them chose something. I think it is seen as more of a treat that way. Just my opinion but it works well in our house.

This seems like a balanced way of doing things and they get some exercise as well!

all three of my boys have a healthy balanced diet. They mostly reach for the fruit bowl rather than sweets / biscuits etc. in fact my 5 year old wont take chocolate in his packed lunch box and only has a handful of crisps in a tiny tuperware box, he much prefers taking strawberries etc. i just wish they were as cheap as biscuits.
x

Yep, this is exactly what we do too. I didn't mean that you should never give kids anything "bad", just that teaching them about healthy options or giving them healthy snacks is going to be better for their bodies and will stop bad habits forming.

With regards to the bad eating habits starting in childhood, that was my personal experience and with the increase in childhood obesity nationwide, it's obviously an issue for a lot of children and parents, it's been studied and reported in the news a lot. Plus the whole Jamie Oliver/Government school meals etc...

Tara40, not saying your kids are overweight btw, I'm just talking generally.

I wasn't implying that by giving your kids a biscuit you're setting them on the road to obesity, hence why I said that my daughter can have sweets and crisps if she wants them, she just has to buy them at the shop rather than having them freely available at home.

Ananbel Karmel -
Worryingly, more than 25% of children in England are overweight and one in six 10 year olds is classed as obese. And, according to a recent report in the Independent on Sunday, as a direct result of eating more junk food, 4 million people in the UK now suffer from malnutrition.

But it doesn't have to be like this for your children.

By being more responsible and giving children more home cooked and fresh foods, there's no reason not to produce meals that are both healthy and appealing.

Remember, in early childhood, eating habits and tastes are formed for life.

Last edited:
I know you didnt mean anything by that. I just wanted to say that my boys all healthy weights and very very active, if anything i would say that my five year old is slightly underweight, but he grazes all day.

Back