How do you cope with an emotional day without food?

I've had a really bad day today, lots of tears :cry:previously after an emotional or particularly stressful day I would console myself with wine and midget gems (yes they were a huge failing of mine!).

I'm on my second week of ss and really struggling tonight to make myself feel better. I've had a bath and a cuppa but still feel blue. Sorry for the self indulgent post I'm not normally a sad person probably because I can usually jolly myself out of it with the aforementioned forbidden things!! :sigh:

hi

I too am an emotional eater x there is a post on here somewhere about why people are emotional eaters which is a bit long winded but gives a lot of information as to why we go down that road.

Sorry to hear that your having a blue day, sending some positive vibes your way xx have had a crappy day myself and its took tons of willpower not to reach form my emotional outlet.. chocolate :vibes:

Just remember the reason why your choosing to do this diet, have an early night, read a book or a mag, watch a movie, anything to distract yourself... tomorrows another day and you can congratulate yourself for not giving in :angel09:

Debs x

Horrible, isn't it?

And there's no easy answer here - other than to let yourself feel sad.

There are at least 2 reasons why we eat to console ourselves
(1) because that's what we've always done - and the sugar rush/seratonin hit actually does work for a while - until we realise that not only are we still feeling blue - we've also blown the diet too...
(2) because we've learnt to squash down our feelings with food in order to not let ourselves feel. In fact, sometimes that works because instead of giving yourself a hard time about your horrible day, you can beat yourself up for eating instead (something most of us are really well practised at :rolleyes:)

But food can only ever get you through a moment - it can never 'fix' the problem. And doing Cambridge can actually help you come to terms with that fact.

Best thing for you right now - maybe a nice hot chocolate tetra, and warm bath and bed?

{{{Big hugs}}}

Thankyou for your kind replies - they make an awful lot of sense too! It is really hard isn't it to admit that you use something such as food as a crutch rather than actually dealing with the emotion. Maybe it's not such a bad thing to have a good cry! I totally see what you guys mean by cambridge maybe being the way for me to see why I use food in the wrong way sometimes. Your also right in that I will feel very proud tomorrow if I get through without eating or drinking wine!
I'm so glad I found this forum x

Just remind yourself: If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution :)

VLCDs are there to break our habits of emotional eating and to teach us that we can get through anything without food/booze. You're going to feel good tomorrow when you realise you can do it. Good luck and hope you feel happier soon.

Some really great replies on this thread.

I find (and this may be a bit weirdy crystal for some) that I take 30 mins a day to have a shower then rub my body with good old Palmers Coco Butter, during this time I talk to my body, tell it how much I appreciate it, how I am going to make it as healthy, happy, comfortable and attractive as possible and that in a matter of months we will be where we want to be.

After my first weigh in I went and had a pedicure and had my toe nails painted bright red and now delight in how pretty they look when I catch sight of them at the end of my first month on CD I have booked myself in for a hot stone massage as a thank you to my body for working wit me on this.

I have also converted our spare bedroom into my "quiet space" just made it really pretty and calming and I have taken to meditating and listening to relaxation tapes and also guided meditations (there are lots on Amazon) there is a great one by Robbie Wright called "overcoming Your Weakness" which is really therapeutic.

So when I feel like I really need to stuff something down to kill and emotion I take off for a meditation....it seems to work for me.

I did it!!!! I didn't give in! Feel very proud of myself this morning, I can deal with stuff without using food.......not happy that I had a bad day but can really take something positive from it in that I've learned something pretty huge about my relationship with food! I'd buy you all a round of water if I could lol x

I did it!!!! I didn't give in! Feel very proud of myself this morning, I can deal with stuff without using food.......not happy that I had a bad day but can really take something positive from it in that I've learned something pretty huge about my relationship with food! I'd buy you all a round of water if I could lol x

:D see you CAN do it :)

Mines a large glass of water with plenty of ice please x :)

Debs x

I've just been prepared for this. Last time I went on a diet I fell into hard depression and did not get better until the scale went up again...(really, well that was just an "on the surface" better...). So this time I've decided to deal with emotions that are stuck under each pound I lose and will appear as this pound gets lost....I have this list of therapies I will refer to along with massages which for me is a therapy by itself and decided to have a budget for it (instead of clothes buying or other goodies buying). Everytime something comes up I make an appointment with whatever therapist I feel to go to and who could help.
I'm also saying to myself that's part of the process and don't feel as I need to feel good as my weight comes down....I'm allowing myself to go crazy, tearful, screaming....

Back