How do you feel about large consultants?

Surely the point of attending SW is to hopefully work hard to achieve target and then maintain that target? You say yourself that you can lose well but cannot keep it off; surely what you therefore need is a consultant who can inspire you to the next level, not someone who you can relate to as they are the same?
I just think that a consultant should be an example to the class; someone whose journey they can relate to and who will provide inspiration that it can be done! I would not take dancing lessons from someone with two left feet and therefore would not take diet instruction from someone who is unable to follow a diet themselves!

Two of the times I put the weight back on was through getting pregnant but i was soon back at class. I know my problem with maintaining is as I stop going when Im at target so thats my own fault. I can relate to my consultant, and she does inspire me totally, I really like her - its just after all the hard work I stop going lol. This time I will lose, and then stay as a target member ;)

Cazzie26 said:
Surely the point of attending SW is to hopefully work hard to achieve target and then maintain that target? You say yourself that you can lose well but cannot keep it off; surely what you therefore need is a consultant who can inspire you to the next level, not someone who you can relate to as they are the same?

I just think that a consultant should be an example to the class; someone whose journey they can relate to and who will provide inspiration that it can be done! I would not take dancing lessons from someone with two left feet and therefore would not take diet instruction from someone who is unable to follow a diet themselves!

Again i feel the need to reiterate that the assumption that because a consultant is overweight they are not following the diet is JUST PLAIN WRONG!!

*goes to bang head against brick wall*

Again i feel the need to reiterate that the assumption that because a consultant is overweight they are not following the diet is JUST PLAIN WRONG!!

*goes to bang head against brick wall*

I was not suggesting that someone who is overweight is not following the plan; I fully understand that people can do incredibly well on this plan but if they have a large amount to lose can shift 6 stone and still be overweight. It is, however, my opinion that a consultant should be someone who has achieved target and, perhaps more importantly, maintained that loss over a period of time. It is a statistically proven fact that the majority of people who lose weight through diets regain a significant portion of that weight. I personally would only feel inspired by someone who had achieved what I want to; lose weight and keep that weight off by a long term change in attitude to food and exercise. Everyone is different but I would want my consultant to be a role model to me!

I agree with cazzie26. I want my consultant to be a role model to me. She wasn't suggesting that an overweight consultant doesn't follow the plan.

lucyc35 said:
I agree with cazzie26. I want my consultant to be a role model to me. She wasn't suggesting that an overweight consultant doesn't follow the plan.

Understood. But just because someone isn't 'your' ideal, doesn't mean they can't be a role model or an inspiration.

Have been watching this thread for a few days and thought I had an opinion in my head but as my c's so far have been quite slim I hadn't responded.

Tonight our new c started as she was larger. No idea how large as I'm no good at guessing but larger than me and I'm about an 18.

She introduced herself and said she'd lost 6 stone with SW and was in the magazine. She also said that since she's been a c she's lost focus and not always weighed in and so put on again so she's now 'on the journey with us'. I'm still a bit unsure how I feel and I won't know until I've been back a few times?

It's new for me so I won't decide yet

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Cazzie26 said:
I was not suggesting that someone who is overweight is not following the plan; I fully understand that people can do incredibly well on this plan but if they have a large amount to lose can shift 6 stone and still be overweight. It is, however, my opinion that a consultant should be someone who has achieved target and, perhaps more importantly, maintained that loss over a period of time. It is a statistically proven fact that the majority of people who lose weight through diets regain a significant portion of that weight. I personally would only feel inspired by someone who had achieved what I want to; lose weight and keep that weight off by a long term change in attitude to food and exercise. Everyone is different but I would want my consultant to be a role model to me!

Just out if interest would a consultant whom had got to their target, was a size 16, and was maintaining at that target 'inspire' or not? Bearing in mind that you set your own target with SW,

I had a C once who was roughly a size 16 (sometimes an 18). She had lost 10 stone through slimming world which was a massive inspiration to me. One lady in class was very rude and outspoken once and asked why she wasn't still losing weight. It turns out she had actuly originally lost 13 stone and she went down to a size 10 which on her frame looked too skinny, made her obsess over maintaining that weight and she had to work ultra hard in the gym to stay there. Ultimately she came to the conclusion that she was mentally and physically healthier at a size 16, didn't have any medical problems, liked what she saw when she looked in the mirror, could shop pretty much anywhere she wanted and it was easy for her to maintain without becoming obsessive or unhappy.

That too was a massive inspiration as she taught me that the right shape and size is down to you and no one else and just because some see a size 10 as "ideal" it's not right for everyone. At the end of the day she has maintained her 10 stone weight loss for over 7 years which is pretty inspiring.

I also had a C once who was a size 10, having lost about 4 stone and over the course of roughly 6 months put on about 2 stone. Lots of members were very *****y behind her back and some left because they didnt respect her. She finally told us that her husband had been diagnosed with cancer and she had been at the hospital nearly every day with him. She had been eating hospital food and genuinely hadn't been able to follow the plan and hadn't really cared about following it whilst he was being treated. Some asked why she didn't just take a break from classes all together but she said she thought it was important to keep coming as a demonstration that after her life had sorted itself out she intended to get straight back on it. She also thought the group was good support for her mentally to provide some normality. That inspired me as often when I was busy or had been bad I talked myself out of going to class and she made me realise that we are all human and even when at target we are all going to have times when we gain weight for some reason. But the important thing was not to give up, to keep coming to class and to not walk away when things were difficult.

So I definitely think it's possible to have a consultant who is over a certain size and still be inspired by them.

Some great points raised in this thread. Initially when I started reading it I wished I hadn't started it but after wading right through it I'm glad I did.

When I said larger consultants I certainly didn't mean a size 16. My target is 12 1/2 stone which is right at the top end of my healthy range for BMI & would mean I was a size 14/16. I personally have no desire to be super thin just healthy & happy.

I understand what people are saying about setting your own target, that's one of the great things about SW. From the consultant point of view to be considered for training don't you have to be within 2 stones of target initially though? That's certainly the impression I have got from my Club 10 letter.

My own consultant is still on her journey, she has lost almost 2 stone & has another stone to go. She is really struggling at the moment. She did start to weigh in with our group & share her journey with us but has decided to go back to her old group for support.

Just out if interest would a consultant whom had got to their target, was a size 16, and was maintaining at that target 'inspire' or not? Bearing in mind that you set your own target with SW,

If someone had lost a significant amount of weight and was maintaining at a healthy BMI and was a size 16 then yes I do feel that person could be inspirational; size 16 does not necessarily mean overweight. The original post on which I was commenting referred specifically to a consultant who would "lose 1-2 stone and then gain it back over a year or so, lose again, and so on". Considering this person clearly cannot stick to the plan long term then I would not find them inspiring in the slightest and if I was SW I would not want them representing my brand.

But every single person is different and we all have choices; if you are not motivated by your consultant find a different group and a consultant that works for you.

we had a visit from Sue Thompson, a lady in our area who has lost an amazing 11 stone since last year on SW, she still wants to lose 4 stone but is starting as a consultant at her own group.

That to me is truly inspirational, she is so motivated and full of love for SW its infectious.

To me thats what a SW consultant is about, having the knowledge and the passion for the plan.

If you google Sue Thompson slimming world you can see her before and after pics.

Amazing x

ive been a fair few sw groups and had good and bad consultants

my fav was a lady who at the welcome area always attached pics of her before and after and her old jeans too, you would not believe how much she had lost, she was a inspiration, she was at target and knew the syns and plan off the back of her hand, she was ace

then my worst was a lady who was larger than me (she still had a long way to go) , she didnt know syn values when the group asked, hadnt tasted new HI Fi bars or SW food when group asked, she wasnt a good role model at all, it was like she was just running the group for the extra cash and wasnt arsed and only just managed to get back with questions. there is a group member who has lost 7 stone and comes up with more ideas and was more of a inspiration than that consultant and i felt like sayin to the girl, you should be a consultant.

i do think consultants should be on target or 1 stone from target , who have gone through it all and can wear the T-Shirt to say they done it all on SW - thats just my opinion

I think when discussing this its important to remember that at sw we set out own target. Just because a consultant is overweight what's to say they didn't start out morbidly obese and they are in fact happily within their personal target range?

this could be true, but i do think consultants should show before and after pic, so they can show newbies it is possible to get to target on SW, people in general always want to see the results, even if its before and after botox treatment ect ect, it just curiosity i supose, it human.

I have a few mixed feelings about this, I by no means think a consultant should be 'thin', but saying that they represent their own group so I guess if they feel comfortable leading a group at their size (talking about any size here) why shouldn't they? Members aren't forced to stay, they can look for another group if that's what they want to do. Personally though I'm not really bothered, my consultant is bigger than me and I don't really care, though saying that we had a stand in consultant one week and she was a lot bigger than our normal consultant and I wasn't sure how I felt about her leading the group but that was probably because we didn't know anything about her, so I think it's all to do with situation. If she had lost 4-5 st previous then that would have changed my opinion completely, but if you don't know the facts you can't judge the consultant!

my consultant is bigger than me and I don't really care, though saying that we had a stand in consultant one week and she was a lot bigger than our normal consultant and I wasn't sure how I felt about her leading the group but that was probably because we didn't know anything about her, so I think it's all to do with situation. If she had lost 4-5 st previous then that would have changed my opinion completely, but if you don't know the facts you can't judge the consultant!

my consultant when i started , didnt say how much she had lost, and i still dont know to this day, so i dont know how much shes lost, i would say she is in the over weight categorytho . coz i was a new person coming in from the outside, all i can go off is what i can see - hence my opinion. just like you thoughts and opinion from your stand in consultant

I have struggled with my journey as some people on here will know. But it has never tarred my ability to inspire and give good advice to others.

I know fully well what I should be doing to lose the weight and it's easy to tell other people you should be doing X, Y and Z but it can sometime be immensely difficult to do it yourself.

Cons are humans who have been on the SW journey at some point or are still on it. I don't think their own struggles have an affect on being an inspiration / helping hand to others unless the person they are trying to help opinion of the cons stop them for letting the con help them! Don't think I've explain that last bit very well but hopefully you get the idea!!

Personally if I were to ever become a consultant, I wouldn't unless I was at a 'healthy' target because I would feel others wouldn't be able to see exactly what results they could achieve through the programme, and when I say healthy target I mean having maintained it for a significant amount of time. But that's just me, because to me sw isn't a 'diet' it's meant to be a lifetime food change. Obviously things happen and you can put weight back on but overall that's how I see it, if it was me personally becoming one.

My c shows everyone in the new members talk a photo of herself pre S W. She is almost at target now, she never talks about her own journey in IT and is very very very good at her job. I always ask her every week how she has done as I think its nice to acknowledge that she is also on a journey and I am on the social team so we have chance to have a chat before group starts.Weight of the consultant really wouldnt bother me so long as she is good at her job and I felt as if I could ask her anything, which is certainly the case with my c. She is just the best! :)

Back