How do you feel about large consultants?

mrsthunderbolt

Silver Member
Just wondered really what you think of the above?

Personally if I turned up for my initial meeting & the consultant was rather large it wouldn't inspire me.

My consultant's consultant is rather large to put it politely but she says she's fab (I have met her & she is a lovely lady).

We had a visit from the regional manager to our class recently and she was very very overweight. My first thoughts were that she didn't look a good 'ad' for sw especially as she was there to get us to encourage people to join. So yes I expect consultants to be role models and an ambassador for sw and have their own success story to tell in group.

I can understand if consultants aren't quite at target but I think they should be near. It is nice to know your consultant has been or is trying to lose weight too but if they are very large and you don't see any change it can be demotivating.

It wouldn't bother me either way, as long as they are knowledgeable regarding the eating plans, an were approachable and supportive. I think it's unfair to say all SW consultants should be slim/near target, how do we know they were not twice the size they are now before becoming a consultant? It's stereotyping all consultants to be the same, but like us they are human, and from time to time I'm sure they have gained weight/fallen off track but that just shows they understand where we are coming from. I think if someone is happy with their size or shape we should respect that, even if it is not what we see as ideal, SW is not just about losing weight, it's about finding out who you are and accepting it.

I think in a way it would be good as they are on the journey with you and are human with warts and all,
I see the point about being ambassadors, but if they are following the plan and losing then surely they are fulfilling this role.
A consultant who has lost 5 stone but still has an equal amount to lose is surely just as inspiring as one who has lost 2 stone and is at goal.
just my ramblingsx

My consultant is not skinny- but actually, that's what kept me going there.

I don't know why- but i think a skinny consultant would put me off- only because, i have been bullied a lot over the years by slim women. They were patronising and just plain mean....

Even though a "slimmer" C must have been bigger in the past, otherwise they wouldnt be a consultant, i tend to find her more approachable and less intimidating

There are a few target members in my group- so that was proof to me that it worked :D

A consultant who has lost 5 stone but still has an equal amount to lose is surely just as inspiring as one who has lost 2 stone and is at goal.
just my ramblingsx

Oh! i had a (kinda) similar conversation with a friend of mine about the "success stories" in the SW magazine

(i was due on and full of hormones- that was my excuse)

I was really disheartened that the "i lost double-digit stones on sw" stories were about guys (from the ones that ive seen)

I started with 10 stone to lose- and i would get soooooooo much more from someone who got their 5 stone award and was half way than someone who had 2 stone to target and got it.

Not that having a bit less to lose and getting to target isnt awesome-but it just wasnt something i could personally relate to, and sometimes i feel *that* fat, i just need a mini pickmeup, ya know?

but ya- slight hijack there, sowwie :(

Oh! i had a (kinda) similar conversation with a friend of mine about the "success stories" in the SW magazine

(i was due on and full of hormones- that was my excuse)

I was really disheartened that the "i lost double-digit stones on sw" stories were about guys (from the ones that ive seen)

I started with 10 stone to lose- and i would get soooooooo much more from someone who got their 5 stone award and was half way than someone who had 2 stone to target and got it.

Not that having a bit less to lose and getting to target isnt awesome-but it just wasnt something i could personally relate to, and sometimes i feel *that* fat, i just need a mini pickmeup, ya know?

but ya- slight hijack there, sowwie :(

I am so with you on this, I no longer read the "Success" stories in the SW mags I just cut out the recipes I want, as I was getting disheartened with reading things like "I was a big fat mess at 13st 5lbs" When I weigh far more now than their starting weight, and am starting to feel a bit better about myself, so steer clear of the stories unless they have lost 10st plus :) Its probably me being over sensitive though.

There have been a similar threads on this before. At the end of the day as long as the c has lost their weight on sw and knows the plan then fair play to them.

As someone with less to lose i have been concerned that a bigger c may not understand my situation and desire to lose weight. Ive had it from other members that i dont need to lose anymore. I would say my current c is about a size 14 which is where i started. But generally she is quite good about it and does actually have good advice for those with less to lose- like being realistic about how fast the pounds will go, watching portion sizes and syns. So she still knows her stuff and can still offer me advice.

I dont think its a problem them being overweight, so long as there's some sort of downward trend in the weight. My old consultant got bigger for a year!! She then left and I saw her working in debenhams and she was even bigger. She did not inspire me at all....but more because she wasn't practising what she was preaching!

I then had a lovely male consultant who had lost loads and still had loads to lose! He was great!

The consultant I have now is nearing target, but is human. For example she brought a pasta pot from tesco last week just before class...she realised it was 16 syns after she had eaten it!!!! lol!

hmmm.....now if they were loosing having been even bigger it wouldnt bother me.wouldnt bother me at all....in fact it could even be seen as a plus point.
if they were staying the same/getting bigger then im afraid i would just think that it wasnt worth bothering with.
there is a consultant around this area for example is big,always has been.....clearly isnt practicing what she is preaching and actually doesnt preach it all that well!!! that is the main factor for me in not going to her classes or if she covers mine.

that said i wouldnt be instantly happy with a complete stick who has hardly lost anything doing it either.

but you have to give people that chance because at the end of the day if they are doing their job and giving you good information then who cares what they do or how they do it - you are getting what you pay for.

ultimately you cant help first impressions...we all have them...its natural....its wether you check them out and confirm or rubbish them that matters.

I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

Well said kingleds. I know that with some other slimming clubs it is policy that consultants stay within a target range and if they put on weight they are no longer allowed to continue. How would you feel if someone told you that you were too overweight to do your job!!

I'm glad this on here, as a bigger girl myself I'm hoping one day to become a consultant and keeping my other job as a nurse.

I fear that people may look at me and think that I'm too big to do the role even though I have lost weight with Sw.

I thought about it and I think sometimes for larger figures it is so daunting going into a group where the c is stick thin. hmmm feel abit put off it now.

I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

:happy096::happy096:

Last edited:
My consultant is smaller but has big photos of herself out from when she was bigger. Knowing she has done what i want to do is encouraging. She also weighs herself at the club and shares her +/- in the lbs department. She is at target but sometimes struggles to stay within the 3lbs (not 100% if that is the rule cos i am NOT at target)
Her husband also attends and he too often had to pay again as he is out of the target range.

About 12 yrs ago (when i was young) i went to a SW where to C was a very large lady. When she tried to talk to me about my portion size and amount of (drink) syns i had consumed i found myself saying "is that your problem too??" she looked very shocked! I am not defending this outburst of mine...i believe now looking back it was * week and anyone trying to tell me i wasn't fallowing the plan correctly was gonna get a mouthfull! She tho had never discussed her own progress and i did wonder if she had ever tried sticking to it. Its not always easy after all!
To sum up: I think if the C is willing to share their experiences, either by photo or in the discussion, I would feel comforted that someone who has been in my possition is trying to help!

This i know will not be everyone's opinion!

I agree, if the C has had a weight loss journey thats all that matters, that shes been through the binges, weight loss, everything. x

I would be ok with a 'larger' consultant, if they were honest about their struggles and the challenges they face, which is the experience of those that attend.

My consultant was about a 16, I think any bigger might have been a bit off putting as others have said, you want to see that the plan works. Our regional manager also came by and she was a big lady, like a 20. She said she'd been doing sw for about 20yrs, and you have to wonder, why isn't she slim?

Back