How do you keep food fresh?

Alycyn1980

Addicted to Minimins!!!
Hey all

I am just after some advice. I love salad but cannot keep my lettuce to stay fresh. I prepare my lunch the night before & use the pre-shredded lettuce which looks great when I 1st open the pack but by time go to eat it & use the rest of the pack it has started going brown, this is also the case of fresh lettuce cut with a plastic knife. I have tried putting some kitchen roll in the bag/tub but makes no difference.

Also, same goes for fruit salad, would like to prepare this the night before but looks rotten by time would be eating it. I know they say to put lemon on it but I don't want the fruit to go sour!!! How do the supermarkets keep all the pre-prepared salads and fruit salads fresh? :greenapple:

Any hints and tips would be much appreciated and if there are threads already out there point me in the right direction as I did do a search but didn't see anything relevant.

hmm i have the prebagged stuff and it lasts 3 or 4 days, i just leave mine in the bag in the fridge salad drawer, or when i make it up the night before i just put my lunch box in the fridge with it in.

You can get bags that keep your fruit and veg fresher for longer - not tried them but heard good things about them. Available in b&m bargains or pound land could prob find them online too x

I use these ones 20 Stayfresh Longer Bags in preserving bags at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland and yes they do work. They are great in the fridge but I wouldn't use them to take stuff to work.

I would keep the lettuce separate with no dressing and mix it in when you are ready to eat. Fruit salad is tricky, even with lemon juice it's not as nice as when freshly made.

I did a quick google on the supermarket tricks and it seems to be a combo of spraying with sugar water and filling the packaging with CO2 as oxygen aids decomposition, who knew!

Fruit and vegetables start to deteriorate the moment they are cut - when air gets to the cut edges they start to oxidise which makes them go brown. Tearing leaves is better than cutting them (a plastic knife makes no difference).Packaged fruit and vegetables from the supermarket are in what they call a "protective atmosphere" which helps to preserve them up to the moment that the package is broken into, then they react just like fresh.You don't have to put so much lemon juice on a fruit salad that would make it sour - just a squeeze would help as long as you mixed it in well. Lime juice is even nicer.But the best thing is to leave the preparation until the last minute. I wouldn't make a fruit salad in advance - I would take the fruit and cut it up just before I was going to eat it.I used to have sandwiches for lunch when I worked - I would make the cheese or egg or ham or whatever sandwich and wrap it up, then take a few lettuce leaves and a tomato separately, slice the tomato and add it and the lettuce to the sandwich just before I ate it. Can't stand soggy sandwiches.I know people who use the stay fresh bags and say that they are very good.

I cut up a whole pineapple, melon & berries once a week & keep in a clip & lock box in the fridge - its fine for about 5 days. The boxes are airtight & I guess this is why it doesn't go brown.

Years ago when I actually went to a class the SW consultant told us that when we made fruit salad we should chop the fruit and then cover it with diet lemonade and it would keep for the best part of a week in the fridge. Usually works for me.

Thanks every1. I jst like 2 prepare the night b4 as i am up @ 530 everyday & have no time in morn, takes me all my time 2 get myself out the door!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using MiniMins

Alycyn1980 said:
Thanks every1. I jst like 2 prepare the night b4 as i am up @ 530 everyday & have no time in morn, takes me all my time 2 get myself out the door!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using MiniMins

Definitely sprinkle with lemon juice :)

I find that the bagged lettuce/salad leaves go off really quickly. BUT I've found a fantastic one that lasts ages. Its in Tescos and called something like "fresh and naked" and theres 2 mixed bag varieties. They honestly last and last. And they are quite cheap for bagged leaves.

I have started shopping every few days,... i couldnt buy enough fruit and veg to last, get my husband or children to go so i dont spend on any extras that i shouldnt....

I have started shopping every few days,... i couldnt buy enough fruit and veg to last, get my husband or children to go so i dont spend on any extras that i shouldnt....

I would do this but we are 8miles from the nearest supermarket!! I used to do this when I was at my last job as an hour for lunch so could easily nip out to the local Asda and pick some things up but only get half hour now (plus limited parking spaces) and at night the traffic is a nightmare so going near a supermarket is a no no!!!! Might need to scope out some local farm shops and see what they have on offer!!!!

In Tesco today this is buy one get one free.£1 a bag and there are 4 different ones.Not bad for .50p a bag.

Yes I stocked up yesterday - its really tasty too

Back