How do you make the perfect syn free SW chips?

raquelscatt

I just cannot get these SW syn free chips right!

They never look like the pictures and end up being a mushy burnt mess!!

How do you do yours - please!!

Hiya,

I peel mine and part boil them for 5 mins. I make sure the oven is pre hearted to about 200 degrees.

I then spray the pan first with fry light and leave while i drain the pots. Once i have drained them i give them a good shake up in the drainer to get the edges a little rough.

I leave them for 4 - 5 mins just in the drainer. I then put them into the pan i have sprayed with frylight and spray them again.

I then pop them in the oven and leave them for at least 20 mins before turning so one side has started to go crispy..

Hope this helps xx

Hiya,

I havnt tried the proper SW chips as per the recipes yet but last week I peeled some potatoes into flat circles (almost like potato smilies) & put them in my George Foreman grill to see how that would go, after about 10-15 mins (& spraying fry-light) they'd only just started to brown but were actually ready to eat. They looked like they needed much longer but were crispy enough on the outside & actually tasted pretty good!

I haven't made them for ages, but I'm always pleased with mine...

Peel the spuds.
Cut into chips (but not too big).
Par-boil for about 5 mins til outside is slightly soft but still firm inside.
Drain and allow to cool.
Return to pan and shake lightly to fluff the outsides.
Spray baking tray with frylight. Spread chips out evenly and spray thoroughly with frylight.
Pop into pre-heated oven until crispy and golden. Turn part way through cooking if necessary.

That should work! The two key stages I think are a) not boiling them for too long and b) allowing them to cool so moisture is removed.

I leave the skins on and either cut into big wedges (about 6 per bigish potato) or chunky chips.

Par boil for 5 mins or until soft, drain well.

Spray tray with Fry Light, pour pots on, spray well with Fry Light and make sure they are spread out.

Put at very top of the oven on 220 degs for 20 mins, then turn. If they are soft in the middle, turn the oven up to max to get the to brown off nicely.

I'm lazy and i hardly ever par-boil my chips - i just cut the potato, skin on or skin off and spray the tray with plenty of fry-light (i use a pizza tray with holes in it) and then put the chips on the tray and spray some more. Pop them in the oven at about 200 for about 30mins or until they are nicely brown, i turn them about 20mins in.....i think they are delish even if they aren't all roughed up like they should be!

I so love SW chips.

I preheat oven and place a tray into oven.

I peel my potatoes and cut into wedges, par boil them for 5-10 mins.

Drain off the water and leave for 5 mins

I then spray them with frylite and season with cracked pepper.

I then place them onto the HOT tray from the oven so that they sizzle (This prevents them from sticking - a trick I learnt from a gordon ramsey programme)

Leave in oven for 30 mins turning occasionally and hey presto Perfect chips

For me, I don't peel them, I chop into wedge shapes or chip shapes, par boil for for 5-10 mins in vegetable stock, drain and leave to dry (thats my top tip, leave them to dry). Meanwhile I put a baking tray sprayed with Buttery Frylight (another top tip) and heat it up a bit. Put the chips on the tray and spray with Frylight (and seasonings if you want eg cajun) then bake for about 40 mins (I like my quite crispy!!). Yummy.

I used to par-boil the chips first, as a few have said here, but then my consultant mentioned that instead she sprays the raw chips with frylight, puts them in a microwave bowl and starts them off in the microwave instead for about 5 mins. I find that much quicker.

If you want crunchier chips then the secret is to scuff up the edges after microwaving/boiling and cooling. Put them in a pan with the lid on and give them a good toss about in some frylight.

Another key to better and faster cooking is to use a mesh tray as both sides cook at once then. I've got one that I won in a SW class raffle and I've used it LOADS! It's like a black plastic mesh, square shaped with the edges turned up to create a tray shape. You can apparently get them in Home & Bargains for about £2 or Instore or B&M Bargains for about £3. It's pot luck which stores have them in.

Bon apetit!

I was having the same problem, not getting very good FREE chips but I think I have found the secret, LEAVE THEM TO COOL!!!!! I will try this tonight! Thanks guys!

I do the same as others have said - par boil for 5 mins, drain then leave in pan for a couple of mins then give them a shake. Then I spread them out on some kitchen towel to dry out completely before spraying some fry light on a pizza tray with little holes in it and spreading the potato on it then bang it in the oven. They take about 30-35 mins to get them nice and crispy but well worth it. My family now prefers them to frozen chips....which means twice as much peeling :rolleyes:

I used to par-boil the chips first, as a few have said here, but then my consultant mentioned that instead she sprays the raw chips with frylight, puts them in a microwave bowl and starts them off in the microwave instead for about 5 mins. I find that much quicker.

If you want crunchier chips then the secret is to scuff up the edges after microwaving/boiling and cooling. Put them in a pan with the lid on and give them a good toss about in some frylight.

Another key to better and faster cooking is to use a mesh tray as both sides cook at once then. I've got one that I won in a SW class raffle and I've used it LOADS! It's like a black plastic mesh, square shaped with the edges turned up to create a tray shape. You can apparently get them in Home & Bargains for about £2 or Instore or B&M Bargains for about £3. It's pot luck which stores have them in.

Bon apetit!

I could have posted this VodkaM!! That is exactly what I do and with the same mesh thingy (I got mine in Instore for £2). I sometimes sprinkle over some garlic salt, delish!

I picked up some great tips for sw chips off this site last week, and have had brilliant success this week. I par boil, then spray a tray with fry lite, add the chips and spray them ( a lot because a little doesnt really have a good effect), and salt them. I also spray about half way through. I cook mine really hot at about gas 7-8 for about 35 minutes until they are crispy and brown. I must be enjoying them cause had them last night and tonight too lol

Peel them, slice them, wash them, dry them, spray with frylite and bung them in my actifry. Lovely

i think the sercet of making them right is letting them dry well. mine r aways lovely i have my whole house eating them now.

i do mine under the grill!
whac the grill up to full...
chop up the tatties, cook in microwave in hot water for five mins, drain and wrap in a tea towel to absorb moisture, whack them on a pre fry light sprayed baking tray ( i normally warm it through so when you put the chips on it sizzles) spray more fry light and sprinkle over rock salt and rosemary...cook for about 10 mins, shake them a bit and return to the heat until cooked...hmmmmm!

Back