Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

How do you manage Atkins with kids around?

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by swissie, 12 May 2011 Social URL.

1. swissie

swissie Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(3.07%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    I know it's a strange question maybe but I would like to know how the mothers out there could manage staying on Atkins while also cooking for their family? I tried south beach and montignac low carb diets before and i kept making the same sort of meals for my family. Just added a carb to the dish, such as pasta or rice. My children are very small so they like their pasta and rice as well as their meat and veggies. But I do get tired of it sometimes and I want to make one dish for everyone like pizza or lasagna, which you can't have with low carb way. How do you manage? I prefer to cook fresh meals for my family, I hardly buy takeaway or a frozen meal.
    I've been trying ww for about 3 weeks but I am looking around atkins to see if I can integrate that to ww, just for the sake of controlling my portions. I don't like my sugar cravings.
    :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. mustdoit

mustdoit susan

Diet:
    atkins
    mine are older but i just cook the same but they have the carbs ........ like tonight pork chops and veg .......... mashed potatoes for the lads ............ oooooooooooooh but i could lick the spoon that i dish it out with !! xxx

4. swissie

swissie Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(3.07%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    Oh I know that feeling.. same when baking cookies... :)

5. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    I don't have children but when my nephews are around I give them what I am having more or less. Kids don't need carbs at every single meal. So if I am having salad I might cook a few salad potatoes for them or put their salad in sandwiches. If I am having egg and bacon they will have a piece of toast with theirs. It seems to work quite well.
    It is the fallacy that kids need carbs at every meal that causes childhood obesity.

Last edited: 13 May 2011
  6. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Although my are long flown I do most of the cooking, I just add potato's or rice or pasta for my wife, and skip them for myself and have extra veggies instead. My only problem is when she wants lentils, I love them, but the carb overload does me in. LOL

7. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Oh Jim, I so miss my lentils............:sigh:

8. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    So do I leanne, but I feel awful after eating them now

9. swissie

swissie Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(3.07%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    Thanks for the replies. I'm already doing something like that. :) I hardly cook and white pasta anyway. I make my own bread from spelt or wholemeal most of the time or I buy spelt bread. Even the kids are used to it. Day 3 today. So far I feel really good. Just little headaches from time to time but last time I did low carb I was better after the 3rd day, so I'm hoping it's the same this time.
    Jim I love my lentils too. Especially lentil soup. I miss them but I hope I can introduce them back in my diet at some point. :)

10. Leanne1

Leanne1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.25%)
    Diet:
    Low carb
    Do you have a slow cooker? I use mine when the nephews are staying over and cook a big casserole type thingy. Then I can put lots of low carb stuff in it with a few spuds for them. :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.