How do you stop yourself?

Fern what I have started doing in those situations is to do nothing else at all whilst I am eating it. I sit on a hard chair no TV or music and stare at a blank wall. it somehow takes the pleasure out of eating for the sake of eating. i did this because I found myself eating a chocolate really fast because the guilt would pass quicker. What i learnt, is to focus totally on the chosen food and concentrate on every mouthfull chewing it and tasting it and then swallowing. It took longer to eat but I couldn't be bothered to have another one. It works for me and could be worth a go xxxx
I have started to do something similar, where i suck My chocolate buttons lol. Sounds funny now I type it but tbh I would normally Hoover chocolate in a really bad way. When I do it like this I do genuinely feel like I am getting a treat, without overdoing my sins.

Also I was wondering what the thought processes were behind some of you thinking a treat nite is a must? Can you not incoorporate a small treat in to your day and cut out the treat nite all together? It just feels to me, and I don't mean for this to sound harsh, but it feels from my own point of view to be like a form of self sabotage. Which does seem quite common in dieters. It just seems such a shame to undo such brilliant work all for the want of 20 seconds of pleasure followed by crippling guilt. Is it ever really worth it?

Funny way of looking at it:

When someone drinks alcohol with friends, they are sociable, when they drink it alone, they have a problem.

Replace 'drinks alcohol' with 'binges on food that isn't good for their health'.

:)

Do you actually enjoy treat night? Is it affecting your weight? If you enjoy it, and it doesn't affect your weight, then I can't see a problem with it.

However, if you are just stuffing the food in while standing inthe kitchen - thats not a treat! To me treat night is a preplanned treat, where I sit and savour and enjoy every bite. Then I really enjoy, feel satisfied, and don't feel guilty.

I don't actually have one treat night, I have a small treat everyday instead.

I think the tip above about starting the new week right after ww is perfect. Maybe come home and do your meal planning for that week right after class, while you are still motivated from it.

I have completely stopped my treat night. Mine was also getting a bit much - big bags of sweets, and lots of cheese and crackers as well as a non-SW meal.
Total - approx 70 syns ( a weeks worth). It wasn't until I totted all the syns up one night that I realised I needed to lose that excess before I could hope for any loss that week and it wasn't worth it to me.

I also take biscuits from a pack (when it's not Lent!) and put them on a plate rather than eating from the packet without realising how many I'm eating and I now save my A choice for cheese and use a B choice for ryvita or syn some crackers (tiny water biscuits, 1 syn).

We can have anything we want on SW, you know that Fern. Make a pact with your friend to not have the treat night for a few weeks but have something on plan. Make a fab SW dinner but a luxury one (for me this is a posh curry or macaroni cheese!) and enjoy that instead.

You can do this Fern.

I meant to add, sometimes the solution is not to have the food available to you for a while. Eventually you need to learn to control yourself around the food, but in the meantime maybe keep it out of the house? I realise that you will need to have stuff for your other half, but maybe try and get him things you aren't tempted by yourself? I keep my daughters treats in a tin up high in the kitchen, and it wouldn't occur to me to touch it as its hers. I don't but a lot of biccies, as hubby isn't that bothered. I only buy them when I am expecting visitors, and even then I choose ones that I don't like lol.

Lots of good advice on here, people. Thanks for being so honest, Fern. I have just eaten 2 Crunchie biscuits at 4 syns each, and am feeling a bit guilty about it! Why do we do it, eh? I have written it in my food diary, though. So all above board!!

Funny way of looking at it:

When someone drinks alcohol with friends, they are sociable, when they drink it alone, they have a problem.

Replace 'drinks alcohol' with 'binges on food that isn't good for their health'.

:)

Thanks Magic, love that.

I don't have extras after WI as it's too close to binge eating which I suffered with for so long. I want to put that behind me and eat normally.

My C has a sign by her scales saying something along the lines of - your new week starts after you step off the scales. I like that. My class were joking that syns eaten after WI disappear into a black hole and don't count! Some indulge, most don't.

Thank you so much guys, and your right. I do need to stop, all im doing is upsetting myself for nothing, feeling like crap. I managed to only eat 5 biccys tues night, and for the first time in a long time managed to be really good all day wed, but .. after weighing myself at my mums, i sts.. and decided to not go to weigh in, i then ate 3 jam donuts *hangs head in shame*.. but then .. and what made me feel really bad, is my best friend bless her cottons, was so good.. and we had a chipping (small chips and battered sausage with some ketchup) and she made me a fruit salad for dessert, rather than the usual chocolate brownie cheesecake slice and extra thickl cream (which btw, is 35 syns per 142ml. )

i took on board all your advise last night and i totted up all the syns that i spend between a tues night and throughout wed to wed eve on an average, and it worked out at almost 200 syns. I am shocked, that i have managed to lose even a pound on these last couple of months.

i have vigorously planned my first ever red week. Low syns and packed with loads of fresh fruit and veg. Im excited, and i feel so determined. My size tens are a little tight and it makes me feel sick that its my own fault. I feel a fraud being used as an example in class, when all i do is go home and binge.. but no more. I have asked my mum to cook me a sw friendly meal, which shes really good at bless her, on a tues eve and i will go there for tea to avoid being at home alone with the biscuit tin, iv dedicated a a cupboard, for all joes crisps and biscuits and other lunch box goodies and stuck a photo of one of my most hated fat photos on it... and joes getting reall tough on me when it comes to eating his food, which will do me good.

So far today iv had chopped banana, grapes, vlf nat yog sweetened with sweetener and 2 crumpled up alpens,.. i have sweet chilli chicken salad with ryvita minis for dinner and an orange and a plum as snacks.. tonight tea will be steak wit roasted peppers and more salad.

im really excited :)

and it made me realise after my breakfast this morn that although i always have alpen lights in the morn and some fruit, and a yog.. chopping it up and having it all together so i feel full rather than picking at each bit one by one..means i dont continue picking on other stuff.

xxxx

All really good advice here. The only thing I can add is that in the past I used to have treat night after WI and act like the syns don't matter (when we all know they do!!). So this past week, I only had about 45 syns over 6 days up til WI. Then WI night, I think I had about 15 syns on chocolate and maybe another 5 on picky things (like cheese which I didn't weigh but assumed was my A allowance).

Normally on a Wed I would wake up feeling guilty becuase of treat night and knowing that I'm starting the week down on syns already but this week, I knew that I could allocate those syns towards the past week and start from scratch on Wed with my new week of syns feeling confident because even though I had a treat and felt like I splurged, I still was within my syns for the whole week.

Does that make sense??? I also agree about taking the biscuits out first and leaving the packet in the cupboard. I'm like that with Mikados. If I sit and eat them out of the pack whilst watching TV then I've easily eaten a whole box without realising it or I forget how many I've had!

unfortunatly theres no way out of treat night tomo, as its the one night of the week i see my best friend and as she doesnt sw too, its her treat night to eat what she likes also, if i sat and ate a salad i know it'd make her feel like she should be too, and thats unfair.

Unfair? Are you being fair to yourself? Your friend is an adult and can eat what she chooses. You are also an adult, and should not act like a doormat.

Losing weight is very difficult, and you need to spend all your effort thinking about yourself, and your weight loss. You should not eat something you don't want because you think someone else wants you to eat it. You need to decide what your priorities are, and you should not let someone else decide this for you.

Just my view. Feel free to disagree.

Annie

hey hun,
i see what you saying, in the end she made a fruit salad for dessert which was lovley.. i know exactly what your saying an your right.. i spose its just because we both have our one night together, and use that as our treat night as its no fun having 'treats' on your own? if that makes any sence.

x

Back