How do you work out points in certain circumstances?

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by Buttons, 8 April 2007 Social URL.

1. Buttons

Buttons Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Today I went to my MILs for dinner.

For my lunch, I was good. Only 1 yorkshire pud, 1 slice of meat etc.

Then dessert came around!

Now I havent told the in-laws I am on a diet as I dont want to draw attention to the fact and feel any pressure etc.

Now, back to my dessert! I only had a teeny-ish portion of sticky toffee pudding and custard. How should I point this? It wasnt a big portion.

What do you do in situations like these? over point, or under point & hope for the best?

I dont like eating out when I cant calculate what I am eating! Grrrr :banghead:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hi Buttons
    What i would normaly do if went out for a meal would be to forget that day and get back on track the next day thats my opinion

4. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hi Buttons

Have you got WW Shopping Guide and/or Eating out guides?

The shopping guide is great for things like that. You can usually find either the thing youve had or one very similar and gauge it like that. Ive found that the easiest way in the past. For instance a portion of Sainsburys sticky toffee pudding is 6 points :)

Eating out as you know doesnt mean you have to go off your diet, or write the day off. Most means are possible to work out whether theyre at someones house or at a restaurant.

Thats one of the advantages of WW, you can have a 'normal' social life and NOT go off your diet :)

5. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I just write the diet of for one day dont see how it will make much difference ive done that before sometimes you can be too strict .

6. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Writing off a day can and very probably will make all the difference between losing weight that week and not. Believe me Ive been there, done that and regretted it. I dont see the point in writing a day off when you dont have to.

Since I started WW Ive had my nieces birthday, my other nieces christening, a night away in a 4 star hotel, several meals out... Ive managed to incorporate them all into my diet, I did go a bit over at the 4 star hotel but then counting was very hard... however the rest of that week I saved points. Despite all those and other nights out Ive still lost over 2 stones in a couple of months.

For this or any diet to succeed you need to stick at it - every day

7. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Well ihave done this before and still lost weight so it proofs that it can be done

8. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Fair enough Bethany I think itll be up to Buttons now to decide what to do with her meal out today. Its a personal choice I just know that sticking to it has helped me lose almost 2.5 stones in a couple of months.

As I said Im not saying you shouldnt write off days but IMO it should only be a last resort with the help of calculators and books you can work out points for most things.

I guess it just depends how badly you want to lose the weight at the end of the day

9. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Ok fair enough im not saying anything wrong

Im just saying what i would do

So buttons ive given you some advice as what i would do but other people dont agree

10. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Everyone deals with these situations differently, it depends on the individual really.

In my experience, it's definitely best to try and work out your points as best you can. Like Bethany I do tend to write a day off when I've been out or something, but I find it really hard to get back on track the next day and it does affect your weight loss (that's not to say you won't lose weight that week because that's not the case at all, but it is possible you could lose a little less than you would have if you'd counted your points - I hope that makes sense).

Everyone is different, Starlight has done brilliantly following weight watchers and she ALWAYS counts her points. She's lost a fantastic amount of weight and she seems to get a real sense of achievement when she goes out and still manages to stick to her diet. I however have not done so well on my diet, because I write off a day far too easily.

So, in my opinion (and it is just my opinion - I'm not saying I'm right!) it's much better to try and stick with it. Counting your points, even when it's hard to do and you just have to guess it, not only helps keeps your diet on track but it'll really give you a boost. The feeling of "wow, I did really well today even though it was really really hard!" is a real incentive to carry on, and it really makes you feel like you can do it!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.