How have your tastebuds changed?

Money-penny

Eating dinner tonight, Lasagne with SW Chips and salad I realised that I actually now prefer SW chips to "proper" ones, they somehow taste better now even though when I started I found them bland and wondered how I would ever stick to plan - I was at a restaurant last saturday and just didn't enjoy the chips there as much as I was expecting!

How have your tastebuds changed since you began following Slimming World? Any unexpected changes in taste?

I love chips, choccy and wine but since losing weight I like them but no longer love them! My SW chips are ace, and as much as I love some from the chippy I wouldnt want to eat them more than once in a while. I have also gone off cakes etc - I think they're lovely to look at it, but I am quite happy with a huge slab of my half syn swiss roll x

I've gone off crisps as well - used to love my cheese and onion. Now the very sight of them in the vending machine at work makes me feel sick wondering how I ever managed to pack so much of it into my gob!

I think I enjoy food generally more than I did previously. The taste I mean. Thinking more about what you consume makes you appreciate it more if that makes sense. :-/

I have noticed this too. Pizza no longer interests me and I also made a huge birthday cake for my step dad which before I would have devoured huge chunks of had me feeling sickly after two very small bites! Not that I am complaining my sweet tooth was always the root to.my problem so I am glad that fresh fruit is now what I turn to rather than chocolate.

I'm really put off food that's really greasy liked fried breakfasts and chippy chips. Also if I eat too much I get terrific heartburn which is a great incentive to eat in moderation.

You have to remember that these changes are not permanent, though, as you could soon get the taste back for fatty foods. Otherwise, why would 95% of successful slimmers regain all the weight (and more)?

You have to remember that these changes are not permanent, though, as you could soon get the taste back for fatty foods. Otherwise, why would 95% of successful slimmers regain all the weight (and more)?

Aye, "could" being the operative word and only IF you start eating crap like that again. It works both ways but I choose not to think so negatively. Negativity is the grease that lubricates the slide all the way back to obesity.

I now LOVE olives.
I can taste salt in premade food.
I get drunk sooo quick (not really taste bud issue, just a lack of alcohol issue)

I always loved fresh homemade food anyway, but the thought of eating a macdonalds now actually makes me gag!

Even at my biggest I didn't add salt to my food at all (since watching an eye opening documentary when I was around 11) but when I was eating junk I was always amazed that anyone accompanying me to a mcdonalds or a chippy seemed to drench their food in additional salt... mcdonalds chips always tasted like they had tonnes of salt on them already to me but to people who added salt to their meals regularly they didn't seem to taste it the same way as I did!

I've even made meals for family and told them there was no need to season since I had already done so during cooking - before they even tried a bit they got the salt shaker out and added more. Mesmerises me tbh!

Salt is bad for us too!!

I could never taste it in premade food and takeaways! But after going without it for so long it's the first thing I taste.

Often is overpowers the actual taste of the food.

Aye, "could" being the operative word and only IF you start eating crap like that again. It works both ways but I choose not to think so negatively. Negativity is the grease that lubricates the slide all the way back to obesity.

You call it negativity, I call it realism. I don't seem to have done too badly.

Deffo lost my sweet tooth, i used to be able to snaffle a big bar of Galaxy, i can just about cope with a penguin nowadays, i also can't stand anything in batter anymore.

:)

I think part of it is that you don't just enjoy the taste of healthier foods, you enjoy being able to eat a tasty and filling meals without feeling guilt and shame about it afterwards (or even during.)

Greasy food actually makes me feel sick now but I do still like sweet stuff but very much in moderation. I have a chocolate options and alpen light choc and fudge bar and this curbs any sweet craving in the evening. I dont really crave any "bad" food anymore. And yes I would definately class myself as a successful slimmere and within the 5% having been at target nearly 12 months. No going back now! :)

I gave up added fat (butter/spread etc) years ago on sandwiches/jacket spuds/veg and cant bear the taste of it now. I like a wettish filling on me spud and will have extra light mayo on a sandwich (if I ever have one that I make myself)

Ooo mayo (heave big time). I know what you mean now about butter, although I still like it, if I make a butty I never put butter on it. A baked spud I put cheese on, but did you know you can buy something called butter buds which tastes a bit like butter (apparently) with little cals. :)

Back