How many calories?

hartleyhare123

Hi , I'm new to this and have a huge amount of weight to lose, I'm at 19.7, I lost over 2 stone at slimming world but gave up n have put it all plus more on :(

Can anyone tell me how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight and any tips on boosting this to get me feeling motivated again?
Thank you x
For some reason, I can't search on ipad, it comes up with everything, not just what I've asked to look for?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hiya, welcome to calorie counting! I too used to do slimming world lost nearly 2 stone then put it all back on, i love calorie counting because i'm not restricted to what foods i can eat which makes meal times much easier if your cooking for more than just yourself, everyone is individual in what cals they need we have a sticky on the forum which is here: http://www.minimins.com/calorie-counting/202903-answer-how-many-calories-should-i-eat.html which will tell you what to do to work out what cals you should be eating etc I find looking at diaries and writing a diary on here keeps me motivated, we all support each other which has been a big help for me! also if you have a smartphone having the my fitness pal app is a fab piece of kit you'll want if your calorie counting, you can use it online too its all free you can record everything you have eaten, i love it on my phone it comes with a scanner so you can just scan the packaging with your phone's camera and pick how much you have eaten and it records it for you so that also keeps me on track..

Hope that helps, Good luck :D

If you download myfitness pal app it works out the calories for you and it is also a diary and has loads of foods stored in it so you can do it on the run and you can also scan the barcodes. Hope this helps abit

Hi there, I'm using a different approach with calorie counting and using my TDEE - but instead of telling you how to figure yours out as it can be complicated lol - heres a link :)

TDEE Calculator

and then when you have your TDEE you need to take away 30% and you can eat at that calorie number and still lose weight :)

Hope that helps

Kellie mum of 4 said:
If you download myfitness pal app it works out the calories for you and it is also a diary and has loads of foods stored in it so you can do it on the run and you can also scan the barcodes. Hope this helps abit

I would check elsewhere on calories to be honest, as MFP seems to set them a bit low for some people - I've always overridden its suggestion and set my own. If you Google TDEE and BMR there are lots of free online calculators. Good luck! :) xx

My Fitness Pal told me yesterday that I should eat 1660 calories per day. I've just checked the link that you posted for the other website, it says I should be eating 2160 calories per day. Is this calorie allowance to maintain weight?

To maintain weight you just follow what the calculator says, but if you want to lose weight you need to subtract 20% or 30% if you have loads to lose :) So if that figure is after you've subtracted then you have the right number. I know it seems a lot though it does work! I'm doing high intensity workout and also calorie counting with TDEE - 20% and I've lost 3lbs in the first week :) If you exercise with that number you don't eat the calories back! its included :) If you're doing it on MFP then you eat the calories back.

To maintain weight you just follow what the calculator says, but if you want to lose weight you need to subtract 20% or 30% if you have loads to lose :) So if that figure is after you've subtracted then you have the right number. I know it seems a lot though it does work! I'm doing high intensity workout and also calorie counting with TDEE - 20% and I've lost 3lbs in the first week :) If you exercise with that number you don't eat the calories back! its included :) If you're doing it on MFP then you eat the calories back.

Thanks for the advice :) xx

Back