How many steps????

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by charlie, 2 May 2007 Social URL.

1. charlie

charlie Member

Just put my pedometer on this a.m for the first time............ how many stpes should i be doing a day?. x
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. Geri

Geri Gold Member

You'd better get walking lol it's 10,000 :eek: :D

If you're not used to walking, gradually try and build up to that!

good luck! :)
  4. charlie

charlie Member

Thanks, only done 384 so far and that is only been to the loo and back!. x
  5. hippoellie

hippoellie CDC

Hi Charlie- to be classed as active you must try for 10,000 steps per day- its a bit of a challenge esp if you have a desk-based job, or are at home caring. Constant loo stops do help though!

The average steps for people in the Uk is only 3,000- so if you aim to exceed that every day for the first week you can give yourself a pat on the back- then try to build up- I managed to peak at 11500 per day average, but I was on holiday that week and walked a lot. My typical average now is about 7,500 (must do better!)- simply walking round the block for 5 minutes can add a thousand steps easily, so it is possible to get there.

For weight loss and improved fitness you need to get to 12-15000 steps per day- I actually have done more than 20000 in a day, but I literally did not stop walking all day- must have been on my feet for at least 10 hours to achieve it!

Make the most of the summer nights and go out for a short stroll after your last food intake of the day if you can, its amazing how it adds up if you just try a little bit.
  6. sonkie

sonkie Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    measure up
    Hi Charlie I havent yet managed to reach 10,000 though I am walking more than I used to so it must be a good thing.
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.