How much do you spend a week on food?

Esther Fester

Hi guys, just wanted to start a discussion on this to see what the general consensus is out there, I seem to be spending about 40 pounds a week on food just for me, seems a lot but then I think I'm not buying take aways or lunch at work anymore so probably saving money?

Whats are your guys thoughts? xx

I spend probably at least £30, but I never actually use everything in my cupboard.
I'm going to make a conscious effort to empty my cupboards before going shopping, and buy cheaper stuff, it's a lot of money when you get £100 a week, have to give £25 rent to my Nanna and buy food! xxx

Im about the same, I do a tescos (grrrr!) delivery once a week always about £50 but that includes lots for the freezer and cupboards so I dont always eat that food, and yes thats all just for me :D

My shopping bill varies, but its about £40 a week as well. But thats for me and the boyfriend who is also following Slimming World. I think it depends what you by, as lots of meat can push the price of your shopping up compared to buying pasta and rice etc...

I always plan my weekly meals and only shop for that plan so I dont "overshop" and I always use everything up that I have in my cupboards and freezer.

I spend around £70, sometimes £80 (just for three of us). Since started on SW I spend more on extra lean meat and veg.Stopped using supermarkets for fruit and veg and started to use local markets (fresh stuff)

I generally spend £12-15 a week just for me. Some weeks it's a bit more, maybe £20-25 if I'm stocking up on lentils and frozen fruit.

Back in February (just found an old thread) Lifeline Online had a £35 for the week 7 day meal plan.

It may be still be on there with a bit of searching (I daren't be logged on much longer as at work so can't check!!)

I can spend 40-60 a week, sometimes more, sometimes less and that's for 3 of us.

If you think it's a lot then look at what you buy - do you buy muller lights? alpen light bars? supernoodles, mugshots, savoury rice or any of the other expensive HEX's and free foods?

I know people spend a fortune on mullers and alpen lights as well as out of season fruit, these are the things to look at if you think your bill is high.

I should add that I don't buy any salad or veg at the moment as it's all in my garden!

Last edited:
I spend between 50-80 for 3, however, yesterday I went shopping and had run out of everything and it came to £108!! Ooops!

I spend about £40 on myself for a week. I'm a bug*er for not using up the stuff in my cupboard though. Currently I have a glut of tinned tomatoes and mugshots!

about £60 a week for 2 of us - but we tend to eat out on weekends, so reality is its about another £40 on eating out - so £100 a week.

Gah! x

hi, I used to only shop at Tesco so for 3 of us and pets it was usually £110 a week but since SW I shop at Aldi and Tesco and have got it down to £70 -80. Take out was about £20 -30 a week too so I am saving quite a bit of money these days. However I do buy a lot of eggs and mugshots now lol :)
Hi guys, just wanted to start a discussion on this to see what the general consensus is out there, I seem to be spending about 40 pounds a week on food just for me, seems a lot but then I think I'm not buying take aways or lunch at work anymore so probably saving money?

Whats are your guys thoughts? xx

I'm not too sure how much I spend weekly, I reckon around £30 for just me. I spend a lot of money on salad and vegetables. Sometimes I eat salad every day for lunch, and salad items aren't exactly cheap. I think sometimes being on a diet is more expensive than eating crappy food, you can get 5 chocolate bars for £1 near where I live, but you can't even get 1 pack of cherry tomatos for that price ;)

Oops, i spend about £150 a week for 4 of us ( teenage boy as well) I do mainly red days and lean meat soon adds up. I am planning to try and cut back a bit and get it down to £100 a week.

Um, mine varies but the most would be £100 for 4 adults and that includes a takeaway for me and DH on a Saturday night.

I use Ocado and have cut my shopping bill down since doing so although now I'm on SW I will go to Morrisons or Sainsburys purely for yoghurts and alpen lights if the offers are on and better.

Mine varies as if good offers are on I will stock up if I can. I bought 480 tea bags last week to add to the other 480 I've already got:eek:

The big PLUS for me of doing online shopping is that is no chocolate shouting BUY ME whilst I'm wandering up and down aisles or stood at checkout.

I shop in Lidl for most fruit & veg and fizzy diet juice for me for about £30, and it lasts a lot longer than tesco. but if there's anything I cant get at Lidl I get it at Tesco. all in, incl the family's other stuff, i'd say about £60 a week minimum!!

OMG OMG OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: I so can not let my DH see this thread..... he will totally kill me....... I spend £110 ish a week and then have to pop back 2/3 times each week cos I forget stuff and that comes to another £50/£60 So that's nearly £200 a week and there's only DH the children (12 and 10) and moi!!!!!!! Oh someone please help me..... where am I going wrong :cry::cry: I try to save money and have tried to do things like not buy Andrex or Tropicana but I just like the nice stuff :cry: :cry:

try shopping online Piglet xxxx or just keep buying the good stuff - no harm if you can afford it babes xxx

Back