How much water is too much?

kerry b

Silver Member
Sound like a silly question. Today I have drunk 3 ltrs of water and have started on my 4th. At lunchtime I couldnt eat all my sandwiches and struggled to eat my fruit because I felt so full after 2ltrs. I feel that wanting to eat less food is a good thing but when should you call a halt to how much water you drink? I could probably have another litre or 2 before bed which would take me up to 4/5 ltrs. Will it have a negative effect if it means im not eating all of my planned meals including the 1/3 superfree?

Well I do not think you can drink too much water if you are drinking what you are comfortable with; your body will eliminate whatever it doesn't use by sending it straight to your bladder ;) . As for not being able to actually eat and follow the plan properly, I'm not sure (I'm not on this plan). Hopefully somebody else has some words of widsom on the matter :D :eek:

it can be dangerous to drink too much water , I would say 4 litres is enough for anyone , and you shouldnt drink any more really , this should be spread out during the day and nt all drunk in one go , drinking too much can overwork your kidneys and either cause damage to them or even cause swelling of the brain !! BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Why is too much water dangerous?

It is possible to overdose on water.
Women especially as it dilutes the salt in your body.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

PLUS you'll be up peeing all night! lol I've been told that when your pee is almost clear is a good level of water, as clear pee or very light yellow means your healthy or something. :)

Yes its like being pregnant again:p and I am very definately healthy lol. Its just as well I work as a nanny and not in a shop or office as it would be getting a bit embarrassing the amount of time I now spend in the loo.

Thats an interesting article, not something I had heard before. Will stop at maybe 3ltrs per day.

Just read that article and it would appear that it may have been the cause of my headache on Sunday. Eeep!

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

That article is a bit misleading because if I remember rightly the woman who died drank about 7 pints of water in a really short period of time, certainly less than an hour, which is ridiculous. I don't think think there is anything wrong with drinking 4 or 5 litres spread out over the whole day.

The water issue comes up time and again, and as long as you are spreading your water out through out the day and not guzzling pint upon pint you should be fine. Everyone is different -I drink around 6lt of water a day -more when Im exercising (I drink 1.5lt in the gym) -when you spread it out over 12-14hr day I don't think its excessive...well not for me -if I drink less I feel awful and get head aches;)

if you spread your water intake out over the day you should be fine. i think its only if you drink pint after pint and go stupid that it becomes dangerous. Its much easier to drink when you're eating i remember on exante it was awful trying to consume large amounts when you aren't even thirsty! i'm stick to 2-2.5 lt a day x

determinator said:
it can be dangerous to drink too much water , I would say 4 litres is enough for anyone , and you shouldnt drink any more really , this should be spread out during the day and nt all drunk in one go , drinking too much can overwork your kidneys and either cause damage to them or even cause swelling of the brain !! BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Why is too much water dangerous?

This article says to me is that it is dangerous to take part in a stupid water drinking competition called hold you wee for a wii rather than drinking too much water. And as for it diluting salt in the body surely this is a good thing cos we all eat too much salt anyway?!

It is quite interesting that is says if your going the loo more than every couple of hours and its clear then your probably drinking too much. Thats probably a good guide to use.

salt is an electrolyte and you need a certain amount of salt each day ( between 1500mg and 2300mg )..
if you drink lots of water it gets absorbed into your blood and dilutes the salt in it, so your body absorbs more salt which then holds more water and the cycle goes on until your blood pressure rises..

Back