How on earth does anyone fast?

AliGal

Eating meat
You may have seen some of us fast. And think that's impossible. I did. Then I realised I wasn't hungry at breakfast and was only eating it from habit. So I skipped breakfast and broke my fast mid morning. Now I typically don't eat until after midday and sometimes mid afternoon. Eating keto makes it possible for me.

I'm hoping that not only will it help me shed weight - it will also help my skin retract through autophagy.

Here's some info if you are interested. https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Read Dr Jason Fung's book The Obesity Code if you want to know more about the science and why the diet industry and Big Food have made us fat.

Some interesting science on the anti inflammatory magic soup of fasting:

I agree Ali. I was always starving in the morning. Im now finished my evening meal by 7pm and have breakfast at 11am. The key is making sure you eat enough fats, so cheese or eggs or meat with some fats, a salad or just veg wont do it. And if i do eat carbs, well im starving again.
I go 16 hours on weekdays, i could go longer but my work schedule doesnt allow that. I eat dinner as soon as i come home. Breakfast is at my morning break11am, i wouldnt be able to fast until 2pm which is my lunch.

I can usually go until about 10.30am-11am without feeling hungry, but it's more convenient for work to eat B at 8am when i get in.

Mind you, the team I'm in eat ALL the time so maybe I'll try pushing it back, which would give me a 14 hour fast, is that ok?

Yes Susie - do what suits you.

Susie try what suits when it suits. But it really is amazing how quick the body adjusts

I don't know if it is because I keep myself busy or I'm not actually hungry I don't think of my next meal like I use to. :)

Well done! I don't feel the need to snack like I used to. This past week I've eaten more than I've needed - when I've not been hungry in my eating window. So this week, I'm going to focus on deciding if I'm hungry. I'm good at doing that goes my break fast - timing variable. So having only shed a net 1lb this week, I hope this focus will help me.

i find it happens naturally some days, not others!

I agree, i find weekends i tend to have only 2 meals as i eat when im hungry not when i have a break. Weekdays i dont eat before work and have breakfast at 11am, Monday mornings i might eat at my desk before break time as dinner may have been 4pm on Sunday.

I do a intermittent fast most saturdays - though does it could if you sleep through most of it? I get up at 11 and don't have lunch until I am actually hungry. I do want to add it in at least one or two more days a week and maybe build to more - I never eat breakfast when I'm not dieting but I probably ate too late the night before to get a decent fast window and i ate crap because I was hungry. Now I'm doing low carb but I do eat a breakfast as I've made it to make sure i have something on plan - have to get out of the habit of earing just because I have food that's allowed.

I do a intermittent fast most saturdays - though does it could if you sleep through most of it? I get up at 11 and don't have lunch until I am actually hungry. I do want to add it in at least one or two more days a week and maybe build to more - I never eat breakfast when I'm not dieting but I probably ate too late the night before to get a decent fast window and i ate crap because I was hungry. Now I'm doing low carb but I do eat a breakfast as I've made it to make sure i have something on plan - have to get out of the habit of earing just because I have food that's allowed.

I have found myself drifting into a 17:7 or 18:6 eating pattern since starting on Keto, mainly due to not needing or wanting breakfast these days. I'll usually have lunch and dinner in a six or seven hour window and happily fast for the rest of the day. I haven't tried any longer than that yet but I can imagine it being a natural development at the weekend.

Hi , I wanna switch from keto slimming world .any suggestions.as both are quite opposite .scared to put back on .

Hi , I wanna switch from keto slimming world .any suggestions.as both are quite opposite .scared to put back on .

You might be better off starting a separate thread - this one being about fasting.

I've never heard of 'slimming world - keto' - but looking at your stats I do wonder whether a 'keto' plan is something you need to consider (at least from a weightloss perspective). If you want to reduce the amount of carbs (and sugar) you consume, that's great, but you'd probably do well with a low carb, rather than 'keto' way of eating (I try to avoid the word 'diet' :) ) You should do a bit of online research, there's lots of it out there - but many folks on here refer to the Diet Doctor and if you go look in the 'welcome to the shiny new keto' thread (linked below) you'll find some useful articles that will help you understand things better.

I've used fasting in the past and found Jason Fung's 'The complete guide to fasting' quite enlightening. However, the only thing I would add here is that fasting isn't necessary and I'd suggest shouldn't be used simply to accelerate weight loss. When in a 'low carb' or 'keto' state - you will experience times when you are simply not hungry and if that's the case - you just don't eat. I don't feel that it needs to be a conscience choice as a matter of routine, unless being used to manage a medical condition. So I think it can be as simple as "don't eat when you are not hungry and stop eating when you are satiated". We have been conditioned to think that we must eat 3 meals a day and that skipping breakfast is bad - well that's simply not true.

Many people practice time restricted eating which works well. That's when you do make a decision, and condition your body, to only eat during a set period of time. If you think about it - we all fast naturally (when we sleep) and basically when you are not eating you are by default - fasting.

When I was following a keto way of eating I used fasting purposely to manage my IBS condition, I then practiced time-restricted eating as a matter of course. I've not be 'keto' or even 'low carb' for nearly a year and have allowed carbs to rule me - but I'm transitioning back to keto and when I'm fully on that journey I will use F and TRE in my arsenal, but will do so from a healing perspective.

For the past week i have been unconsciously only eating 2 meals a day. Sometime between 12pm - 2pm and then 4pm-6pm so ending up with an 18 to 20 hour fast. I didnt plan it or force it, its just how my day fell. And i havent been hungry at all, i think the key has been eating tasty food and enough fat included. Even just having olive oil on salad has been helping or coconut milk hot chocolate.
Im back to work tomorrow and dont think this 2 meal day will fit in, we will see.

For the past week i have been unconsciously only eating 2 meals a day. Sometime between 12pm - 2pm and then 4pm-6pm so ending up with an 18 to 20 hour fast. I didnt plan it or force it, its just how my day fell. And i havent been hungry at all, i think the key has been eating tasty food and enough fat included. Even just having olive oil on salad has been helping or coconut milk hot chocolate.
Im back to work tomorrow and dont think this 2 meal day will fit in, we will see.

That was my experience too, and especially the not feeling hungry. My eating has been all over the place for 2-3 weeks so I'm looking forward to getting back into this pattern!

Back