How quick do you build muscle?

NinjaPro

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could answer a question for me? Im following Weight Watchers, but this is just a general question.

I had an induction to weights today at my gym, although I have been doing them anyway and my instructor said I was doing everything right but just added a couple of things in for me.

But I said to him, that I lost MORE weight weekly WITHOUT excercise last time I followed Weight Watchers, than this time around, working out 5 days a week and doing tons of weights.

He said that I'm building muscle, which is heavier, and I replied saying that I didn't think you built muscle in just a few weeks,, he said you do. but depends on how much weights you do and if you eat the right stuff.

So my question is can you REALLY build alot of muscle in that short space of time? Weeks?:p

A LB is a LB whether it's feathers, bricks, fat or muscle
The difference is the volume/size
A LB of feathers will be a huge pile compared to LB of brick
A LB of fat is about 3-4 times bigger than a LB of muscle
You won't get muscle bound by doing weights and in my opinion weights get you looking slimmer faster than cardio
I do a weight type exercise and my scales say I could lose another stone easily and still be in my healthy weight range, currently I am right at the top of this range, my body shape is a size 6 so I don't need to lose anymore

Yeah thats exactly what I figured, leaner and more toned looks better than skinny and bony lol.

Your figure, you're describing, is exactly what I would like to achieve. Hence why I was keen to incororate weights in my routine. Weights dont always mean massive muscles!! lol

Sorry and back to your question :)
Yes you start building and tightening your muscle each time you add resistance, so by doing regular weight based exercise you will develop stronger tighter muscles

Does this happen rather quickly in the beginning? Because I've noticed my clothes are quite loose already and just generally lighter, despite the scales. And I feel great which is the main thing lol.

Thankyou for your answers :) I dont mean to pester you!!

I found my body magic using kettlebells
I would highly recommend them if you want results and quite fast
Absolutely amazing workout in 20 mins 3 times a week - sorted

If you want to build up muscle, there are several easy to follow tips that I can recommend. Whether you already work out regularly and want to change your routine to building some bulk or whether you are a total beginner and just want to learn how to build up muscle, these tips will be invaluable.

Tip 1 -- work each set to exhaustion. When you work a set, make sure that your last repetition, or rep, is so difficult that you cannot do another one without a small break period between sets. This will ensure that the muscle fibres are worked so hard that they will need repair. It is this repair that will build up muscle mass.

Tip 2 -- increase protein intake. Protein is the basic building block for your body to repair the muscles after a workout and build up muscle. If you don't eat a lot of protein, you will simply wither away and not increase your muscle mass whatsoever.

Tip 3 -- do eight to twelve reps per set. A good guide is to perform a minimum of eight and no more than twelve repetitions per set. Too few reps means that you are resting too much and not working out enough. Too many reps means that you are not doing a big enough workout and will not build up muscle fast. If you are hitting twenty reps easily, you need to add more weight!

Tip 4 -- cottage cheese is a wonder food. Cottage cheese is great if you are body building. Sure, it tastes a bit strange, but it is low in carbs and fats and very high in protein. You can even get flavoured cottage cheese these days or incorporate it into some simple recipes.

Tip 5 -- free weights rule! You can build muscle with machine weights. If they are your only weights you can still build up muscle effectively. However, free weights are much more effective. This is for a number of reasons. For instance, free weights require greater balance and you can also perform compound movements. This is where you work several muscles at once instead of just one that you might with a machine. The body loves this type of workout!

Tip 6 -- eat more often! Yes, I am not kidding! It is better to eat smaller amounts more frequently than three bigger meals per day. To build up muscle in the most efficient and fast way, you should eat small meals roughly every three hours. One easy way is to split your lunch in two. You could eat half of it at 12pm and the other half at 3pm.

Follow these tips and you’ll see muscle growth in 10 – 14 days…

good tips from the above poster. If you are following a high protein diet you MUST MUST MUST drink lots of water. Its really bad for your kidneys having a high protein diet without the water to flush it out. I would say you could use shakes to supplement - they re great for STRAIGHT after your workout as its when your body is crying out for protein, and the shakes are immediately absorbed. Other than that you should just eat protein-y food.. theres no huge need to take 3/4 shakes a day as they are bloody expensive when you can just have some eggs or meat.

I assume you are female...? and in which case, you won't really build hulk style muscles without a very very specific plan. Womens bodies are not designed to lift stonking great weights and build muscle like mens. But its more than easy enough to have a lovely toned body with effort :)

My male friend is managing to lift 14kg weights no problem, whereas i've been working out to hell for a whole year and only working well with 8 :( I DO NOT APPROVE :p He's a weddy wee bugger who rarely goes to the gym too!!

With regards to shape, if your are overweight you need to lose the weight before you physically see the tonage. I'm quit overweight and im only barely seeing my muscles despite a lot of exercise and weight training. Whereas someone slimmer may see it sooner. But I know it takes more than a few weeks regardless. Keep at it and you'll be looking fab before too long! xx

Oh and yes, the free weights are the best because you are constantly having to hold/support them, whereas you can relax more on a machine. I really hate how a lot of machines kinda force the form on you (like leg extensions machine) and this can result in joint damage. Gotta look after the joints :) They are great for beginners I think, but anything past that you should migrate onto free weights - dumbells/kettlebells/free pulley weights. As long as you have good form you'll be grand.

8kg is very good though hannah, more than what i could do in the begining!

taken me over 12 monthes but its built up from little weights, to heavy weights (example on squats it was 5kg, now i do 20/25kg) im hardly beefy either. mind over matter, and no pain no gain :D

i love my freeweights, they are rather heavy though, the bars themselves are 6kg, with the plates on they are 10kg each. cant yet use them with the plates on
i have gotten a little muscle on my arms now, my calves are huge with muscle, and my abs are rock hard (with belly fat keeping them warm lol) so it does pay off to keep going at it. if someone had said to me id be able to lift what i can now last year id have just laughed and though no way, but hard work really pays off, every 6 weeks i try to increase the weights just to intensify the workouts

Last edited:
Aye i'm really pleased with my progress, but it just made me realise how men are totally structured differently to women. Weedy guys best mate is a gym freak, probably been going to the gym for a bit longer than me, and he tells me this guy can lift 25s without much problem... o_O

I'm really in it to win it now, and ideally I'd love the have a physique like yours, gina, although I think my body structure is a lot larger than yours.. being 5ft10 an all. :p but yeah I'd love a 6 pack and all kinds of nice muscles :)

Aye i'm really pleased with my progress, but it just made me realise how men are totally structured differently to women. Weedy guys best mate is a gym freak, probably been going to the gym for a bit longer than me, and he tells me this guy can lift 25s without much problem... o_O

I'm really in it to win it now, and ideally I'd love the have a physique like yours, gina, although I think my body structure is a lot larger than yours.. being 5ft10 an all. :p but yeah I'd love a 6 pack and all kinds of nice muscles :)

my aim to lift as heavy as i can.... so no set time for this :D

Back