How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, back to SW for 3rd time, get food obsessed and have done WAYYY too many stupid fad diets before but am currently on holiday at the moment but get so nervous as feel MASSIVE have spent years avoiding carbs and obviously eating WAYYY more now, do you think it's still successful, even if your body has been starved of them before?!
i love sw and my partner and I can finally eat the same meals amd SO much choice! But it's that little part in the back of your mind that's still afraid!
also do you think you can have too much fruit(cos of sugar etc) some days I eat tons!
x

Hi everyone. WAs wondering if anyone saves up syns during the week for the weekend like I do. For example if I am allowed 105 syns per week, I use around 5-7 per day and then use the rest during the weekend for treats or a takeaway. Is this a correct method?

Hi there
I'm new on here today hoping for lots of support :)
I do SW online and weight self every Saturday morning. I currently having 105 syns per Week and counting backwards. have read this is ok to do but I've also read your must have your syns daily so not sure. Anyone else know bout this? Thanks

Quick question, back to SW for 3rd time, get food obsessed and have done WAYYY too many stupid fad diets before but am currently on holiday at the moment but get so nervous as feel MASSIVE have spent years avoiding carbs and obviously eating WAYYY more now, do you think it's still successful, even if your body has been starved of them before?!
i love sw and my partner and I can finally eat the same meals amd SO much choice! But it's that little part in the back of your mind that's still afraid!
also do you think you can have too much fruit(cos of sugar etc) some days I eat tons!
x

Hi there
Been doing SW online for 6 weeks now and have read loads on it and the way I understand it is that as long as your following the plan free food is free food as long as you eat till yr satisfied and not beyond that.. Fruit is free food, so fill your boots x

Subbing to read later x

Hi squiddie
I just wondered if you ever heard of someone doing SW and pack up smoking? I've got an awful cough and really need to kick the habit but I'm worried it'll make my SW journey go belly up. Thank you hun x

Hi squiddie
I just wondered if you ever heard of someone doing SW and pack up smoking? I've got an awful cough and really need to kick the habit but I'm worried it'll make my SW journey go belly up. Thank you hun x
Just a quick disclaimer, I'm not sure if you've started SW or not get so sorry if this explaination is too oversimplified.

I quit smoking last year so I know the struggle!
Now I'm not a doctor, but from what I understand, there's nothing medical that will make you gain weight when you quit smoking, just people tend to eat more for lots of reasons (smoking suppresses the appetite, once you quit you might be bored, want something to do with you hands etc etc.). That being said with SW there are certain foods you can eat unlimited amounts of - yes really, no I'm not joking, and yes I promise you will lose weight. So it's a case of if you do have those cravings for food, to make the smart choices.
On SW you can still have chocolate, crisps, wine, whatever your indulgence is, it's just that it's a measured amount then once you've reached that measured amount (used all your syns) you then have to make the decision - do I want to keep eating these measured things (have more syns) and perhaps sacrifice this weeks weight loss? Or do I want to stop there, say I enjoyed it and still have a loss - you're in control.
I'm not sure on the strength of the argument to whether smoking speeds up the metabolism, I personally think it doesn't hold water, but that's just my opinion.
If you are already at SW ask your consultant for the stop smoking leaflet.
I would say, give it a go and see what happens! As I say I think what will happen is you will feel "nibble" hungry so have some things set by ready: carrot sticks, ready cooked chicken, boiled eggs - things you don't have to wait for, and believe in yourself.
Good luck

So gad I found your post Natt. I am new to SW (only joined on Tuesday) and it's taking a bit of getting used to. You explain it so clearly. I like your mantra and will be keeping a copy of this in my bag to keep me on track when I'm out and about.

Thanks
Lisa B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back