How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, syn free means zero syns and therefore free, although some people will also say something is syn free when they are talking about a healthy extra. In itself it is not syn free but because they are taking it as a healthy extra there are no syns to count.

One last silly question...well im not sure about last!

is it ok to jump between Green, Red and EE within a week or would you suggest maintaining an element of consistency?

You can do a different plan every day of the week if you want to. That said if you find you get some bloating on green days, it might be better to do several days at a time so your body can get used to it.

i just want to clarify 2 things
1) can superfoods also be speed foods, for example Quorn?

Just wanted to point out superfree and speed foods are different. Superfree means that they are free on all plans, an apple for example, free on Green, Red and Extra Easy.

Speed foods are foods that are low or extra low in calorie density so they can speed up your weight loss. Baked beans are speed foods but only free on Green and Extra Easy.

Some Quorn products are superfree as they are free on all plans, but not a speed food as they are not low or extra low in calorie density.

This being said there are some foods that are both superfree and speed foods. Meaning they are free on all plans AND low or extra low in calorie density.

if something is described as being 'Syn Free' does this mean it is a Free Food?

In a word, yes. However there is a difference! Free foods are designed to fill you up so you can eat as much as you want. Syn free means they are low in calories, so you don't have to count syns but they may not fill you up.

just about to get started!

I have just joined the forum and am all geared up to attend my first ever SW meeting next Tuesday. I borrowed a friends SW books to try and formulate the plan in my head:confused:

So far today I have enjoyed a piece of grilled salmon with green veg broccolli and beans and tomatoes.

For dinner I am slowcooking very lean diced beef with celery, mushrooms, onions and carrots. I have used a tin of chopped tomatoes to which I added morrocan dry spices for the sauce.

I plan to serve with either rice or couscous...am I on the right lines here?

If you're doing extra easy then rice and cous cous are free foods.
If you are doing red then they would need to be synned.
Your milk would be a HE A choice and a B choice would be bread/cereal/cereal bars/dried fruit/tinned fruit/stewed fruit/olive oil etc.

confused about the difference between EE and Red?

on red things like potatoes, rice and pasta are syned or used as a healthy extra, on extra easy they are free.

I used to be a green fan until they introduced the extra easy plan and I do find the EE plan so much easier to follower, It took a couple of reads to get my head around it though lol Essentially though the ee plan teaches you to eat normally in a healthier way.

I have started cooking from scratch, which in my youngers days I always did, and then I got lazy as I got older and started using more and more packets and jars of rubbish. Now everything I do is from scratch, and it tastes so much better, and the family appreciate it much more.

Also want to point out something said in the first post about hypothyroidism. I have this and my levels are normal as I am being treated, and I am losing weight. So its well worth getting this checked out and treated to help you lose weight.

Also Steroids, its not the steroids that makes you put on weight, my partner has Rheumatoid arthritus and is on steroids, it was explained that its not the steroids that makes you gain weight its the eating food, as the steroids makes you very hungry so you eat more. So if your on steroids the tip is to eat more super free or free foods and not rubbish, and you shouldnt gain weight!

Thankyou very much. Tomorrow I am going to my first ever sw meeting. I have used my friends books this past week and have miracurously lost 5lbs!!! so must be doing it right to some extent. I'm sure it will be clearer after tomorrow. I am loving eating all the fruit and veg. I've been having milk as my HEA but not using it all. I've had a jacket potato or rice or couscous with my evening meal which usually contains lean meat or fish. I'm thinking that maybe i'm a red day girl or even EE? I'm not sure i'm having enough carbs but worried about doing something wrong. Like yourself I cook from scratch but have in the past used a canned red wine,chasseur or pasta sauce. Are these things a definite no no now? Any help and advice gratefully accepted. Finding this forum on Saturday was an absolute revelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back