How Slimming World Works - Advice for Newbies (Updated for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really advise you check out the SW magazines! you get some amazing recipes, I havent had a duff one yet, and believe me you will not miss your jars! Also do google searches for slimming world recipes, many members have managed to change recipes to bring them inline with SW. I am amazed the recipes I have found!

Hi, I joined SW just over a month ago. In the first week I lost 4lbs then put 0.5 on, then stayed the same, then lost 1 again. I feel like I'm trying really hard but don't seem to see where I'm going wrong.
Are Speed foods and Superfree foods the same?? Can you give me some examples of speed foods?? and superfree? so i can see the difference! This is the only place I feel i could be going wrong??!!!
HELP!!! lol!
x

Superfree and speed foods are different although there are some exceptions.

Superfree simply means free on all plans. This is usually most fruit and vegetables. Although certain Quorn products, certain Mullerlights are also superfree.

Speed Foods can help boost your weight loss because they’re lower in energy density than other foods. That means weight for weight, they have fewer calories – so they fill you up while slimming you down!

Some speed foods are also superfree and some are not.

For example Apples are superfree - they are free on all plans AND are a speed food.

Whereas baked beans are only free on Green and Extra Easy so not a superfree food, but a speed food on Green and Extra Easy.

I think this is where the confusion comes, a food must be free to be a speed food, but doesn't have to be a superfree food to be a speed food.

So if a food is free on all plans then its superfree. Speed foods are plan depentant;

Red: Clams - free on Red, and also a Speed food on Red (and Extra Easy) not Green.

Green: Lentils - free on Green, and a speed food on Green (and Extra Easy) not Red.
Superfree: Apples - Free on Red, Green (and Extra Easy), and a speed food on all plans.

I hope this helps, if not I will try again!

Yeah it makes sense, only because I went and re-read my SW booklet aswell so had kindov figured it out!!
Still don't reeeeally get where I'm going wrong/how I'm not loosing more though!! I'm a bit worried that if this carries on I'll want to give up! :(
You know how in each meal 2/3rds should be free foods, whats the other 1/3 meant to be then?? Is it the syns or/and the HE a/b?!
I seem to be confusing myself!! lol!!
thank you for your help!! you seem like you understand it a lot better than me!!!!!! :) x

With extra easy, 1/3 of your plate should be superfree foods (foods free on all plans) so basically fruit/vegetables. The other 2/3's can be whatever you want with your syns/HE's. Have a look in the recipe section for some ideas.

Don't think of it as a big life altering thing, you are just changing your habits and developing new 'skills'.

Are you at a group? If so it may be worth talking it through with your consultant if you are struggling. Also if you have any food diaries you can post for us to have a look at that would be great :)

One last thing often when people think they are doing 100% they're not. 100% is filling up on free foods, having 5-15syns a day (depending what your consultant has told you) and having 1A and 1B choice everyday (2 of each if following Red or Green).

Natt xxx

Superfree simply means free on all plans. This is usually most fruit and vegetables. Although certain Quorn products, certain Mullerlights are also superfree.

Sorry Squiddie but this is no longer true. In the recent update superfree foods are now restricted to fruit and veg that are free on all plans. Quorn, eggs and yoghurts are no longer superfree foods. You might also want to update the first post to show this change :)

So if i have a meal of rice with carrots,different peppers, onion and beansprouts with a little packet mix of swwet and sour stir fry sauce would this be ok? or how about chicken chow mein which has chicken, beansprouts, mangetout, spices, garlic, onion, soy sauce etc in it with SW chips...
Ireally don't have a clue if I'm doing this right now!!!!
haha! We'll see what tomorrows weigh in brings eh!!!!

Thank you for this Nat, Im starting over tonight at SW after a 2 years break (lost 3 stone last time, put it all back on... ouch...). This post helped massively xx

So if i have a meal of rice with carrots,different peppers, onion and beansprouts with a little packet mix of swwet and sour stir fry sauce would this be ok? or how about chicken chow mein which has chicken, beansprouts, mangetout, spices, garlic, onion, soy sauce etc in it with SW chips...
Ireally don't have a clue if I'm doing this right now!!!!
haha! We'll see what tomorrows weigh in brings eh!!!!

On EE both meals would be fine

Sweet and Sour
rice = free
vegetables = superfree
stir fry sauce = would need to be taken from your syns

There is a good recipe for homemade sweet and sour sauce in the recipe forum

Chow Mein
chicken = free
vegetables = superfree (but you could maybedo with more)
herbs/spices = free
SW chips = free if done using frylight

Good luck with your weigh in!

Sorry Squiddie but this is no longer true. In the recent update superfree foods are now restricted to fruit and veg that are free on all plans. Quorn, eggs and yoghurts are no longer superfree foods. You might also want to update the first post to show this change :)

Oh right. Could you just clarify this for me then? Eggs, quorn, yoghurts etc., are still free on all plans but just not referred to as superfree? They are using the term superfree to refer to fruit veg that are free on all so that EE followers aren't confused?

Or are eggs, quorn etc., synned now? (You'd think I'd know, but I've been out the loop for a while!!)

Cheers,

Natt xxx

The info I got yesterday in my book says that superfree foods are fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables. Eggs, fatfree dairy and vegetable proteins are referred to as free foods

This was very very helpful, ty so so much

Hi Tissy....looks like you're new to all of this just like me...I went to my 1st ever class just yesterday! Decided to try the EE plan. What about yourself? I'm so determined to succeed in my weight loss but still working out the plan and hoping i'm not misunderstanding as it seems just too good to be true!!! What do you think?

Hey I am fairly new to all this too, but have an added advantage as in my fiancée is doing it with me and she has done SW before, that sure helps. We are doing the extra easy option as this suits us the best, as we have very hungry kids on our backs lol,
I sure think that we will achieve our goals and I am definitely eating ten times more than I did before, and already lost a few pounds on the way... so that has to be a good thing.. When is your weigh day?. It does seem to good to be true but it is working for me , so I am sure it will work for you too.
Feel free to add me as a friend if you have any questions I will do my best in finding it out for you, and two heads are better than one ! Best of luck to you bud xx:love::eatdrink012::gen157:

hi i dont see it anywhere about weekly syn value is that 15 x 7 = 105 ?

I need some help with superfree for snacking....if I'm hungry then sweet (ie fruit) isn't going to cut it and I find salad on its own really boring!
What does everyone snack on? How do you turn veg into a snack???

Yeah it makes sense, only because I went and re-read my SW booklet aswell so had kindov figured it out!!
Still don't reeeeally get where I'm going wrong/how I'm not loosing more though!! I'm a bit worried that if this carries on I'll want to give up! :(
You know how in each meal 2/3rds should be free foods, whats the other 1/3 meant to be then?? Is it the syns or/and the HE a/b?!
I seem to be confusing myself!! lol!!
thank you for your help!! you seem like you understand it a lot better than me!!!!!! :) x

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! :confused:

If 1/3 of your plate is Superfree and 1/3 is Free then what is the other 1/3? There are not enough Syns or HE to fill 1/3 of your plate all the time? Are there?

Last edited:
The superfree foods are the foods that are satisfying your appetite whilst being very low in calories...I think...i'm just new to this myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back