How to avoid weekend weight gain

alottolose

Gold Member
Weekend weight-gain seems to creep up on you. How? It's so easy to get in the mind frame of "I've been good all week, so I deserve to splurge this weekend!" Those free-for-all weekends add up to pounds-gained quicker than you'd expect. Here are some simple ways to avoid weekend weight-gain:
  1. Stock Your Staples

If your fridge and pantry aren't stocked with the healthy foods you need, you will have no choice but to eat whatever is within reach (or within a phone call to the pizza place). Friday morning, take stock of your staples and drop by the store on your way home to purchase what is low or missing.
  2. Be Smart, Don't Skip

If you are planning to go out with friends for a non-diet-friendly meal Saturday night, try to eat lighter at home throughout the day. But whatever you do, don’t skip meals to "save up" for the outing. Your appetite will get the best of you and you will inevitably overeat. (You may even be likely to consume more calories than you would normally have if you'd eaten three meals instead of just one.)
  3. Review Your Week

Take some extra time to look over your food diary and spot any major diet mistakes. The weekend is a perfect time to review your progress, identify areas for improvement, and make plans for alternatives.
  4. Get Out

Some weekends are so quiet that I feel like the only soul on the planet. I know the longer I am at home alone, the more I will eat and the less active I will be, so I make a point to get out instead of sticking around the house: Window-shopping, checking out what's new at the library, or going to the park are my favorite calorie-free, cost-free distractions.
  5. Keep Your Brain Busy

Under the weather? Keep your mind active doing puzzles, reading a book, playing computer games, communicating with online friends, or writing in your journal. You will be less likely to mindlessly snack when you stay focused on something else.
  6. Try it, You Might Like It

Sit down and make a long list of all the hobbies or activities you'd like to try in the near future, such as finally joining your coworkers for paintball or taking that hike you've been thinking about. Post your list on the fridge and add new ideas as they come to you. Before the weekend arrives, make plans to follow through with one of your ideas.
  7. Lend a Helping Hand

Got time on your hands? Consider lending a hand to those in need. It's easy to overeat as a way to alleviate boredom when you don't have something constructive to do. Consider volunteering your time with a cause close to your heart. You will benefit others, keep yourself away from the pantry, and your self-esteem will get a boost (which can help keep you on track with your weight-loss efforts).
  8. Relax and Renew

You don't have to save all your special treats for when you hit that 10-pounds-lost goal you've been working toward. You still deserve a little luxury -- even if you’ve slowed down your "losing" progress. Instead, ditch that all-or-nothing thinking and proceed with pampering yourself. A long bubble bath, an at-home spa treatment, or a new novel will fit the bill.
  9. Lift Your Spirits

Even if you are not religious, consider doing something of a spiritual nature over the weekend. If an experience truly restores your soul, you will be less likely to fill up on food and more likely to face your week with a renewed sense of purpose, which can come in handy if the weekend has been less-than-perfect on the weight-loss front.
  10. Make a Fresh Start

Speaking of that less-than-perfect weekend: Remind yourself that every single day is a fresh start. There is no need to give up altogether even if you’ve had your second (or third) really bad weekend in a row. Start your workweek off on the right foot. Have a healthy breakfast and pack or plan a diet-friendly lunch. Getting right back on track will give your motivation a boost and help you focus on making this a great week.
Weekend Weight Gain - How to Avoid Weekend Weight Gain

Alcohol and Weight Loss

Alcohol and weight loss are enemies, but an occasional drink can have a place in a healthy lifestyle. In fact, many experts note the health benefits of consuming a single drink per day, including a reduced risk for high blood pressure. If, however, you are exceeding one drink daily, you might be sabotaging your weight loss plans.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. Why not spend your calorie budget on something healthier?

Alcohol affects your body in other negative ways. Drinking might help induce sleep, but the sleep you get isn't very deep. Ultimately, as a result, you get less rest. Alcohol can also increase the amount of acid that your stomach produces, causing your stomach lining to become inflamed. Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to serious health problems, including stomach ulcers, liver disease, and heart troubles.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which is detrimental to your diet plans. Alcohol actually stimulates your appetite. While you might be full from a comparable amount of calories from food, several drinks might not fill you up. On top of that, research shows that if you drink before or during a meal, both your inhibitions and willpower are reduced. In this state, you are more likely to overeat—especially greasy or fried foods—which can add to your waistline. To avoid this, wait to order that drink until you're done with your meal.

Many foods that accompany drinking (peanuts, pretzels, chips) are salty, which can make you thirsty, encouraging you to drink even more. To avoid overdrinking, sip on a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.

Skipping a meal to save your calories for drinks later is a bad idea. Many drinkers know they'll be having some alcohol later, whether going to a bar, party, or just kicking back at home. Knowing that drinking entails extra calories, it may be tempting to "bank" some calories by skipping a meal or two. This is a bad move. If you come to the bar hungry, you are even more likely to munch on the snacks, and drinking on an empty stomach enhances the negative effects of alcohol. If you're planning on drinking later, eat a healthy meal first. You'll feel fuller, which will stop you from overdrinking. If you are worried about a looming night out with friends, include an extra 30 minutes of exercise to balance your calories—instead of skipping a meal.

What are more important, calories or carbs? You might think that drinking liquor is more diet-friendly because it has no carbohydrates, while both wine and beer do contain carbs. But dieters need to watch calories, and liquor only has a few calories less than beer or wine. Plus, it is often mixed with other drinks, adding even more empty calories. Hard liquor contains around 100 calories per shot, so adding a mixer increases calories even more. If you are going to mix liquor with anything, opt for a diet or club soda, instead of fruit juice or regular soda. Sweeter drinks, whether liquor or wine, tend to have more sugar, and therefore more calories. In that respect, dry wines usually have fewer calories than sweet wines.

The list below breaks down the number of calories in typical alcoholic drinks. Compare some of your favorites to make a good choice next time you decide to indulge in a serving of alcohol.

Drink
Serving Size
Calories
Red wine
5 oz.
White wine
5 oz. 100
Champagne
5 oz. 130
Light beer
12 oz. 105
Regular beer
12 oz. 140
Dark beer
12 oz. 170
Cosmopolitan
3 oz. 165
Martini
3 oz. 205
Long Island iced tea
8 oz. 400
Gin & Tonic
8 oz. 175
Rum & Soda
8 oz. 180
Margarita
8 oz. 200
Whiskey Sour
4 oz. 200

I've noticed quite a few of us have fallen off the wagon so to speak over the course of the weekend, I thought it might help to post the 2 articles above. Most of it is common sense, but perhaps a little read wouldn't do any harm ahead of next weekend :)

Knowledge is power !

Good luck with weightloss this week ladies! (and gents if we have any:))

Excellent post Sarah - particularly for me as I'm not in ketosis. I'll be printing, and learning!!

BUT where Dukaners are concerned, the question "how to avoid weekend weight gain" is far EASIER to answer...

RESPONSE: STICK TO THE DIET!

Some weekends are so quiet that I feel like the only soul on the planet.
oh yeah so much.
I get bored and lonely = alcohol!!!!!!
and no sarah im not joining the RAC!!

you picking on me :(

But really great post. i have a stressful busy job and exercise just isnt the same way to unwind. theres all my excuses ;)

How does "bored and lonely" equal "alcohol"?

I'm not being funny here, or quipping about alcohol being banned on Dukan, but I honestly can't see the connection!! When/if bored/lonely, I'd go on line, ring a friend, watch TV, or eat... but how does drink help with this? I guess as food might help me?

I wonder how our lines got so very crossed cos, in black and white, there is strictly NO reason for alcohol or food to help with boredom/loneliness!

I agree Jo but Im afraid its just habit I suppose. If im fed up a glass of wine always makes me feel better???? as with some I expect chocolate would

great posts sarah ,u have been a busy dukaner this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!

vicks i dont think ur being pick on just being used has a scapegoat lol sorry im only joking !!!!!!!!!

I think this is one of the parts of our brains which need reprogramming...

its easy to say it needs reprogramming but has the dukan dr says all the aspects of ur life is involved in this ie before i had my 1st child i could eat and drink anything with not a prb,naturally ur going to put weight on because ur carring a child so wot is the correct weight gain nobody knows but after if u get back to ur normal weight thats all good but then u have life changes because you have another person to look after ,so maybe i can see why he wants people to reprogramme oneself ............ a big challenge when u really think about ur own life ...

hope this makes sence !!

I know what you mean Jet, in a roundabout way.

I feel fantastic today (sexy and slim) and the way i feel when im like this MAKES me not want to go completely off the rails and give up dieting, think oh i look good now ill just have a pizza and another etc.
I know I do have my vices and thats part of me. I am pretty pleased with myself for coming this far TBH as I have given up before. So in a way I am reprogrammed not to go on a self destruct cos there is no way Im giving up feeling/looking like this!!!

yeh u are true ,but i was thinking my life has taken a nasty turn i shall put it like that so im trying to reprogramme 19 years of my life that still has not come back to me from the death of dan ,but dont get me wrong i know this diet is a good diet with my weightloss to date and i would be happy to stay like this forever but on occasion if ur invited out to a meal ,so really wot i think im trying to say is wot he is thinking , i know wot i mean but sometime my head seems jangled but i know wot i mean but just cant explain it lol

Vicky - fabulous post... and ending...
I too hope you can keep the feeling of how good slim FEELS (compared to how good things TASTE)... I thought I could/had... but then...

Jet - I think I understand what you're trying to say... but, as we get older, we're not (or oughtn't be!) seeking to weigh what we might have at 18 years old before children, 1,500 diets etc...

I guess what I was trying to get at, and I think Vicky understood too, is that we reach for food/drink to comfort us at times of [here we were talking of loneliness and/or boredom] yet in no way might food/drink comfort us... so in rethinking our reactions to external situations, we (or I at least!) need to realise this properly... understand it... and find another solution.

I used to have cigarettes and food... now I must turn to [???]. Exercise is a good one as, like Vicky, I've now seen the huge benefits and even enjoy doing it...

im sorry jo i was rambling on a bit but i do understand wot u was saying ..............

Last edited:
rambling is good... and uses up calories... which is EXCELLENT!

well thats good because when im writing im saying wot im putting lol !!!!

great post Jo!

It's like at the weekend, the other half and I had words... loud words... he got in the car and drove back to the DIY shop to exchange something we'd just bought (whereas I thought that could wait and he could help me with what he'd said he would). Anyway, as he drove off, FURIOUS and EXASPERATED I thought "what can I eat?".

I didn't... but that's a typical example of how I react... how the frig did I think food might help me?

Instead, I made my individual salmon (and bits) quiches and got on with some cooking...

good for you Jo.
Dieting really is all in the mind I think. You need willpower (mind) organisational skills (mind) and determination (mind)

and, as someone once told me, you don't have to EAT a Mars bar... you can remember how it tastes!

Back