How to hide weight loss

themango

This is probably one of the oddest questions/topics posted on this forum but, basically I don't want people to notice I've lost weight.

I'm just a very self-concious person and I don't want them to see. Any tips to cover it up? As it is I'm wearing the baggiest tracksuit and jumpers etc. but my wrists are very, very small and before soon I'm sure you'll be able to see my ribs in the v-neck of my tops/jumpers. I'm not even that skinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So... how do I hide it?

Maybe you're slimmer than you seem to think you are then. Why do you need to hide the fact that you've lost weight? You've lost a fair amount of weight and you've done really well, people are going to notice. So as self conscious as you are, you're going to just have to get used to the compliments I think! Maybe now you're concerned that people will think that you're losing too much weight? The problem is, as we lose weight, the image that we have of ourselves and what we see when we look in the mirror don't always change. If you're at a point where you'll soon be seeing your ribs through your clothes and you have tiny wrists, but you say that you're not that skinny, then I think that actually you're just not seeing yourself as you are now. Maybe you need to really think about whether you really do need to lose any more weight. That decision is yours alone to make.

Themango, I can only agree with everything Caroline has said.

Enjoy you new slim figure, congratulations on your success. :)

Youre probably doing the completely wrong thing by hiding away. It means when you do wear something nice and more fitting its going to far more noticeable. Youre not very overweight so people may not initially notice and if they do whats the worst thatll happen?? Theyll say 'Have you lost weight' youll say 'Yes a bit' and thatll be it.

Youre doing well, enjoy your success and stop hiding!

I can't see what you've lost but chances are people will notice whatever you wear!

I remember back in the winter, id lost about 2 and a bit stone and I was watching my OH play tennis in a massive parka. I saw my friend's parents and they noticed my loss - now if they can notice when I'm wearing a parka, a hoody and trackie bottoms, it must have been obvious!

So wear things that you're comfortable in and that fit your properly. Be proud of what you've achieved...it's no walk in the park, this weight loss malarky!

xxx

Thanks for all your advice. I know it's a good thing to have lost the weight but I honestly don't want ANY extra attention drawn to me. Plus, I'm still a bit chubs on the stomach/legs. I think wearing larger clothes until I feel comfortable in smaller ones, and develop my confidence will be my way forward?

Okay so today I wore a vest rather than my baggy stuff I usually wear and someone commented and I panicked and said I'm the same then ran to get changed !! Does Noone else have this issue?

To be honest, I think you really need to address the issues that you have with yourself, your weight and people commenting/complimenting you on it. Why is it such a huge deal for you? What did the person say? Why did you feel that you needed to change?

Like kirstabubble said, people will probably still notice if you wear baggy clothes, because it'll show on the way your shoulders take to the material etc.

Last week in asda I was wearing what only could be described as a hefty tent of a jumper after pulling on my 6'4 guy friend's jumper when it started raining. I met some old neighbors and they were telling me how good I looked, even though I was hiding fashions most unflattering export (after socks and sandals)

To be honest, I think you really need to address the issues that you have with yourself, your weight and people commenting/complimenting you on it. Why is it such a huge deal for you? What did the person say? Why did you feel that you needed to change?
Thanks for the help you are giving. It's not like I haven't been trying to get help. I have been to student counselling, initially about other issues but it includes this and they have basically simply said they can't help at all.

It's a big deal I honestly just don't know why. I'm so self-concious in my mind I am the biggest person around and I always have been. I still am probably which means it's hard for me to think any different. I know everyone has this problem with their amazing weight loss so I am stumped why it's such a big deal.

The person said that in a very roundabout way that I looked liked I'd lost weight. In my flat that means people had probably been discussing it and someone wanted to bring it up and they nominated to do it as discreetly as possible.

I needed to change merely because I was fatter than everyone and just wanted to be 'normal' not size 16 when all my friends were size 10 I didn't feel comfortable shopping with them etc. I was also starting at a new school and wanted to change.

I am working on it but I honestly don't know if there's anything large/significant that a magic wand can wave and change the way I feel about it. I would happily try anything to stop me feeling like this!

happyhealthy i must admit i do wear socks and sandals in my flat sometimes when i want to go to the bathroom and as our bathroom is a wetroom i dont want to get my socks wet. Fashion faux pas yes, dry feet/socks is worth it!!!

Thanks for the help you are giving. It's not like I haven't been trying to get help. I have been to student counselling, initially about other issues but it includes this and they have basically simply said they can't help at all.

It's a big deal I honestly just don't know why. I'm so self-concious in my mind I am the biggest person around and I always have been. I still am probably which means it's hard for me to think any different. I know everyone has this problem with their amazing weight loss so I am stumped why it's such a big deal.

The person said that in a very roundabout way that I looked liked I'd lost weight. In my flat that means people had probably been discussing it and someone wanted to bring it up and they nominated to do it as discreetly as possible.

I needed to change merely because I was fatter than everyone and just wanted to be 'normal' not size 16 when all my friends were size 10 I didn't feel comfortable shopping with them etc. I was also starting at a new school and wanted to change.

I am working on it but I honestly don't know if there's anything large/significant that a magic wand can wave and change the way I feel about it. I would happily try anything to stop me feeling like this!

happyhealthy i must admit i do wear socks and sandals in my flat sometimes when i want to go to the bathroom and as our bathroom is a wetroom i dont want to get my socks wet. Fashion faux pas yes, dry feet/socks is worth it!!!

Haha! I understand completely how you feel. We're roughly the same height and smilar starting and current weight (twins? :D ) I'm 8 and a half stone and still look at pictures tagged of me on facebook and get down about it because I still think I look chubby. I suppose it doesn't help that I need to carry around two boulders (also known as boobs to some, I believe) with me all the time, so when I get photographed from the waist up, they seem to take up the whole photo and hence I look enormous. I know that I should feel slim, but my mind hasn't caught up with my body and I sometimes still feel no different weight wise from the bigger girl I was last year. You're not alone chum, I for one (and I'm sure everyone else on this board too) is always here for you, so don't be afraid to talk about these things, because it happens to us all x

I was reading an article today about weight loss and how it affects us mentally and how some people have difficulty coming to terms with new bodies, and thought of this post. Unfortunately it didn't really give any advice I'm afraid. I think maybe a good way forward would be to take baby steps - if you always wear baggy trousers and long sleeve baggy sweaters, maybe move to slightly more fitted trousers? And then work it up from there!

Could you perhaps find another counsellor who would help you to boost your self confidence and celebrate the new you.

Could you perhaps find another counsellor who would help you to boost your self confidence and celebrate the new you.

I know I'm not the original poster, but my problem is that all the people who tell me that I look great now are the same people who told me that I was fine when I was a lot bigger and clearly wasn't!

I'm 19, so I've got that teenage mentality about me. There's loads of stick thin girls that I'm comparing myself too, which I know is wrong but I just can't help it (I am however, happy with my body, I just think it could be better). I wish I could accept my body, but I can't. Every BMI chart, body fat, fitness instructor tells me that I'm now fine but I'm a perfectionist and I won't be 100% until I get to the weight I want. It's a sad though, but sadly I think I'm just being honest about the pressures that a lot of people put on themselves weight wise.

We are twins I'm 19 too lol

I don't know what any counsellor would do I'm working on it maybe it just is the passage of time?

Hehe! Are you are university too then? What do you study? I don't think you NEED a counsellor, but if your confidence is so low then it might be an idea. I'm going to send you a private message with a link that you should find helpful, so watch your inbox :)

I know I'm not the original poster, but my problem is that all the people who tell me that I look great now are the same people who told me that I was fine when I was a lot bigger and clearly wasn't!

I'm 19, so I've got that teenage mentality about me. There's loads of stick thin girls that I'm comparing myself too, which I know is wrong but I just can't help it (I am however, happy with my body, I just think it could be better). I wish I could accept my body, but I can't. Every BMI chart, body fat, fitness instructor tells me that I'm now fine but I'm a perfectionist and I won't be 100% until I get to the weight I want. It's a sad though, but sadly I think I'm just being honest about the pressures that a lot of people put on themselves weight wise.

You are quite right, people do put a lot of pressure on themselves. It has always been so but it isn't helped by the media & airbrushed pictures of models.

Now I have never met you or Themango so I am not a false 'friend'. I have seen your stat's & I can see you have both lost a tremendous amount of weight. Your pre diet clothes must hang on you, your tape measure must tell you. Believe what you yourselves know to be true. Really look at yourselves & trust your own eyes! :)

themango, you are absolutely right, you are working on it and well done for doing that :) I know it is far easier said than done to feel more confident about yourself and the fact that you can come on here and talk about it is great. Have you been to see your doctor recently? It's just if they weigh you there and tell you whether you are within a healthy BMI then maybe it will help you to really feel that you are a 'normal' size. With only 9lbs to loose you really should be feeling good about yourself, it is incredibly difficult to see our own bodies realistically but a doctor or nurse won't lie or try to flatter you, they will tell you what is physically true.
I think our perspective on life changes a lot as we get older and I when I realised how old (or young in comparison to me!) you were your post made a lot more sense to me. I really hope you don't take that to be patronising, it's isn't meant that way I just mean to say that you are doing great and try not to worry so much.

You are quite right, people do put a lot of pressure on themselves. It has always been so but it isn't helped by the media & airbrushed pictures of models.
Now I have never met you or Themango so I am not a false 'friend'. I have seen your stat's & I can see you have both lost a tremendous amount of weight. Your pre diet clothes must hang on you, your tape measure must tell you. Believe what you yourselves know to be true. Really look at yourselves & trust your own eyes! :)

Thank you. :D I've attached some face shots (sorry for looking so grumpy in the first picture!) the first one was taken December 2010 and the second pic was taken 5 months later (ie. the other night after the gym). Good greif, let's not talk about clothes! I can't wear ANYTHING from when I was bigger, even my 'tight' clothes. I end up looking like I've went to asda and bought a tent to wear. :D I can see a difference, but I still think that there's room for improvement - even though everyone disagrees!

Last edited:
Wow, I'm inspired - your weight loss is superb. I think people are actually trying to congratulate you without wanting to make you feel self-conscious! Doesn't work though, does it?! Been there!

I think actually people are going to notice more if you wear baggy clothes because they don't fit you properly. If you wear more fitted clothes, not only will you look great, but you won't be drawing attention to your weight loss. People might comment the first time they see you, but they will quickly get used to the new you and won't remember the next time they see you. By continuously wearing fittedd clothes appropriate to your size (might mean buying the same jumper in two sizes), you can continue to get to your target weight without people really noticing.

Go for it, and try to enjoy!

Back