How to improve my workout?

Oscaria

This is what I'm planning to do at the gym.

Treadmill: 10 mins

Exercise bike: 10 mins

Rowing machine: 10 mins

Step machine: 10 mins

Weights: 10 mins

Recumbent Exercise Bike: 10 mins/cool down

I'm planning to do this about 4 times a week. Does that sound about right? I tried the Couch to 5k thing but it didn't seem very effective to me, so I'm incorporating more machines.

I sort of fell off last week and I'm feeling pretty down about, hence changing my routine and wanting to step it up a bit. I'm feeling a little frustrated. I just want my weight loss to be finally noticeable ... I'm 4lbs away from breaking free of the 'obese' category and I just want it over with!

sounds good :)

why not add interval training on the treadmill. still do 10 mins but try walking or jogging for 1 min and walking for 1 min. by doing interval training you up the time your body burns calories afterwards.

if you don't fancy doing it on the treadmill then why not the bike on a hill setting.

be careful of the step machine on your joints, knees and ankles.

you can also change your hold on the rowing maching and do bicep curls if you get fed up of pulling normally. loads of ideas here. :)

That sounds really good, well done for trying to get a bit of variety in there. I'm far from an expert but I have found that introducing new ways of exercising is great for kick starting a bit more weight loss, I was using an exercise bike regularly and my weight loss levelled out a little bit, then I started the couch to 5k and lost 4lbs in the first week.

I know you say you didnt feel like it was for you I'm not saying you have to do that, just keep trying new things! My next plan is to give swimming a go - when its quiet and not half term!

Im not very far in to losing the amount of weight I want to but I know what you mean about wanting it to be noticeable! You will get there, just stick with it! Its hard to notice when you see yourself every day, when you bump into someone you havent seen in a while you might be surprised a bit!

Good luck! x

sounds good :)

why not add interval training on the treadmill. still do 10 mins but try walking or jogging for 1 min and walking for 1 min. by doing interval training you up the time your body burns calories afterwards.

if you don't fancy doing it on the treadmill then why not the bike on a hill setting.

be careful of the step machine on your joints, knees and ankles.

you can also change your hold on the rowing maching and do bicep curls if you get fed up of pulling normally. loads of ideas here. :)

Damn you've lost about 48 lbs, I'd better listen to you lol!!

I love Bob Harper!!

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try them out at the gym tomorrow.

That sounds really good, well done for trying to get a bit of variety in there. I'm far from an expert but I have found that introducing new ways of exercising is great for kick starting a bit more weight loss, I was using an exercise bike regularly and my weight loss levelled out a little bit, then I started the couch to 5k and lost 4lbs in the first week.

I know you say you didnt feel like it was for you I'm not saying you have to do that, just keep trying new things! My next plan is to give swimming a go - when its quiet and not half term!

Im not very far in to losing the amount of weight I want to but I know what you mean about wanting it to be noticeable! You will get there, just stick with it! Its hard to notice when you see yourself every day, when you bump into someone you havent seen in a while you might be surprised a bit!

Good luck! x

Thank you!! Good luck to you too! Yeah I met one of my friends whom I hadn't seen since June last week and she told me I looked like I'd lost weight, it was probably just the flattering dress though! :p

Damn you've lost about 48 lbs, I'd better listen to you lol!!

I love Bob Harper!!

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try them out at the gym tomorrow.

lol :) you're so funny. at my biggest i was almost 22st. i'm now around 11st give or take 3-5lb.

interval is the way to go. you'll find that with interval training you'll burn more fat over a longer period of time. 72 hours of fat burning.

lol :) you're so funny. at my biggest i was almost 22st. i'm now around 11st give or take 3-5lb.

interval is the way to go. you'll find that with interval training you'll burn more fat over a longer period of time. 72 hours of fat burning.

Woah, I didn't know about the 72 hours. I'd better do that then. Congratulations, that's such an achievement, I always find myself stopping and starting again.

How often do you recommend that I do it a week? Would you advise for or against doing it daily?

the recommendation is 30 mins a day. i always think that if you do 30 mins with a raised heart rate it is good. i like doing as much as i want to do. this has been sometimes 10 hours a week for weeks and weeks. i like to do at least an hour a day but at the min it is...

monday - nowt
tuesday - 2 hours
wednesday - 1 hour
thursday - 2 hours
friday - 1 hour
saturday - nowt
sunday - 30mins to 1 hour

so 6 1/2 to 7 hours a week. i'm looking for something to do monday and i'm sorted.

i've also been thinking. why not add in some resistance work. weights. you can do this with free weights or use machines or you could try a class. this will give you a sleeker more toned look.

Every time I see your avatar of Bob, I smile :D

i've also been thinking. why not add in some resistance work. weights. you can do this with free weights or use machines or you could try a class. this will give you a sleeker more toned look.

Thanks. I have 3lb weights in my flat. I find I can't lift anything heavier in the gym at the moment LOL! Do you think that's enough for now or should I try to figure out how to use the machines the ripped guys use?

Thank you for all your advice btw. :D

May I ask ... how did you lose the weight? Did you follow a set gym routine? I'm just doing everything I was shown in my induction at my first gym.

i've done the cambridge diet (cd). i did weightwatchers whilst i was feeding my youngest until he was 10 months old. i find that cd gets my weight of quickly and i can then move up the plans and do maintenance. it's a fab diet for fast results but you must go back up the plans and introduce certain foods in the right order then live more of a low carb lifestyle. :D

i have a hoodie that i bought and got bob's saying printed on it. the red one at the bottom of my posts. 'Stand up an finish what you started' i suppose it just means all in all to follow through with your plans, ideas and your life. finish what you set out to achieve no matter how long or how hard the road. it's a journey :D

i've done the cambridge diet (cd). i did weightwatchers whilst i was feeding my youngest until he was 10 months old. i find that cd gets my weight of quickly and i can then move up the plans and do maintenance. it's a fab diet for fast results but you must go back up the plans and introduce certain foods in the right order then live more of a low carb lifestyle. :D

i have a hoodie that i bought and got bob's saying printed on it. the red one at the bottom of my posts. 'Stand up an finish what you started' i suppose it just means all in all to follow through with your plans, ideas and your life. finish what you set out to achieve no matter how long or how hard the road. it's a journey :D

Ahh, I don't know if I have the mindset for a diet. :( My mum put me on Slimming World which didn't work. Maybe I was just too young at the time. I went last year when I went to uni for one class and knew immediately it wasn't going to work for me and I never went back. :eek: The only thing that seems to work for me is going to the gym and nearly killing myself on the treadmill. :p

I'm just back from the gym and it was actually really fun, but for some reason the treadmill is harder for me than usual. I used to be able to run at like 10kmph for about 5 mins at least, now I can't do 7kmph for more than 2 mins. Maybe it's because I go to the gym so sporadically and need to build up my strength again, but it's annoying.

I'm going back again tomorrow to see if it's any easier, and give couch to 5k another go.

Haha, my mum is in love with Bob Harper, but I'd be slim in about a week if Gillian was my trainer. :D

the biggest thing is to keep going. some days i really don't want to leave the house but you must do it as exercise is just a wonderful form of prozac :)

why not try to cut down on the carbs a little. eat low gi. this will make loosing weight a little easier and you still get to eat some nice things.

It sounds very good hun. Maybe you can add some weight exercises. Cardio wise it sounds enough

Thanks everyone!

I have joined the gym instead of paying each time I go ... Now I can go every day at certain times, so I'm going there at 6pm. :D Ate some junk food with my friends over the weekend for the first time in ages and felt so sick that I'm throwing myself back into the working out/cooking regime ... I actually hate junk food :cry:Making vegetable curry tonight!

I actually blame my weight on my (formerly!) sedentary lifestyle and overeating healthy foods rather than junk food. My friends were impressed when I told them I'd joined the gym!

Back