how to stick at it

Some excellent advice here as usual! I would agree that going to group and getting the new books would be a great starting point - corned beef is no longer a free food - I remember when it was! Best to get all new literature and start as a total newbie, that way you may not be inclined to think 'oh well, it used to be free, it must still be...' xx

Do you know what worked for me hun (and I had the same to lose as you but am well on my way now) was to stop thinking of it as a diet...something that had an end...and instead thought of it in the terms of learning new skills and ways of eating that I would and could manage for life. That's not to say I don't and won't have days when I eat more stuff than I should but learning how to keep those days to minimum and have WAY more on plan days.

For me SW is for life and if I even consider 'stopping' it it will be the fast route back to size 22 again.

Good luck hun you can do this xx

Hi everyone. I'm a size 22 - 24 . I would be delighted just to be a size 20 ! I was regularly attending class 3 years ago and had lost about 1st 9 lbs. Gok Wan was on telly and I remember going and buying new clothes following his body shape rules. In some shops I was even getting into a size 20 ... then my elderly mum was admitted to hospital after a fall which resulted in her breaking her thigh. I was at the hospital 2 - 3 times a day and things started to slide. That was in the May. Mum continued to be sick and eventually I was told she was terminally ill with cancer. She died 9 weeks after . I spent as much time in the hospice with her as I could and didn't give a damn about dieting.Then last year i collapsed , losing 4 pints of blood. An artery had burst in my stomach from an ulcer I didn't know I had - it only started to hurt in the week before the collapse , which happened the day before my appointment with the gp to find out why I was in pain ! The next 6 months were spent recovering . For the first 3 months I was so weak I could hardly walk, but gradually my blood count went up ( apparently it takes 120 days to make haemoglobin ! ) I finally went back to work after Christmas. As you can probably imagine, the idea of the surgery is even more scary because of what's happened to me. The Slimming World eating plan is the only plan i have a hope of sticking with , so this really is last chance saloon for me !

I stuck to plan when I started because I needed to lose weight I liked the plan I wasn't hungry and it enabled me to make good choices and feel in control of my eating without being deprived. I then found once I did stick to it that I lost weight and I liked that so I kept sticking to it ad I lost more and so it goes on and I have lost nearly 8.5 stone now. I don't know a great deal about gastric bands but a friend recently had one fitted and its been no miracle cure by any means she was told by her consultant to stick to 800 cals a day to lose weight which if she could have done she wouldn't have needed the band in the first place!

Wow, 8.5 stone .God , you must have worked so hard . I'm full of admiration for you ! I was told that post banding you lose about 70 % of your excess weight and , after all the different phases ( pre op liver reducing diet- high protein low carb, then clear soup only for 2 weeks after band , puréed food for 2 - 4 weeks ) then you finally go on to normal food at about 1200 cals per day. The difference is you feel full much more quickly. I would imagine you lose shed loads on the before you even get to the normal food !

Hi I just wanted to say that i dont know anything about gastric bands sorry but i do know a little about SW .... I know it works but it is a lifestyle change not just a quick fix diet ... I know i will follow this for the rest of my life if i want to feel as good as i do now ... Ive still got more than a stone to loose until target but am really pleased with my loss so far ..... the support and encouragement from this forum is immense!!! Also people sharing their recipes and experiences are brilliant so i am sure if need any help ... there will definately be someone on here to point u in the right direction xxxx

Good luck xxxx You can do it!!!

I'm far from an expert on SW or gastric bands but what I have come to realise in a very short time is that the key to anyone's weight loss is planning. Make time to plan out your week's meals and your shopping lists.

I find that if I've bought certain foods for certain meals that I will do as much preparation for the next day whilst I'm watching over the cooker doing today's evening meal. It only takes 5 mins to chop up a tub of snacking fruit, veg, and/or salad superfree stuff and if its ready in the fridge then you're less likely to snack on the wrong stuff. Also try to get your family on board and explain that you won't be filling the cupboards with naughty sin-filled snacks for a while until you find your willpower - it won't do them any harm to cut out a bit of rubbish from their diets too.

I too have a sweet tooth so last week I invested in the SW Deserts book for some inspiration.

As everyone else has said - even with a band fitted, you're still going to have to re-educate yourself when it comes to food so why not make a determined effort to give SW another go.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck.

Just wanted to say if you go to the recipe section there are loads of cake recipes which are around 12 syns for the whole cake, there's 1/2 syn roulade. If you made those up you could eat the whole cake probably not advised but would be better than going over your syns. Also red/green days would probably be better then you could have loads of milk in your tea x

my friend had a gastric band fitted she lost 10st she has excess skin but they won't do anything about it on the nhs, the only thing she found having a band it didnt alter how she feels about food and has lost the weight unhealthily by still eating junk food mainly cakes and chocolate she has put a stone back on since xmas she said she needed some sort of psychological help as she hasn't learnt to eat healthily, good luck what ever u decide x

hi , thanks for sharing that. what you've said is what's been going around in my head all the time. I've heard of people actually melting Mars Bars and drinking them . As each day goes by I can feel myself arguing that banding is not the only way. Thank you for your reply - and also to everyone who's taken the time out to reply to my posting;)

Back