HXS and Supplements ... Calcium all advice welcome

Hello All,

I am very bad at getting my HXA in! But I know my body needs calcium to loose! Is it worth taking a calcium supplement on top on the SW plan???

any help welcome xx

I struggle too as I don't drink enough milk or cheese, but I do eat calcium rich fish like Sardines quite regularly.
I also have a calcium and vitamin d supplement at night. not £10 it was from Sainsburys!

Hey there! I'm not sure how reliable the sources are as I haven't read all the research, but there seems to be a growing amount of evidence linking calcium supplements to an increased risk of heart attacks, particularly if taken without other supplements, although the NHS website says that taking 1,500mg or less a day of calcium supplements is unlikely to cause any harm. It's worth checking with a doctor first hun before taking calcium tablets :) As jezzi said, it's worth trying to find a food source first...do you like yoghurts? One mullerlight has 21% of your RDA of calcium, so a couple of those a day can increase your intake by over 40%, without touching your Hexs :)

I found this on the internet:

"One of the very best sources of calcium is tofu whilst others include vegetables such as curly kale, okra, horseradish and watercress. You can also get significant amounts from red kidney beans, soya beans, petit pois, broccoli, cabbage, celery and parsnips too. In addition, calcium is also found in many other staple foods including bread. Most soya drinks are also calcium-enriched as are some other soya products and breakfast cereals too. The calcium contained in these fortified foods will be utilised most effectively where they also contain added vitamin D too"

Also, as Shirleen said, fish where you eat the bones (e.g. sardines and pilchards etc) are a good source of calcium

Hey there! I'm not sure how reliable the sources are as I haven't read all the research, but there seems to be a growing amount of evidence linking calcium supplements to an increased risk of heart attacks, particularly if taken without other supplements, although the NHS website says that taking 1,500mg or less a day of calcium supplements is unlikely to cause any harm. It's worth checking with a doctor first hun before taking calcium tablets :) As jezzi said, it's worth trying to find a food source first...do you like yoghurts? One mullerlight has 21% of your RDA of calcium, so a couple of those a day can increase your intake by over 40%, without touching your Hexs :)

I found this on the internet:

"One of the very best sources of calcium is tofu whilst others include vegetables such as curly kale, okra, horseradish and watercress. You can also get significant amounts from red kidney beans, soya beans, petit pois, broccoli, cabbage, celery and parsnips too. In addition, calcium is also found in many other staple foods including bread. Most soya drinks are also calcium-enriched as are some other soya products and breakfast cereals too. The calcium contained in these fortified foods will be utilised most effectively where they also contain added vitamin D too"

Also, as Shirleen said, fish where you eat the bones (e.g. sardines and pilchards etc) are a good source of calcium

Thank you for this reply! I do like yogurts so think im gonna get my fill of fat free plain! I also love kidney beans so there's another option! Can't get away with the fish but this is a great help!

Back