Hypothyroid and slimming!

Try taking kelp tablets from
Holland and barretts, it really helped me before I was on levothyroxin and it is known to help those with low thyroxin levels :) x

Funnily enough, my old doc suggested this too - so holland & barratts it is.
I don't know a lot about what causes it - its a new doctor & she doesn't tell me anything x

Slimbysummer said:
Funnily enough, my old doc suggested this too - so holland & barratts it is.
I don't know a lot about what causes it - its a new doctor & she doesn't tell me anything x

Lol my doctor drew me a diagram!! I did a lot of online research though as was a lot to take in. I had pretty much every symptom right down to bad breathe (lovely!!) my parents kept commenting on it but I was brushing my teeth 3 times a day, using mouthwash and mints and gum... Now I know why!! Defo try to kelp tablets really worth it!!! Xx

I too have hypothyroidism and have lost 8lbs in 4 weeks which I am really pleasedwithh as I haven't had to starve myself!! I would be over the moon to lose just a 1lb a week - 52 in a year xxx

Does anyone else with hypothyroidism get really painful stomach cramps after they drink alcohol. I only had 4 vodkas last night and woke up at 5am with really painful cramps and running to the loo. This isn't the 1st time ... Just wondering is this a normal side effect?? X

Morning miss Lindsay

I don't have any problems like that. In fact very little upsets my stomach or bowels, mores the pity (I might eat less then).:rolleyes:

I have no idea what might cause that. I know when I get very anxious I get tummy ache and then have to rush to the loo. Alcohol isnt going to make you anxious though. There must be something in the vodka ( or mixer) that disagrees with you. Does it happen with other alcohol?

Yeah happens with rosé and shots, think it's just alcohol in general! I haven't really drunk much in last 8-10 months, if I have 1 jack daniels it's fine. I think it might be the sugar with alcohol in it cos if I eat really rich food or over eat it's the Same effect.... They 1st thought I had IBS before I was properly diagnosed. Guess the calories from the drink might have gone though... Silver lining! :p

I just had a quick look on the web for a link but couldnt really find much. One poster reckons it's long term untreated gastritis, which could also explain the rich food. Another pointed to IBS and another talked about gluten intolerance.

So, basically, I think you'll have to cut out the alcohol :cry:

Never mind think of the saved calories :) x

Thanks for looking :D I had gasteroenteritus (sp!) when I was 1. Yeah I think just stay away from alcohol is the safest bet. Or just stick to 1. But like u said it's saves calories and I'd rather a bit of choc than booze lol x

Hi Jane,

I was diagnosed in 2000 with a underactive thyroid and slowwly over the years my dose went up and so did my weight.
Started SW last Jan and have lost 4 1/2 stone, yes I only lost it 1lb or 1 1/2lb a week but I have no flabby skin that everyone talks about.

I would be careful about the kelp tablets as too much iodine in a diet can effect your thyroid, there is enough in your normal diet. I was advised not to have Galaways cough syrup as it contains iodine.

But with SW you should lose the weight at a slow and stead pace, remember the tortose and the hare story.
Enjoy your journey.

Hi cyberjelly

You've done so well. If I lose like that I'll be overjoyed. Unfortunately I had to miss wi last week as I was away, but I've had a sneaky look on the scales and think I may be down another pound. I've stuck to the diet rigidly with no cheating whatsoever. Mind you even 1/2 lb per week is better than nothing. Next wi is Wednesday a.m. so it could be a bit more.

I think my metabolism is at absolute rock bottom so I think I'll have to try to do something about that.

I bet you feel and look fantastic :) x

Jane, the only thing I have found that effects my weight loss is when I don't exercise.
I have access to the college's gym but come half terms and holidays I don't get to do as much when I'm off. But vow to change that this year as I have started running/jogging with a local running shop. HAvew signed up to do a sport relief mile (although mine is the 6 mile) and the race for life (5k) to give me goals to wotk towards.

I only have about 6lb (minus what ever I lose this week) to get to goal. Then may move down another 1/2 stone or stay were I am see how I feel.

But good luck with your weight lose and don't beat yourself up if you don't lose as much as the next person or your friends their bodies are differnt to your and each loses weight in their own way.

Hi,
I've started sw & my mum is following my plan. She has Thyroid trouble also. She got down to a size 12 a few years ago, then the doctor changed her dose of thyroxine. The weight went back on with a vengence. The trouble she has is that the doctor insists that she is on the right dosage & will not revise the dosage. Any ideas what we can do? she gets so depressed.

Hi lil pet dragon

I don't know enough to answer that but if you go to thyroid patient advocacy on yahoo groups or thyroiduk.healthunlocked.com and ask, someone will answer with excellent advice. They are both fantastic groups, your mum can post her results and will get good advice on what her best course of action should be. I've learnt so much from reading the info on these sites.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to paste links but if you have trouble finding them let me know. You have to register with both but, obviously it's free and well worth it. X

Hi,
I've started sw & my mum is following my plan. She has Thyroid trouble also. She got down to a size 12 a few years ago, then the doctor changed her dose of thyroxine. The weight went back on with a vengence. The trouble she has is that the doctor insists that she is on the right dosage & will not revise the dosage. Any ideas what we can do? she gets so depressed.

Has she had her blood checked recently? Is there any other doctor she can see? Is she having symptoms, other than the weight gain and depression (which I appreciate are both terrible on their own)?

I too have an under active thyroid but it is now well controlled with thyroxine. I have been doing SW for 6 weeks and had good losses (18lb so far) so my fears about slow or difficult weight loss have been unfounded. I'm sure it is different for everyone but I think if it is well controlled you should be fine .

Well done mumof4girls - your hands must be full:)

I look forward to the day when levothyroxine gets my tsh to acceptable levels! I've started on 25mg as I had a heart attack last year. It's a hard slog at times but the posters here have really made me feel much more positive about the slimming world diet. The meals I've cooked so far have been healthy and filling and have tasted delicious so I reckon it's going to be relatively easy to follow.

Thanks again x

Slimming world is great :)

I lost 2lb the first week
Away on business the second and stopping in hotels!
And the third week 3.5lb.

I'm so pleased. My average weight loss with ww was about 2lb month.

Slimming world is sooooooo easy. X

Very nervous today. Have an appointment with my endocrinologist tomorrow. I am sure he thinks I'm a hypochondriac. I have very low vitamin d and I'm hoping he doesn't decide that is what is making me so tired, hair loss, etc and stop the thyroid meds. He shouldn't as my tsh has been anything from 6 to 13 but I'm sure fellow hypo slimmers know how difficult it is to be treated when hypo:mad: I'm on a trial of levothyroxine at the moment!

On the plus side, I've read that having a reasonable level of vit d aids weight loss. Hope its true. My vit d was 21 ref range 30 to 100. AT least I should start my treatment for that.

Anyone who is hypothyroid should ask for vit d, folate, b12 and iron to be checked if it hasn't been. It's so important and many hypothyroid people are deficient. Xx

Phew! My worries re endo were unfounded. He's upped my levothyroxine and told me what vitamin d to take plus ordered a load more tests. I'm very happy :eek:

According to the net having a good level of vitamin d can aid weight loss. I hope so :D

Back