I am going to become a consultant *screeeam*

custardlipstick

Addicted to Cheese
Found out yesterday, I have been accepted to become a consultant!! I am so excited and I am offically allowed to say I will be taking over the Carmel group near Holywell (n.wales) in mid sept.

So I was just wondering, what to you makes a great group and are there any which stand out as particually awesome?! My OH has already decided that he wants to make syn free pancakes in the corner for pancake day... (he is odd :p) but everyone I know says Im friendly and brill with members so cant wait!

Well done that's brilliant!
I think a good consultant is one who really tries to support their members and encourages them to achieve. In my group our C and a load of us did the Race for Life together earlier in the year and we plan on doing a Santa Dash in December. We got special t-shirts made and everything :D
Maybe an idea would be to try going to different groups in your area and seeing what kinds of things other C do and you can pick the best of each!

Thanks hun!! Due to lots of moving I have been to lots of groups, one of which organised a monthly walk which I loved as it was a great excuse to go somewhere you had never been before. LOVE the santa dash idea but maybe next year. I always get involved as a member but I now get to organise things and its even scarier!! hehe got all summer to sort myself out though :) cant wait and thanks for your opinion xx

Well done!!! That's brilliant!!

For me the best groups are the ones with a little bit of banter and variety... the boring sessions are when you literally just do the 'how much did you lose' bit.

Always have a chat at the start with maybe an update or a feature... like "Potatoes - what you can do with them" :S

Just don't get me to write your features!!

Good luck and make sure you let us know how you're getting on with youre new group!

xx

Congratulations on becoming a consultant! Our consultant who moved to another group recently used to do monthly sessions where we all bought in a SW dish and shared recipes...that worked well and gave people lots of new ideas. She also set up a Facebook Group for the class which was also a good way to share ideas as well as successes and struggles.

From a members' point of view, my only criticism of SW as a whole is that target members get less support and encouragement on the whole and it would be nice to see a change in that.

All the very best with your new venture.

Debs xx

We also have a facebook group which now has about 70 members and have just started doing a recipe share thing where each week we get a food and come up with a recipe which we share at group.

How is it going now? my husband looks set to becoming a consultant and he's really excited about it, but it sounds like an unhill struggle to me, i think successful consultants are like gold dust.

Well done!

I think the group members make the group, as well as the consultant. If the members don't share or say much then it's pretty tough to get anything out of it.
I think a good consultant is very supportive outside of group, I think this is lacking with a lot of consultants. I must admit, a text after a rubbish weigh in, or a message when nearing an award can really help and we don't get that in our group.

I also think ingredients and a recipe make a great raffle prize too.

Good luck!

My consultant puts out receipe ideas and a weekly 50p menu raffle. She also puts out food wrappers with syn values on. I love my weekly texts from her to motivate and kept me on track. Hth, good luck and congratulations. X

Our raffles often contain things like a new magazine, some of the books, hi-fi bars, microwave egg poachers, skipping ropes. The members love it and its all stuff that won't go off like some food can.

Congratulations!

I've had experience of what I consider to be a bad consultant but am glad to say that my current consultant is wonderful.

The first consultant seemed to get bigger and bigger every week. She still used to say that she had lost x amount and it really put me off. I think it would have been fine if she was honest about it as the group could have supported her. She never gave praise to those who had done well and the session after WI was just to go around everyone and call out their weekly loss/gain. Until I joined my current group, I didn't know that we were supposed to have an introduction. All I got at this group was my book!

My current consultant is wonderful. She goes through everything with new members and has examples of EE/Original/Green day menus on big boards. If you've had a bad week or you are coming up to a milestone, she will text or call to give encouragement and support.

At group, she goes around everyone (no matter how long it takes) and gives everyone a chance to share their week - whether that means sharing a recipe, telling everyone about your new jeans or moaning about the OH!

There are always social events going on. Even if it is just a meal out together or going for a walk. There are hundreds of members spread over her groups and this gives us all a chance to meet and make new friends.

We also have a facebook page and I find that really useful. Lots of tried and tested recipes, menu ideas and even a kick up the backside if you need one.

I'm sure you'll be a great consultant. You seem really excited and keen. I bet September can't come quick enough for you!

custardlipstick said:
Found out yesterday, I have been accepted to become a consultant!! I am so excited and I am offically allowed to say I will be taking over the Carmel group near Holywell (n.wales) in mid sept.

So I was just wondering, what to you makes a great group and are there any which stand out as particually awesome?! My OH has already decided that he wants to make syn free pancakes in the corner for pancake day... (he is odd :p) but everyone I know says Im friendly and brill with members so cant wait!

Well done :) I'm from North Wales too-but a little bit further west ;) good luck with it all x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

well done to you. i love our consultant, shes warm hearted, genuinely interested and cares so much about her members. always positive and upbeat even if the members hearts aren't in it at group one particualar day or something. weekly texts to spur us on, weekly challenges, scan bran this week. theres always a good bit of banter in the group amongst us all. goodluck with everything :)

I would say a good consultant is friendly and approachable like ours ... she is so nice and nothing is too much trouble for her ... shes always smiling and very helpful .... i love going to class on a monday morning ... its like a social event and a good laugh as well.

Being a consultant is something I am giving some thought to so let us know how it all goes .... good luck xxxxx

Support is a big thing and one of the reasons I left my class as I got NONE from my dreadful leader. Texts, facebook pages, events, it all helps to feel the members feel part of something and motivated to continue.

Also, don't just make every meeting about going round the group and asking how people have done. Whilst thats fine every 2/3 weeks it gets so boring, you don't learn anything. Make the meetings fun, pick a theme to discuss and bring in props, get everyone involved. SW really falls down on the meetings, I was a WW leader for 2 years and every week we had to write a 30 min meeting that got the members involved and learning something - it was a pain for me(!) but my members loved it and it helped with their motivation no end. For example, one day we discussed the calories you burn doing housework which lead on to body magic discussions. We did recipe swaps but I had everyone on their feet going round to other members to show them what they had. Other weeks we discussed the best 'junk food' or chocolate to have but the emotional reasons why we craved it too. I've still got all the stuff saved on my computer and go back to it from time to time for motivation, even though it's a different diet the messages are the same!

Good luck!

I think that the most important thing is to treat every one of your members as special. One thing that gets mentioned in this forum quite often is that people feel that their consultant favours some members over others. If you remember that they are all individuals, some are confident, some are scared, some are putting on a brave face, some are nice, some are difficult - but they are all your members and should be treated with equal respect.

I think you have had a good education on how to be a good consultant by reading the posts on this forum!

Good luck - I am sure you will do brilliantly!

AnnaFaraday said:
I think that the most important thing is to treat every one of your members as special. One thing that gets mentioned in this forum quite often is that people feel that their consultant favours some members over others. If you remember that they are all individuals, some are confident, some are scared, some are putting on a brave face, some are nice, some are difficult - but they are all your members and should be treated with equal respect.

I think you have had a good education on how to be a good consultant by reading the posts on this forum!

Good luck - I am sure you will do brilliantly!

Perfectly put.

Our C definitely appears favour certain members and never text support thru. Ie I'm half a pound from my 1st stone loss and I've never had a call or text.
I've also got som and sow and never had a cert or anything.

She leaves in 2 weeks and I can't say I'll be missing her. Let's hope the next one is a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ellie, I can't believe that your consultant didn't give you your certs!!! What's the point in her doing SOW and SOM if she's not going to give them out. I bet that has demotivated lots of members.

Back