I am going to become a consultant *screeeam*

i have only been a member for a few weeks but in that time we had a Healthy B swap session. Everyone was given a little plastic freezer bag and we had to bring in our usual/favourite healthy B. Then consultant talked about them and we all did a swap to try something new. I now have a thing for those mini shredded wheats with fruit in.

Good luck

Thank you ALL for the brilliant comments, as most of you have said andAnnaFarady put so well, treating them all as individuals is important. My consultant saids out a weekly text and sometimes its a generic "Im thinking about you, hope your behaving" text but its written in a nice poem and it does make you think about that chocolate bar your about to shove in your gob! Haha

I am thinking of doing a recipe raffle as have spoken to alot of people who love this idea, and I will try and do a theme each week. Once in a while its nice to have a talky session but even if its just talking about different types of sausages available may help someone and these are the sessions I find most helpful. Cant wait! Already talking to a lady on FB who will become one of my members. Ill have to let you all know how it does! Only 10 weeks!xx

Well done!

I think the group members make the group, as well as the consultant. If the members don't share or say much then it's pretty tough to get anything out of it.
I think a good consultant is very supportive outside of group, I think this is lacking with a lot of consultants. I must admit, a text after a rubbish weigh in, or a message when nearing an award can really help and we don't get that in our group.

I also think ingredients and a recipe make a great raffle prize too.

Good luck!
Agreed!
I think you'll work out what kind of group it is when you get there, how much banter there is etc etc.

I also agree about the after hours thing.
I used to really benefit from a text, or at least knowing my C wanted to help. Now her group has got pretty big and she actually had a moan that people kept contacting her outside of group and she has a full time job so now I don't want to bother her :(

Ellie, I can't believe that your consultant didn't give you your certs!!! What's the point in her doing SOW and SOM if she's not going to give them out. I bet that has demotivated lots of members.

I had that so many times when I went to class :( Also my half/stone awards, I always seemed to be having to *ask* for the bloddy sticker :( Not good.

i wish my c put a bit more effort in... iv only started to realise this recently.

she gives out slimmer of the week stickers, but never does slimmer of the month, theres no certificates and i guess to an extent she does favour certain members, me being one of them .. i loved that she was so proud of me dont get me wrong, and she loved to display my little framed YSOTY certificate and occasionally i'd walk in to find my board of all my before and after pics at the back (you know what i mean kirsty, the ones we took to YSOTY) .. but i dont get the same support i need now, im looked to to advise and constantly asked what i think.. which is fine.. i like to help, but im the one who needs help now and im not getting it. I keep hearing 'you will do it again' and its like, how.. how do you know that? its almost like an expectation.. like i shouldnt struggle because i know what im doing?

I know youv worried about your weight affecting it Kirsty, but as iv mentioned before my C has been a c for 25+ yrs and she looses, gains, looses gains.. its never been for life.. shes never managed to keep her weight offf consistantly .. atleast your honest and you can use your experiance to show your members your human too.. but this is how your dealing with it.. and does anyone have any tips for you? .. Everyone looks to their C to guide them, but its also nice to know that you'l be on that journey with them personally too.

Your gunna do so fab hon.. my only advise is to always strive to make your classes interesting and different, i think the problem is alot of C's get so far down the line were class becomes routine and they no longer feel like can dedicate the time to it anymore and as most groups.. it just becomes about going around the group and discussing losses and gains, setting next weeks target and on to the next one..

my c hasnt ever sent support through text or phonecall.. we were in touch outside of class when we travelled up to head office together but nothing since, .. and actually now you mention it.. i felt like she could have text to see if i were okay when i didnt turn up to classes for 8 weeks .. when i felt i couldnt cope being pregnant and trying to follow sw too. i sent her a message through one of the other members to explain, but that was after 3 weeks of absense.. you'd think after 3 years of being a member of hers she'd of wanted to check i was okay and see what was going on???

............. sorry i digress! .. anyways, i think youl be fab.. and its clear your classes will be fab as your so interested in making them great already. xxx

Then fact that you are keen and trying to do new things shows you'll be great.Its little things that matter like noticing you've missed someone out if their weight didn't register on her list and remembering what they have said before without them having to repeat it AND NEVER EVER treating them like an idiot. I have a alovely con now but had the one from Little Britain before and it really makes a adiffernce. Pob lwc -not that you'll need it! x

Congrats - fab news. My consultant is always trying to get me to be a consultant but i've not lost enough weight for myself yet to feel confident giving advice to others!
What makes a great consultant group???? mmmm i'd say, just be yourself, support the group and lots of texts etc. I've set up a facebook page for the group where i go and we are all sort of really encouraging to each other.
I think if you've got a decent group of people who are friendly bubbly then you'll do just great xxx

Lilyb said:
Support is a big thing and one of the reasons I left my class as I got NONE from my dreadful leader. Texts, facebook pages, events, it all helps to feel the members feel part of something and motivated to continue.

Also, don't just make every meeting about going round the group and asking how people have done. Whilst thats fine every 2/3 weeks it gets so boring, you don't learn anything. Make the meetings fun, pick a theme to discuss and bring in props, get everyone involved. SW really falls down on the meetings, I was a WW leader for 2 years and every week we had to write a 30 min meeting that got the members involved and learning something - it was a pain for me(!) but my members loved it and it helped with their motivation no end. For example, one day we discussed the calories you burn doing housework which lead on to body magic discussions. We did recipe swaps but I had everyone on their feet going round to other members to show them what they had. Other weeks we discussed the best 'junk food' or chocolate to have but the emotional reasons why we craved it too. I've still got all the stuff saved on my computer and go back to it from time to time for motivation, even though it's a different diet the messages are the same!

Good luck!

I'm a fairly new consultant to SW and going round the group talking to members finding how they have done etc is what we call image therapy and that is done every week in group really hope my members aren't bored ....very interesting thread it's always good to get opinions of others :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Congrats - fab news. My consultant is always trying to get me to be a consultant but i've not lost enough weight for myself yet to feel confident giving advice to others!
What makes a great consultant group???? mmmm i'd say, just be yourself, support the group and lots of texts etc. I've set up a facebook page for the group where i go and we are all sort of really encouraging to each other.
I think if you've got a decent group of people who are friendly bubbly then you'll do just great xxx

My C is the same. Always trying to get me to be a C. It's something I would love to do however off to uni in September and so for 2 years I will be travelling up and down the country for that. After that I will be doing god-forsaken shifts so not a chance sadly.

In all fairness my C has never sent out texts other than ringing people up during their first week or if you text her. I've never found it to be a problem or even thought of it to be honest. She's a bit ditsy anyway bless her. She's still a far far better C than my last one though who's image therapy was boring as. We are constantly laughing now. Plus twice over the past few weeks we have had a different C in which has actually been quite nice as I think it has brought different ideas into the group.

Don't do what my last C did which was discuss people's weight losses after class at brunch! Like one lady who seemed to have an eating disorder and could literally lose or gain half a stone in a week. She was great in every other way but this left a bad taste in my mouth. Of course it was thinly veiled as "concern" but we all knew it was just a bit of gossip.

Don't do what my last C did which was discuss people's weight losses after class at brunch! Like one lady who seemed to have an eating disorder and could literally lose or gain half a stone in a week. She was great in every other way but this left a bad taste in my mouth. Of course it was thinly veiled as "concern" but we all knew it was just a bit of gossip.

:eek: Ooo...naughty!

NiaX said:
Ellie, I can't believe that your consultant didn't give you your certs!!! What's the point in her doing SOW and SOM if she's not going to give them out. I bet that has demotivated lots of members.

Consultants have to buy the certs I always have them but some don't if that's the case you will just get a sticker for your book x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thats awful!! We were always told during teacher training, dont talk about the kids as you dont know who their dad/brother/cousin is and they could be serving you/sat behing you etc and you could end up in serious trouble! That really is horrible of her, there is having a gossip and then the members knowing that she will talk about you behind your back the next day. Will not be doing this!!! lol

I think from what has been said, texts and fb really do help, I find it good so as I am on an unlimited text contract definately think a weekly text, even if its just a thinking of you hope your on track would be good. One a group has been set up of everyone to send it to, should be easy to resend the message then. It is shocking how some people can have VERY different experiences of the same company. Glad to say my district was nominated for district of the year and I hope to help us keep that nomination!!xxx

Back