I Am The Walrus

AppleCharlee

Hi, I'd like to take a mini-mo to introduce myself.

I'm Charlotte, I'm 5,6" and my current weight is 17 Stone 6LBS. My goal weight is 10 Stone 7LBS.

I have always been slim throughout my childhood & early teens, however I started gaining weight when I turned 18. At this point my weight was 13 Stone 6LBS. I joined my local Scottish Slimmers and followed their weight-loss program with varying success.

When I turned 21 I had slimmed down to a size 14 and weighed 11 Stone 4LBS. I was happy with my weight at this point however I was determined to reach my goal weight of 10 Stone 7 LBS.

It was at this time that I got into an unstable relationship that at times was abusive and as a result I started experiencing panic attacks. As the years passed I gained back the weight I had lost AND more. My anxiety attacks worsened and at the age of 25 I developed Agoraphobia. I had to quit work and became practically housebound.

Last year I decided that I would make a real effort/attempt to lose weight as I have now been diagnosed as Hypoglycaemic. I also suffer with PCOS, Endometriosis and hirsutism. However my mum was diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer in April of last year and had to undergo many procedures/Chemotherapy and a life-saving operation in October. During this time my anxiety disorder worsened and as a result I was unable to focus or concentrate on applying/dedicating myself to a weight-loss program or exercise regime. I am also completely housebound at the moment and I'm suffering from depression (for which I take medication). This has made it extremely difficult for me to remain physically active and I spend a lot of time in my bedroom.

I don't eat a lot, maybe once a day but it's usually take-away or junk of some description? I have noticed a markable change in my health, I feel unwell most of the time. Shaky/weak/dizzy, nauseas & anxious. I have no routine to speak of and I don't sleep well.

However I am now at the stage whereby I am EXTREMELY concerned about my health and I know if I don't do something about it now then I will most definitely develop type 2 Diabetes, (that's if I don't already have it!) I cannot visit my GP or have blood-work done because of my Agoraphobia so I've no idea what's going on with my health?

So, here I am, embarking on what I hope will be my final and successful attempt to lose the weight and improve my fitness & overall health. I just don't know which way I should play it? Should I re-revise my old Scottish Slimmers books/Weight Plan? Or should I follow a Hypoglycaemic diet plan, or one for PCOS?

Also I have a spare room with a Treadmill, a Cross Trainer and various other gym equipment as well as my Wii Fit so if I can force myself into a routine then I'm sure I could manage a fitness regime without having to leave the house? It's just so very difficult trying to motivate yourself when you have clinical depression. However my sister died at the age of 18 of heart failure and I have an ectopic heartbeat so I owe it to her to improve my fitness and reduce my risk of developing Heart Disease (of which I'm told Scotland has the highest rate globally!) That's scary!

Anywho, that's my story, and here I am & if you've had the patience to read my wee novel, then I thank you for your time & patience!

I guess it would be nice if anyone who has been in a similar situation could advise regarding the Hypoglycaemia and the PCOS issues. Should I just follow a box-standard healthy eating plan? Are there certain foods I should absolutely avoid? Should I avoid Carbohydrates completely? I guess any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Charlotte X

Welcome Charlotte,

You have been through the mill over the past few years and it has taken a toll on your health and well being and I am delighted to hear you feel ready now to do something about it as this is the first step.

However, there are a few things that concerns me and that is the history of heart disease in your family it would be very unwise to start any diet or exercise plan without having yourself checked over by your doctor first to see what the best weight plan might suit you best and the doctor could advise you on how to begin exercising as you can easily over do things at the start which can be dangerous.

I am sure if you phone your doctor and tell him how that you suffer from panic attacks and Agoraphobia and unable to attends his surgery but that you needed his advice on going on a diet to lose weight and taking up exercise that he would make a house call to see you and check you over as I expect he would be happy to help.

Your doctor would need to monitor you while you lose weight as some of the medication you are now taking will most lightly have to be adjusted accordingly to your weight loss.

In the mean time until your doctor gives you the go ahead you can begin to cut down on the junk foods, you don't have to give it all up at once but decide each day what you feel you can now do without and say good bye to it as you no longer need it, you will find it easier each time to make a healthy decision for yourself as it increases your will power ... it would help if you planned proper home cooked meals for yourself as this would help to reduce the cravings for sugary foods and I am sure you know lots of lovely healthy meals that you used before when you were doing Scottish Slimmers.

When you nourish your body with good food you will find that it will help you both mentally and physically.

You could start a diary now on here and that will help to keep you motivated and give others a place to drop by and say hello.

Here is a link below Weight Loss Diary - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

Fingers crossed that all goes well and that you get the go ahead to start your weight loss journey:fingerscrossed:

If you need any help be sure to ask:)

hi hun welcome to minimins :) i am following s/w and have lost about 20lbs in the last few months it is such a good plan and you don't feel hungry on it why don't you give it a go there is a thread on here explaining the plans , i don't know if u've seen it but there is a pcos thread on here somewhere it might be worth reading if u haven't already
good luck what ever u decide x

Hi and welcome. Scottish Slimmers seems to suit you and coupled with support from your doctor should send you on your way to losing the pounds. Good luck.

Irene xx

Back