i cant do the diet because...

silhouettes

Silver Member
disclaimer: this is not in response to any specific threads, just what i have noticed (about myself as well)

Before starting this diet i would always 'cheat' on diets, justifying it with, i cant diet on christmas day, my birthday, new years eve, cousin bob's wedding etc. But the real thing was that i didnt want to. although it sounds like i am being pedantic there really is a difference. saying I cant do the diet on whatever occaision takes away the control that you have and is using excuses to justify your behaviour, being honest with yourself and saying i am choosing not to diet on that day means that it is you who is in charge and not the food.

You can do this diet on any day and any occaision, but if you choose not to then make sure it is in your control, decide what food you are going to eat, how long you are breaking the diet for and exactly when you are getting back on track.

Reactions: KD
I totally agree. I think though that you can do ANY diet so long as youre focussed and decide its what you want.

I know that theres nothing I can eat during the week that beats that feeling when I step on the scales on a Monday and see the numbers going down :)

Yeh I understand. I know I will not diet on christmas day. It will ruin christmas for me and make me grumpy and my family will feel awkward. This christmas is the first time in years the whole family will be back together (Me and 2 brother have been at uni and my sister lived in france) and I am not going to let my diet be the focus of the day.

I have already decided that I WILL eat christmas dinner BUT I will limit my intake to low carb stuff like meat and a few veg. I admit I dont want to do LL on christmas day, im not lying to myself. I think one day will not ruin the other 99 days of abstienence I have worked hard for. I am actually seeing it as a reward for being good. Strange isnt it.......... I'm actually rewarding myself with a cheat for nor cheating.

Yea, i fell that way too.

Although i havent been doing it long (lol SS for 3day) I know that im in this for the long haul. Xmas dinner is something that is keeping me going. Right now I feel like that because iv only just began this diet - so who knows? maybe when i get to Xmas all i will want is my delicious shake and soup lol!!

I just feel quite low atm but i totally understand sillohouettes point!! I alway cheated on diets and to be honest i would get away with it because i would still lose weight - albeit 2-3 lbs - but still lol!!

This diet s different- I want everything - all i can talk about is food - yet im sitting her munching ice content on smelling my families dinner!!

Is this normal?

Jemma xx

Jemma,

You made me laugh! I think it is normal and fab that you can do that. I think i might have to be away at dinner time for others!

My first class is tonight and its odd but one of my main concerns when getting my medical etc. done was - what will i do on xmas day? and how will I not drink over xmas? I have no idea! and to be honest I need to try and get through the next however many weeks untill xmas first!

crazy huh.

Hiya, I too made plenty of excuses before this diet. Now, well, I have attended numerous occasions, weddings, birthdays, BBQs etc and like Starlight, there is nothing like jumping of the scales at group and seeing where they will settle. Nice feeling that it always (so far!) goes downwards.
DaveP, I can totally see where you are coming from in terms of treating yourself at christmas with something which we are told is not a treat. Just after I had reached the 3stone off mark I had my companies corporate dinner dance, a real swanky affair, and I went with the total intention of having some "dinner". I stuck to Meat and some green salad and a couple of Malt whiskies(my huge treat!) and the following day I was straight back on plan. I saw it as a "well done" to me for having lost so much weight. I think your head needs to be in the right place to be able to do it and not make it a habit.
I want to get to a "normal" weight and that is the driver for me to carry on with the program even when I am having a bad day for what ever reason. And the reality, for me, is that it is easy not to cheat on this diet.

Great post silhouettes and very true :)

Yeh I understand. I know I will not diet on christmas day. It will ruin christmas for me and make me grumpy and my family will feel awkward.

I wouldn't dream of trying to persuade you otherwise;) After all, I also 'came off' for Christmas and I do understand the need to join in with the Christmas meal, especially under the circumstances you mention....but....just to be sure you are making an informed choice I feel a need to add a couple of things.

You could be miserable sticking to the diet and not eating with the others, or you could be happy. That again is your choice. It isn't inevitable that you would be miserable. It will be entirely up to you and how you create your mood.

Secondly, each year I hear about people choosing to eat at Christmas. Each time they are so sure it's going to be for just that day, and so often I watch them struggle to get back on the wagon. Some do...some don't...ever.

So, whichever way you decide to go, I hope it will be the right one for you :)

I do plan on not counting my points on Christmas Day but only on Christmas Day and wont see it as an excuse to go mad :) The only day so far Ive come off my diet was my birthday a few weeks ago and tho I didnt count points I was mindful of what I was eating, thoroughly enjoyed the day and got straight back on track the next day. I think so long as you do restrict it to just Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, well its almost the new year now, New years Day, Ill start again next week...... then one day off is good ;) Like everything its all about doing it in moderation.

Ive told the guys at work NOT to buy chocolates etc at Christmas & Ive excluded myself from the cooked breakfast planned at work on New Years Day :)

I think so long as you do restrict it to just Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, well its almost the new year now, New years Day, Ill start again next week...... then one day off is good ;) Like everything its all about doing it in moderation.

I'm not sure that it works quite the same with a VLCD. What with the ketosis factor and all. I know that I found it much easier getting back onto WW, SW calorie counting etc after a break. just slipped back in.

After a VLCD, it's not quite so easy and remember that the first time on a VLCD is your golden time..etc etc.

Dear All

This is a great thread. Well done, silhouettes.

Re the Festive Debate:

If you read Ice Moose's blog, which I thoroughly recommend, you can see how he dealt with Christmas. My CambridgeLife - iBlog, Do You?

Second, you don't know how you will feel on the day. I started LighterLife knowing that I was going to NYC; I let the trip dominate my thoughts in the first few weeks of the programme when it needn't have. If you follow the programme, you may find that you are so in the zone that you don't want to wreck your progress.

Third, of course, one day is one day but on a VLCD it's very hard to get back on the wagon. I speak from personal experience; it's not so much the food but the mental torment.

Ultimately, so many events in our lives are inextricably linked to food. I really found that for my birthday (early in Route to Management). I felt I HAD to have celebratory food but, guess what? One month on, I wish I hadn't.

Anyway, I wish you well with the programme and whatever you decide, I hope you feel the benefits - either way!!

Take care.

Mrs Lxxxxxx

Hmm, this is interesting.

The way i feel atm is that yea ill have my xmas day meal but i think im expecting a huuuge taste explosion lol:bliss:

It probably wont.

I can feel my attitude changing as the days go past as my mind ( not so much my body) is accepting that this is the way it is for the moment ( or the next year)

One day at a time!

Every day that goes past im more and more surprised at myself for doing it!

Is this a normal feeling?

Jemma xx

I made the decision at the beginning of the diet that I was not doing Christmas Day dinner. I told my family this, they understood and I have arranged to go over after they've finished eating.

In my first LL session we got onto the subject of using food as a reward and how it's a mindset we need to get out of. On previous diets I used to reward myself with certain foods when I hit goals I had set myself which is actually quite bizarre logic. We'd all be horrified if one of our friends who was a heroin addict 'rewarded' themselves with three months clean by shooting up!

I made the decision at the beginning of the diet that I was not doing Christmas Day dinner. I told my family this, they understood and I have arranged to go over after they've finished eating.

In my first LL session we got onto the subject of using food as a reward and how it's a mindset we need to get out of. On previous diets I used to reward myself with certain foods when I hit goals I had set myself which is actually quite bizarre logic. We'd all be horrified if one of our friends who was a heroin addict 'rewarded' themselves with three months clean by shooting up!
Totally with you there Chris, I used to do the same.
I have now decided that I am also not going to break for Christmas. I was in 2 minds, but have decided to go with the adult :) (I was considering it because I wanted to, not because it would be a difficult situation).
I talked to DH about it and MIL and they are totally fine with the whole thing.
We are all going to SILs for dinner, she has a baby who will be 6 months old so I will take care of her while everyone else has their dinner and I will be fine. It is the week after when I go to my mums that will be a struggle as our Christmases have always been over indulgent and I always go bonkers, but DH is totally supportive and will help me through it, and I will talk to my mum and I am sure she will be fine. My eldest sister knows what I am doing and is totally behind me on it.

Back