i dont have the motivation to work out!

misssammi

Hi,

i so want to work out but when the time comes i just cant :break_diet: :cry: i do have quite a lot of weight to lose but just dont have the motivation to actually exercise. what can i do to make myself motivated?

Hi,

i so want to work out but when the time comes i just cant :break_diet: :cry: i do have quite a lot of weight to lose but just dont have the motivation to actually exercise. what can i do to make myself motivated?

Ok, so you want to work out, but you don't have the motivation, can you remember the last time you saw this motivation, maybe if you retrace your steps you can remember where you left it ;)

What is a work out to you ? can you start with one small step and then another and another, (maybe start when your retracing your steps to look for your lost motivation)

Hi missus, I came back cuz I think my post may come across as a bit strong, when in reality all I'm trying to say is that you've got your motivation, you want to do it (thats the motivation) try to look at small steps rather than a great big journey in front of you that you cant get started on, come and let us know how your getting on, minimins is a great site for all types of support :gen126:

Last edited:
Ok, so you want to work out, but you don't have the motivation, can you remember the last time you saw this motivation, maybe if you retrace your steps you can remember where you left it ;)

What is a work out to you ? can you start with one small step and then another and another, (maybe start when your retracing your steps to look for your lost motivation)

Hi missus, I came back cuz I think my post may come across as a bit strong, when in reality all I'm trying to say is that you've got your motivation, you want to do it (thats the motivation) try to look at small steps rather than a great big journey in front of you that you cant get started on, come and let us know how your getting on, minimins is a great site for all types of support :gen126:

hey thank you
no your post isnt strong at all, ur just answering my question which is very kind of you. ill try out your tips thanks and good luck with your journey :)

First up, are you doing an exercise that you actually enjoy and can do? There's no point pushing yourself too hard at first because it's really demotivating.

Secondly, stop thinking about it and just do it. Seriously, if I think about exercise, I can think of ways to get out of it! I talk positively to myself if I'm struggling and say okay I'll just walk down the street and see how I feel after that. You'll never regret exercising. :)

hey thanks for your reply.
i guess your right, i really should stop thinking about it and just do it. i just noticed how the more i think about it the more time i waste.
thanks for your tips and good luck on your journey :)

Hiya,
I was and am still a bit like that !
I found the ONLY way to get myself motivated was to put myself in to a position where I could not back out of exercise.
At my gym if you book a class and then cancel within 48 hours then you are barred from booking anymore for a few weeks!
Also , I found that doing group exercise was much more motivating than trying to d it on my own.
So what if Im the biggest in the class? So what if sometimes I cant keep up? Nevermind, at least Im trying :D Have made some great friends too who know and respect how hard I try...it's all good :D
You just got to go out there and grab life with both hands...shake it a round a little and let it know ... YOU ARE IN CHARGE!! Best of luck in all you do!!! xxxxxxx

It helps a lot if you can get your exercise doing something you enjoy. It takes a lot of motivation for me to do something like an exercise DVD (routine bores me), so don't do it that often, whereas I love dancing and will happily spend over half an hour really getting into it without even thinking about it.

I also like the walks I have with my dogs, and have started staying out a little longer with them each time.

It also helps me if I fit in little bits of exercise here and there. For example, when I'm making a cup of tea I'll have a quick walk around the house (or do some quick star jumps) while I wait for the kettle to boil. I look really daft pacing around like that :eek: but it all adds up.

Perhaps you haven't learned to enjoy the exercise or aren't doing it right?

For example, when I started jogging I found it really exhausting and overbearing, I just couldn't see the fun in it at all and thus began to dread it. When I started going to the gym someone who saw me on the treadmill had the kindness to point out that I was hunching over slightly when I ran. I thanked her and straightened up and... WHOOSH.... THERE was the exhilarating, exciting feeling I had heard so much about. Suddenly I could run for miles, all from straightening my back.

Try to get some advice or tuition on the type of exercise you plan to do (especially cardio), odds are if you aren't enjoying it, you aren't doing it right ;)

hey!
my motivation:
1) i made a calendar, with my free days when i can go to gym. so it's like something i MUST do
2) looked on my old pics, damn- i want to looke like that again
3) after 3 or 4 times at the class i started to like it and i guess that's the biggest motivation.
so- just have fun and fallow the schedule! :)

Little steps...if you still have a lot of weight to lose, firstly getting out and about is hard...try walking, then walking faster and faster still and then longer, then longer and faster...and so on...build on walking then try and do something else if everything else seems too tough, or mountainous...I still dread the step machine and I am pretty fit (it's a killer I tell you but I prefer running up and down proper steps to the machine thing)...

As far as motivation goes, you must have it if you want to do it...put on some walking shoes, or gym shoes and do it as the others say, don't think about or overthink it...small steps however otherwise you might be disheartened before you have given yourself a chance to get going properly...I used to walk and cycle everywhere so I hada foundation of sorts to work on in the gym and with other fitness goals...

GO FOR IT, be brave and try something...

Hey Missy:p

There are many things to make you exercise:
1) Grab a friend for a jog or a gym class. If you have work out buddy, it puts obligation for you to stick to the plan, because if u let the person down, it has more consequences doesn't it? And on the other hand, you can see it's not only you sweating out to loose those pounds so you're not alone there.
2) Got an ipod or mp3? If not, u can buy one for a price of an 16inch pizza in the supermarket. There is this great website Podfitness: Custom Audio Workouts: Home, where you can get a free trial period of a month, choose a hollywood trainer for a workout and put your favourite music as a backgound. You can get a new routine every day, it works for me.
3) Buy a nice outfit just for working out. It's like a new dress for a night out, celebrate it, as it's going to make you slim.
4) Think, there are two ways. Either you will start working out and loose the weight, or you will do nothing about it and stick in this point. Remember time doesn't stop even for a second, you need to move on to make a profit of it. No pain no gain!!!:p
5) I know many people complain about DVDs - they are boring, or stop being challenging after a while. I've got one which doesn't fit the profile. It's Jeanette Jenkins work out DVD. If u only read reviews on amazon, u will make up your mind. This gall has years of experience in the field and is so energetic, funny and motivating, together with thousands of people who successfully lost weight with her workouts (and most on them like you, couldn't give a damn before they started) and her athletic body, she'll make you love working that muscles. Results come quickly, look at my photo;)
Here is the link, I have bought this set of 7 DVDs a year ago for tripple price, have a go:
Amazon.com: Jeanette Jenkins: Tone Up with Jeanette Jenkins: Jeanette Jenkins: Movies & TV
6) Make your own reward system, for example, commit to exercise 3 times a week and get a piece of a favourite cake at the end of the week after sucessful completion of the plan.
7) Some people who have a lot of weight to loose are delaying the exercise, because they'll need to wait for the results for a long time. Well, you can buy L-carnityne to speed up the weight loss:)
7) I know it's hard to start, but once u do it and get the flow of the happy hormones in your blood, you gonna love it:) And physical effort is not just about the weight loss, there are many great side effects on you body like: you will be able to run up the stairs without loosing your breath, have a better movement coordination, be more flexible - these are lil things, but they build your self esteem indeed. To finish with the fact that up to 15 hours after a work out your metabolism burns fat even 10 fold faster than just sticking to the diet. Convincing enough?:p
I hope this helps:p

Hey Miss, I know how you feel, some weeks im fully like Yeaaaaaaaah i can do this.. and then other weeks i feel horrible and think why do i even bother. Its just a matter of finding the right balance for yourself.

I cant say i enjoy jogging yet... lol but i may when i've lost abit more. Just try your hardest that you can and thats fine, becuase at the end of the day you should only worrying about pleasing yourself! So if you do 10 mins walking, thats awesome, dont think.. oh that wasnt long, because slowly build it up :D

Sorry to waffle a wee bit hehe

What's holding you back? Is it finding the right time or is it finding something you want to stick with?

For me, it's four things that make a difference: time, distractions, tricks/treats and location.

Time: If I exercise in the morning, I keep to a routine. If you work out at the same time every day, you'll get chemical prompts to work out that will really help get you out of bed or off the couch. I chose the mornings to work out because I have more control over my schedule in the morning. I might work late, I might meet up with a friend after work, I might want to spend time with my husband and kitten. Mornings, I know exactly where I'll be and what time I can get up.

Location: going cross town to the gym is a no go for me, particularly in cold weather. Rolling out of bed and onto an exercise machine, though, is just perfect. Cheaper, too!

Distractions: I watch the morning news while I work out, or listen to music. Just giving your brain something to chew on while you're working out really helps. If it's the same thing every day, even better for your routine!

Tricks/treats: I found this really lovely massage oil/body treatment from Decleor that's designed to help with cellulite. It smells gorgeous. It also costs crazy money! I work out, I get to use the oil after the shower. If I don't, I haven't "earned" the oil. Sounds a bit crazy, maybe, but it works!

Hope any of this helps! Whatever you do, don't be too hard on yourself for not getting into a routine just yet. If you get too hard on yourself about exercise when you miss it, you won't enjoy it as much when you actually do keep to your routine.

x

Back