I don't want to be thin!!

Jaycey

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
I keep seeing postings from people who say they want to be thin or skinny. Well, I don't! To start with, it wouldn't suit me, and also I don't think that thin = healthy. I want to be shapely rather than thin (I'll leave that to models), and I think it's a pity that curvy shapes are now out of fashion, and young girls these days are going anorexic and wanting to be beanpoles.

During the 1960s, a good figure would be today classified as 'fat' - model agencies class a size 12 as fat! I would LOVE to get down to a size 12, but even a size 14 would be a miracle for me, and I would class that as a really good size for me.

Check out this pic of '60s actress Sylva Koscina - I think she looks gorgeous but these days she probably wouldn't have got that modelling job unless she had a washboard tummy! :sigh:

sylvakoscina.jpg

What do others think?

I would LOVE to get down to a size 12, but even a size 14 would be a miracle for me, and I would class that as a really good size for me.

Ahh but that's the fabulousness of CD - it really does make miracles happen trust me :D

And yes good point, it's like when I see certain clothing catalogues aimed at larger women but their size range starts from 12 upwards - I mean WTF??!!!

Err.. forgive me but what size will you be WHEN you reach your goal? You've got a goal of a healthy BMI..

I am aiming for a healthy BMI but don't have a clue what size or shape I'll be. I'm sure there will be some people that think I'm too thin.. especially those that have known me as a size 18-24 depending on the stage of my life. Fact is, we are doing it for ourselves. I'm fed up not being able to shop everywhere, feeling fat when I go swimming and when I'm in my karate class.
If that leaves me thin when I get to goal.. then thin I'll be. :)

I do agree that the 50's and 60's idea's of curvy women was a great time, but they weren't the only ones around in those days.

I whole heartedly agree! Hear hear! I'd love to get down to a British 14, still curvy. I'd love daft as a size 8 or 10. Even my dr said after losing weight i'd still have womanly hips etc. Therefore aiming to be size 8 is just totally unrealistic. I'm 18 ish at the mo and would love to get down to 14. When I did basic training for the RAF a few years back I got down to a 10 on top and 12 on bottom which was amazing. And anyway, men prefer curves! It's what makes us women afterall.

I figure I will take whatever it is I can get. I've been fat for so long I figure I'll have saggy skin everywhere and won't want to be seen dead in a bathing suit!

I don't think that people mean they want to be a size 0 zero when they say that they can't wait to be skinny. Most of us on here are obease or overweight so skinny to most of us is a size 10-14. And I have to agree with purple hugs I am losing weight to be a healthy BMI not to fit into a certain dress size. Of course I want to lose weight to look better but my main reason is health. My mother died two years ago when I was 20 suddenly from a heart attack caused by obeasity she was only 49. It broke my heart and although I love her I am still angry at her for never doing anything about her weight she was still so young and had so much to live for and I'm angry because I still need her and she will miss things in my life that I wanted to share with her like when I graduate uni or get married or have my first child. So for me being healthy is the most impotant thing and if that means I am a size 8 10 or 12 when I am at a healthy BMI so be it. But I want to change so that I don't die young because of somthing I did to myself not to look aesthetically pleasing to the rest of the world xxxx

Once upon a time I was "thin", I was a curvy size 12...I had a lovely hourglass figure, and I want that back. I know that at around 10 - 11 stone I will be a size 12/14 and that suits me.

My natural bodyshape is curvy hourglass, and as my frame is large, I will never be petite, I don't want to be thin, I never have, but I would like to be content (and curvy) at around 11 stone (10 on an ambitious day!)

xxx

For me the best goal is to be happy being who you really are :)

If that means a size 8,10,12,14,16,18 or anything else then that is all that matters.

Being healthy obviously requires you to be a certain size but whether you want to be slim, skinny, curvy etc is totally up to the individual.

I never wanted to be skinny, I wanted to be happy :)

Mike

Funny you have said that, it is the one thing i always say, i dont want to be thin or skinny, i want to still look like a women with all my curves, not straight up and down like a boy! I am not sure what size that we be, so i am aiming for the top end of my healthy BMI, and i will decide then x

Same! I don't want to lose my curves but I want them to be curves, not bulges! So I'll get to the top of my bmi and see if I have lumps and bulges still.
I think beanpoles are really not sexy as a look. I love to see people exactly like in that picture above: not a beanpole but beautifully shapely.

I am a size 10 but I still have wobbly bits!!! think i will have to be a size 6 for a flat tummy but there is no way I will be doing that!!

I am hoping under all my flab there is a lovely hourglass shape! i can start to see waist definition and curves so fingers crossed. i don't think ''skinny'' would be maintainable for me, a healthy BMI and hopefully a size 12 would be better.

I want to look in the mirror and feel good! Even at my lowest pre-children 9st1lb I was the curvy one so I know that I will always have my curves! but I am only 5ft3 my ideal weight is 121 - 135 lbs I am aiming for 140lb which is 10stone for now, but I do want to get lower, but I am seeing how I feel

I think when a lot of people say they want to be 'thin', they just mean in comparison to what the were pre-diet, and not neccessarily an unrealistic, unachievable and un-maintainable size 0....thats what I mean anyway....:D

Cat Bee x

I dont want to be too thin, I would love to get down to about a size 12 or 14. That would be amazing for me now as I'm a generous 18 and know I need to do something about my weight before I get any bigger!

Having been obese for far too many years I'd just love to be healthy. Whether that means I'll be a size 10, 12 or a 14 I really don't care. In fact I'd rather be a healthy 12-14 and hopefully fit in my skin rather than be an 8-10 and have to bulldog clip my skin behind me!!!!!

II am losing weight to be a healthy BMI not to fit into a certain dress size. Of course I want to lose weight to look better but my main reason is health. My mother died two years ago when I was 20 suddenly from a heart attack caused by obeasity she was only 49. It broke my heart and although I love her I am still angry at her for never doing anything about her weight she was still so young and had so much to live for and I'm angry because I still need her and she will miss things in my life that I wanted to share with her like when I graduate uni or get married or have my first child. So for me being healthy is the most impotant thing and if that means I am a size 8 10 or 12 when I am at a healthy BMI so be it. But I want to change so that I don't die young because of somthing I did to myself not to look aesthetically pleasing to the rest of the world xxxx

aww emmie thats so sad.. makes me really think. both my parents are obese and are not making any effort to lose it. i want to be healthy as at 24 yrs old i can already feel the effects of being VERY overweight.

but if i can also just spur them on to do something about their weight too then i will happy. As losing either of them at a young age, would, as you said, break my heart.

health for me is important. it used to be about fitting into a certain dress size. yes that will be nice, but its not the be all for me. healthy BMI is my top agenda.

but i agree that i would like to keep some curves... but i have far to many at the mo!!

I agree with almost all comments on here, I have said on several occasions that i want to be slim or skinny, however do want to have curves, but skinny or slim for me is a size 12/14. Having started at 20 stone and a size 28 at one time, I recently got into a size 16 jeans and felt so skinny and just wanted to strut my stuff everywhere and was so proud. I know a 16 is still big but everyones idea of what is ideal is different and I think we as a group, have our heads screwed on more, because we have been big and appreciate normal sizes more than these real wafer thin models and celebs.

Interesting topic though and made me think about how we see things differently.

Lisa xx

I want to feel comfortable in my own skin and not panic what i look like. If that means getting down to a 14 then il be very happy with that!

Back