I hate the Slimmer of the Week concept!!

Mamacandoit

I guess I hate it only bc each week I really really hope it'll be me and it never ever is.

I know it's stupid but the prize baskets are A_M_A_Z_I_N_G at our group and I would love just once even to win it!

SOW backfires for me bc I often feel annoyed that I didn't win and probably couldn't win - the winners always seem to have losses of 4lbs +!

rant over

I don't think that losing the most that week is a fair way to allocate the title of SOW.
some people just can't lose the big numbers so possibly by awarding SOW by the percentage of weight loss would be fairer to everyone,although would be a pain in the bum to work out!
There has to be a better way.
it does seem to be the same people that always win it x

I think it's a good boost for people.

It is disappointing when you think you've got it in the bag but then someone loses half a pound more than you.

Lol xx

last time i was at slimming world i remember one week loosing 8 1/2 lbs and still didn't get slimmer of the week and i was the biggest looser that week. i think it that group though she definitely had 'Her ladies' as she used to call them. Annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never won it either as I just seem to be someone who loses slowly. But I can't really say it ever bothered me really, I was just happy I lost.

Also, and I'm not speaking for every group and every individual of course, but after 8 months I found that some of those people who had a few big losses early on were now struggling, because anything smaller in terms of losses then became disappointing and demotivating for them. Whereas I just kept on plodding and losing.

The prize baskets may be amazing, but they only last a week. You are already doing an amazing job hun with your weight loss so far, and that will last you a lot longer than a week :)

As your signature says (which I love by the way), "success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in, day out." You will get there, prize basket or not :)

I once attended a group where there was a very large man. He had a lot to lose and being a man (sorry any men reading, we all know men lose easier than women!!) he had big losses for weeks and weeks on end. No one stood a chance a of SOW. It became a bit of a stand joke!
Personally, I have very rarely won it and tbh, it never really bothered me, I don't need that sort of thing to motivate me, that's not to say I didn't appreciate it on the odd occasion I did win it! It was more about winning a bag of goodies than being the biggest loser if I'm honest!
Having said that, I do agree with others that it should be done on a % basis because people with less to lose will normally lose less than someone with lots to lose and whilst its not a motivator for me, for others it is! I'm really not sure why SW haven't ever thought about doing it like that??

I once attended a group where there was a very large man. He had a lot to lose and being a man (sorry any men reading, we all know men lose easier than women!!) he had big losses for weeks and weeks on end. No one stood a chance a of SOW. It became a bit of a stand joke!
Personally, I have very rarely won it and tbh, it never really bothered me, I don't need that sort of thing to motivate me, that's not to say I didn't appreciate it on the odd occasion I did win it! It was more about winning a bag of goodies than being the biggest loser if I'm honest!
Having said that, I do agree with others that it should be done on a % basis because people with less to lose will normally lose less than someone with lots to lose and whilst its not a motivator for me, for others it is! I'm really not sure why SW haven't ever thought about doing it like that??

Hmm, that sounded a bit bit like me at my class when i was losing. I got just short of thirty slimmers of the week, I won slimmer of the month nine months in a row, missed the next one, and got the one after as well.

It was a running joke, but i havent won any for some time since...

Last edited:
What I hated about the 'image therapy' (hence the reason I am doing this from home,)is the ridiculous concept of getting out the crystal ball and predicting what you would like to aim for losing at next weigh in. Who knows that? All sensible people know that your weight loss fluctuates and is rarely the same every week so what on earth is the point of saying 'well, I lost 2 lbs this week so I'm going to aim for 2.5lbs next week'? Just. plain. Silly. And a colossal waste of time, by the time they've been round the group and asked everybody that, I could have been to the gym for an hour or gone home and marked a class set of English books!
Ok, so maybe I'm missing the point of group support but is the prediction business really necessary?
Sorry, rant over but the slimmer of the week concept really got me started! Ha ha.

What I hated about the 'image therapy' (hence the reason I am doing this from home,)is the ridiculous concept of getting out the crystal ball and predicting what you would like to aim for losing at next weigh in. Who knows that? All sensible people know that your weight loss fluctuates and is rarely the same every week so what on earth is the point of saying 'well, I lost 2 lbs this week so I'm going to aim for 2.5lbs next week'? Just. plain. Silly. And a colossal waste of time, by the time they've been round the group and asked everybody that, I could have been to the gym for an hour or gone home and marked a class set of English books!
Ok, so maybe I'm missing the point of group support but is the prediction business really necessary?
Sorry, rant over but the slimmer of the week concept really got me started! Ha ha.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

As for SOW, in the group I go to, the prize is usually something along the lines of a scabby apple, an ancient mug shot and a kumquat.

I've had SOW/SOM and I just have little losses, my SOW losses were for just 1-2lb and my SOM were only around 5-7lb, but we have quite a small group and lots of target or very-close-to-target members.

One of my little resolutions last year was to be SOW/SOM at least once and I managed about 3 of each, so I was very happy with that. I have to say I don't want the basket of fruit, I just want the stickers! :)

I sort of agree, I like image therapy, but I don't like setting a goal. There must be something in the psychology of it though, otherwise they wouldn't make the consultants ask everyone. I assume it's just if you set yourself a target you're more likely to try to aim for it. x

I don't stay to group as I don't like the Image Therapy! I went to a group once where everyone sat in a circle and she went round each person in turn and announced what they had or gained, I didn't like that at all. My consultant now just picks random people to shout out what they have done and then you discuss in front of everyone what you did right/wrong, what you are going to do next week. It's not for me at all.

I won SOTW once- got some gone off clementines, a box of hifi bars, peppercorns (?!) and a can of tomatos. :sigh: A little depressing!! Ha!

I though it was based on your % loss? And you need to have attended the previous week and had a loss too, there's a bit to calculating it! I'm pretty sure I won my week because it was the week after Xmas and I was one of the very few who arrived the week before :rolleyes:

I'm not one for winning SOW, and I've never won SOM.
I mostly don't win SOW because I spent quite a a few months recently putting weight on rather than losing it (Oops!) but even when I am losing, I never really lose more than 2lbs a week, and like others have said, there are much bigger losers in my group.
Plus even when I did lose, I'd usually put on the week before (because you have to have lost or maintained the previous week to be able to win it) haha :)

I sort of agree, I like image therapy, but I don't like setting a goal. There must be something in the psychology of it though, otherwise they wouldn't make the consultants ask everyone. I assume it's just if you set yourself a target you're more likely to try to aim for it. x

You don't have to set a goal if you don't want to. Just say no. They can't make you!

I went back to group on Monday because I just wasn't doing it on my own - new group, new leader, fresh start. It was a busy group though and it took AGES to go round everyone. The leader was very good in that she did give everyone a fair share of attention and didn't rush past anyone to speed things up, but it really dragged. I think going round everyone is nice in a way, but it only really works in smaller groups.

I wish they wouldn't go round everyone. It takes ages in our group, and I'd rather she did a talk on tips and tricks and a general discussion. i find it repetitive and boring and it stops me going to group tbh x

I wish they wouldn't go round everyone. It takes ages in our group, and I'd rather she did a talk on tips and tricks and a general discussion. i find it repetitive and boring and it stops me going to group tbh x

That's exactly why I don't go to group any more, couldn't have said it better myself! I'd sit there thinking there were so many more things I could be doing with my time!

I dont go to group either - got better things to do with my time than to listen to them going round everyone - I call it the "crappy clappy class" lol

Back