I hate vegetables

Peachdream

I am really struggling with the 1/3 superfree as I really hate vegetables......would it work if I had a fruit salad of superfree foods equal to 1/3 of my plate before my dinner made up of free food?

I do too...but love fried onions and mushrooms tomatoes etc with some garlic..experiment you will fond some you like to bulk out meals...i still wont go near a carrot

I am really struggling with the 1/3 superfree as I really hate vegetables......would it work if I had a fruit salad of superfree foods equal to 1/3 of my plate before my dinner made up of free food?

What is it you hate? If it's texture you can easily change that, if it's taste - maybe you've not tried enough, there must be 1 or 2 you like, even if you haven't tried them yet.
But if you really do hate them, there are things you can try!

Hide them - the same trick we use for kids, cover them with baked beans in a meal, or a low Syn sauce, hide butternut squash and carrots in with your mashed potato - seriously if you use the right ratio you'll never know they're in there except for the colour!

How about salad vegetables? Like spinach etc?
Or you an add fruit to your meals and mix it up a bit!
X

All vegetables? Every single one? There are loads listed in the SW book, and others which are not. I used to hate vegetables until I found out why - my mother used to cook them to death! When I found out how to cook them properly, there was no problem. Even so, I mostly eat them raw in salads.

Your mother and mine could be twins...a streamer is a good cheap buy for veg too

It might work, but I think you should try to ensure that the free foods don't fill more than 2/3 of the plate. Then it will be just as if the superfree was on your plate. The idea is to limit how much free food you have. Filling up on the fruit salad first will help that too but I think the physical proportions are important as well.

The only veg ill eat are carrotts or sweetcorn(not superfree)..now i'm trying lots of different veg but most of the time i wont like them so they stay on my plate uneaten so i'll have to do something until i find a vegetable i like cos im sick to death of carrotts lol

The only veg ill eat are carrotts or sweetcorn(not superfree)..now i'm trying lots of different veg but most of the time i wont like them so they stay on my plate uneaten so i'll have to do something until i find a vegetable i like cos im sick to death of carrotts lol

how are you for fruit? Im sure you can just have some fruit afterwards and its the same. do you like sauces made from chopped tomatoes? or tomatoes added to things like spag bol? how about veg in a cheese sauce or inside a quiche?

Using passata, onions and mushrooms, etc, as a base sauce for things like spag bol/curry/chilli/pizza topping are a great way to get in superfree veg.

You could also make batches of soup with leeks, onions, swede, carrots, etc, and blend so you just see an orang-ie soup, or mix swede and carrots into your mashed potato, or make pasta sauce with passata, garlic, onions, peppers and herbs and blend it until it's smooth and top with cheese.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a problem eating fruit afterwards (or before) to help fill you up, but the superfree is meant to be there to fill 1/3rd of your plate, and limit your intake, so maybe try to be aware of your portion sizes.

I don't really eat fruit so I have the opposite problem, especially with breakfast! x

I've been measuring my plate and being sure to have 1/3 of my plate full of ss fruit before I have my dinner so hopefully that'll work for me

Keep trying with the vegetables. When I first started SW in Nov 2011 I only liked carrots and mushrooms. I really wanted to like veg to make my life easier and to be more healthy so I just kept trying different ones, and retrying them a while later if I still didn't quite like them. After doing SW for a few months my tastes definitely changed. Now, I can't think of a vegetable that I won't eat! Butternut squash was a favourite at first as it's so lovely and sweet when you roast it.

I've found roasting my veg has really helped me, I only ever really liked onions when I first joined SW but now I tend to roast most things and I enjoy them much more! It feels much more like a treat instead of a 'chore' too.

I haven't touched any vegetables throughout my SW journey so far and have lost 2.5st since feb! It has slowed up recently but I haven't been as strict or eating as much SF as I know I should but will get back on it asap!! If I can get this far with no veggies you'll be fine!!! :) Good Luck! xx

I haven't touched any vegetables throughout my SW journey so far and have lost 2.5st since feb! It has slowed up recently but I haven't been as strict or eating as much SF as I know I should but will get back on it asap!! If I can get this far with no veggies you'll be fine!!! :) Good Luck! xx

Do you take any supplements to compensate for the lack of vitamins and minerals?

That's crazy! wish I could have good losses without veg, it never happens for me :( x

I'm not a big fan but things like grated courgette and carrot help to bulk things like chilli and lasagne out and you don't notice them.

Do you take any supplements to compensate for the lack of vitamins and minerals?

When I remember I take a daily womens health vitamin but I haven't eaten veg from when I was about 18months old!! I've seen a dietitian and she said that with what I eat I'm fine to carry on the way I am! Obviously keep trying veggies but I just can't. Have a massive phobia against the taste and texture of alot of things? Basically live on carbs, dairy and fruit!! I'll be 30 this year so for the past 28/29 years I've done okay! Only in the past 5 years I gained all my weight as during y teens and early 20's I was a super skinny size 10?

If you eat a lot of fruit it will compensate I should think. It has fibre in too same as veg, it's just the sugars are higher so peopke tend to regard it with suspicion :) there must be loads of people out there that eat little to no veg. There is nothing to say your superfree has to be veg. Personally I eat a lot of veg and find that's crucial to my losses but we are all different. Clearly it works for you! :)

When I remember I take a daily womens health vitamin but I haven't eaten veg from when I was about 18months old!! I've seen a dietitian and she said that with what I eat I'm fine to carry on the way I am! Obviously keep trying veggies but I just can't. Have a massive phobia against the taste and texture of alot of things? Basically live on carbs, dairy and fruit!! I'll be 30 this year so for the past 28/29 years I've done okay! Only in the past 5 years I gained all my weight as during y teens and early 20's I was a super skinny size 10?

I could have written this post myself!! My parents took me to various professionals as a child because I was the same. The smell, texture and even sound of veg made me gag. I'm 32 now and can just about manage parsnips and swede with the very occasion bit of spinach. People look at me as if I'm totally mad when they question my eating habits and I'm often made to feel really stupid by some people.

It's only in the last 5 years I've started to eat vegetables. I used to have a few peas and carrots on a Sunday lunch but apart from that I couldn't bear the thought of anything else touching my plate. But as I've grown older I'm trying more and more things all the time. There's things I still don't like such as fresh tomatoes and raw onions but since I've joined slimming world I've been really enjoying eating veggies! For me I started off preferring the taste of raw vegetables like peppers, carrots and fresh peas and slowly I began cooking them and enjoying it. Maybe you could try making soups as they don't have a specific vegetable taste and it's also great if you don't like the texture of them too.

Back