i have 1200 calories on mfp

I would advise you to ignore MFP, it tends to give people levels which are much too low, and starting at 1200 would just not be sensible when you've got quite a lot to lose (around 5-6 stone, would you be aiming at?). 1200 is the lowest a woman should go, so if you start at that level you can never reduce it, which you need to be able to do. I'd start out at 1500 at least if I were you. I'm 50 and started out with 10 stone to lose (have lost 6 stone so far), so I set mine at 1800 at the outset and have very gradually reduced it to 1400-1500, which I can't see me going much below. But I'm 5'8" with more to lose than you, so you may want to start off a bit lower than I did.

Good luck! xx

safc said:
Thank you. I thought wasnt many. I will aim at 1500 and work down from there. I have been going over but only by about a100 but i would rather have spare than go over. Thanks again. X

You're welcome, I think that's a good idea. I don't know how MFP works those figures out, but I've always overridden them! You need to eat in a sustainable way so so that can keep at it - I've been doing it for a year now, so fairly slow and steady, but it's been easy to stick to. xx

safc said:
I went on to profile and changed loss to 1lb a week. It reset the calories to 1490. So will leave it there i think and see how goes. Best of luck x

Thanks! You may well find that you drop by more than a pound a week to start with, there are a lot of variables. Keep us updated! xx

Mine is set for 1lb a week & I get 1420, I average more than 1lb a week even though in 3/4 of the way through my journey... I agree though starting at 1200 gives you nowhere to go... Good Luck xx

Could u help me please? I'm 9 and half stone and want to get down to 9 stone. I am 22 years old how many cals Should I have a day?? X

rosierose15 said:
Could u help me please? I'm 9 and half stone and want to get down to 9 stone. I am 22 years old how many cals Should I have a day?? X

I personally would think that, because you have such a small amount to lose, you'd actually be ok on 1200 a day, as you won't be doing it for long and shouldn't have that same need to drop to a lower level when your losses slow down. xx

I would say about 1200-1300 calories a day if you want to lose 2lbs a week and 1400-1500 for 1lb a week.

With you already being slim and not wanting to lose much you should definitely try and exercise quite a bit as it will speed it all up a lot (and of course have all the other benefits of exercising).

I am 42 ... And 5ft ... I need to lose another half stone at least ... I'm around 10 stone ... I use MFP.. And override the cal count as I don't think I could survive in 1200..!! I run 3 miles 3 times a week too ... I have 1350 cals a day ... My weight is static .... I don't know whether I should go up ... Or down with my cals ..!! I'm terrified of going up and putting on weight .... But feel 1200 isn't enough .!!!
IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING :-(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have the mynetdiary app too and that says u should be having 1500 cals per day .!! At least ..!!

I am 42 ... And 5ft ... I need to lose another half stone at least ... I'm around 10 stone ... I use MFP.. And override the cal count as I don't think I could survive in 1200..!! I run 3 miles 3 times a week too ... I have 1350 cals a day ... My weight is static .... I don't know whether I should go up ... Or down with my cals ..!! I'm terrified of going up and putting on weight .... But feel 1200 isn't enough .!!!
IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING :-(

1200 is plenty if you choose the correct food, but if you pick a lot of carbs then you don't get much value calorie wise.

I've done 1200 for about a month now and lost about a stone and not really felt overly hungry. You always get what you've earnt with dieting, the more work you do you quicker it will fall off.

Playcrackthesky said:
1200 is plenty if you choose the correct food, but if you pick a lot of carbs then you don't get much value calorie wise.

I've done 1200 for about a month now and lost about a stone and not really felt overly hungry. You always get what you've earnt with dieting, the more work you do you quicker it will fall off.

I do count my carbs ... Having only 100-150g per day of them .!
Maybe I should try harder :-(

weight loss is in your head...so to speak, if your in the right headspace youll do it, its hard cos its all about changing your habits, and we all love eating nice foods, and you still can, just not all the time. dont think of it as a deprivation, your not depriving yourself, your eating as a thin person does, a naturally thin person, isnt thin by chance, they are thin because they make better choices, they have smaller portions and they are more active. if you want to lose those last few pounds, youll do whats necessary, hunger doesnt grow and grow, it comes in waves and distraction makes it go away, the body can go without food for a long time before you get ill, so having 1200 cals a day isnt going to make you physically ill, its just about your headspace. if thats the amount of cals you need to have to lose weight then accept it and try to find lower calorie foods, but it has to be something you can maintain, perhaps more exercise would be the key for long term success here? this is a lifestyle change and it has to be for life, you cant go back to eating like you were before or eating more than your body needs or youll just regain the weight. if dropping the last 6 pounds is not going to be maintainable long term perhaps call target now, relax a bit and try to aim to increase your exercise

Back