I just want to be healthy and fit - will I be successful

we have a lot of folks here observing ramadan - it's very tough for the diet! Also don't forget your weight does fluctate during the week and doesn't look like you're weighing in for another 2 days so don't panic.

and btw your menu looks yummy!!!

Happy Ramadan x

we have a lot of folks here observing ramadan - it's very tough for the diet! Also don't forget your weight does fluctate during the week and doesn't look like you're weighing in for another 2 days so don't panic.

and btw your menu looks yummy!!!

Happy Ramadan x

thanks Blondcat. I think menu is probably too yummy lol :)

I think what is happening, either I am eating more then I realise or otherwise because of the fact I am fasting my body is storing more food as it knows I won't get any more for another day :D

Im not going to beat myself up too much about it. I need to eat enough to function through the day, and I can't see how I would do that on a 400/500 calorie meal when I won't be eating until 9pm the following evening. I have kind of decided the best course of action would be to keep up with the exercise and just eat as I am doing. If nothing else it will make it easier to readjust once ramadan is over, as I feel for me it will be easier to sort out my food intake then get back into the routine of exercising. I am trying to keep to 30 mins exercise a day - only bike and in 3 sessions but hopefully it will do something.

oops noticed i have missed two days of food diaries on here.

sugar free mojito :D
1 oven baked samosa
1 chapati
SW chicken curry
Half tandoori chicken leg (skinless)
2 table spoonslamb curry

fruit salad

food diary 08.07.14

oven baked chicken spring roll
half sharwarma
1 chapati
SW chicken curry
salad
fruit salad

ok weigh i wasn't great. I have put on 1lb. However considering a few days ago it was 2lb its an improvement. will write more later.

Hi guys,

despite my posting I am not too depressed about my gain. I know if worse comes to worse I will get on track once ramadan is over.

Im now at 15 stone 11lb which is still not 16 stone (thank god!) hopefully I can keep at that at least rather then scooting towards where I don't want to be. I took my measurements yesterday and I had lost 4 inches off my waist in 2 months, something I am really pleased about. Clothes are definately feeling looser and someone I don't see that often commented that I had lost weight :) Always motivating to hear that.

I managed 25 minutes on the bike yesterday. Unfortunately my chest still isn't a 100% so on another 5 days worth of steroids. I have never had to take steroids before in my life, now suddenly taking them twice in the space of two weeks. Eek! As long as I feel better I don't care, fed up of my chest feeling itchy (if that makes sense).

Anyway hopefully wont get another gain this week

I have been doing some research on line and am wondering whether I am eating too little some days due to the fasts (is that even possible)
example is below I am trying to see how many calories I approximately ate yesterday

food diary for 09.07.14

samosa - 130
spring roll - 100
4 potato wedges - 100?
chapati - 60
lamb and vegetable curry (small portion) - 200 calories
0% fat yogurt - 80 calories
home made fruit salad (small portion) - 150
mojito (sugar free seven up + sweetner instead of sugar - 250

ok looking at the above I ate 900/1000 calories, now based on the fact that is all I ate in 24 hours, could it be too few calories (although not the healthiest) On top of that I did 25 minutes on the exercise bike, and 15000 steps on fitbit.

I think I will need to look into it a bit more as not sure. MFP is telling me I had an allowance of 1919 calories yeterday but I don't tend to eat back my exercise calories, so maybe I did not eat enough although the diet looks terrible.

I personally think 900 cals is a little on the low side for 15st 11. For my weight of 10stone (whilst I am still dieting) I think that's fine - others will disagree and say it's too low for me, but I don't have 900 every day - maybe only 2-3 days per week.

If you calculate your BMR (without the harrison benedict formula) it's a base calorie amount of 1805. Mine is 1400 which shows I should definitely be consuming less calories as we both diet. I would never go below 800/900 per day for my size so I would think 1200minimum would be much better for you. Mainly because you're much less likely to fall off the wagon if you allow yourself some more calories. Also the reason you need more calories is to sustain the energy required for the weight each of us are - if you skimp you could end up with no energy!

It's all very personal view when it comes to calories / weightloss. I have around 5 consultant / surgeon friends and they all say that the whole starvation mode (where you don't eat enough and start storing fat) only really applies if you were 100% disciplined every single day of your life, never having a day of naughty food and eating insanely low calories. That's why body builders eat like saints for 6 days a week then have a cheat day to shock their body. But their good days are not like ours!! hahah And even then you would still lose weight just maybe not quite as fast. At the end of the day it's a simple mathematical equation - if you eat fewer calories than your body needs to stay the same you will lose weight - that's a fact!

But this is only my point of view - others will argue that eating 1800-1900 a day is fine - but given the recommended amount for an average adult (including men!) is 2000 that seems a little high for a diet! No offence to anyone intended xx

I personally think 900 cals is a little on the low side for 15st 11. For my weight of 10stone (whilst I am still dieting) I think that's fine - others will disagree and say it's too low for me, but I don't have 900 every day - maybe only 2-3 days per week.

If you calculate your BMR (without the harrison benedict formula) it's a base calorie amount of 1805. Mine is 1400 which shows I should definitely be consuming less calories as we both diet. I would never go below 800/900 per day for my size so I would think 1200minimum would be much better for you. Mainly because you're much less likely to fall off the wagon if you allow yourself some more calories. Also the reason you need more calories is to sustain the energy required for the weight each of us are - if you skimp you could end up with no energy!

It's all very personal view when it comes to calories / weightloss. I have around 5 consultant / surgeon friends and they all say that the whole starvation mode (where you don't eat enough and start storing fat) only really applies if you were 100% disciplined every single day of your life, never having a day of naughty food and eating insanely low calories. That's why body builders eat like saints for 6 days a week then have a cheat day to shock their body. But their good days are not like ours!! hahah And even then you would still lose weight just maybe not quite as fast. At the end of the day it's a simple mathematical equation - if you eat fewer calories than your body needs to stay the same you will lose weight - that's a fact!

But this is only my point of view - others will argue that eating 1800-1900 a day is fine - but given the recommended amount for an average adult (including men!) is 2000 that seems a little high for a diet! No offence to anyone intended xx

Thanks so much for that Blondcat! Very interesting to read. At times MFP has stated 2000 calories but I never use that amount, that doesn't sound right even if taking into account exercise calories.

I don't think MFP calculates the exercise calories correctly so that makes me not want to eat the calories I save through exercising, I need to get a HRM but I don't want to spend money on one unless I have proven to myself I will keep to this new lifestyle otherwise its a waste of money.

I am going by 1200 calories a day in theory, but I think in Ramadan because I feel like I have eaten soo much I struggle to eat my full allowance.

I will try to stick to 1200 and see what happens. I guess its true if I eat less then I should loose weight but will see how it goes.

Thanks so much for your explanation makes me feel alot better :)

you could try for 1200 a couple of days then a more realistic 1600-1700 the other days. There will always be the odd day where you can be super good. Then watch the weight fall off :)
The fact your exercising I think is a game changer - that's how I think you can get to target and be fit forever.
We'll get there x

hello guys,

Ive fallen off the wagon a bit so I think im going to avoid weighing myself this week lol. I haven't done any exercise since Friday and TOTM so not fasting as a result have been eating badly. I think my bad cough, and TOTM and everything just got a bit too much. But never mind. I have probably put on a couple of lbs!

Anyway plan is to start again today. Will do some bike later on and try and eat something low calorie ish.

speak soon x

Hope you managed to stay on plan today hun. Forget the last few days, continue forward an you'll see a loss. :scale:

Hi Believer, hope all is well with you, no updates for a while x

I'm back

Hi Denise, just kind of lost my mojo I guess.

I kind of fell off the wagon big time. Just lost interest and motivation, no idea why I was doing do well. Didn't help that due to steroids for my chest ended up having a two week period(eek) then on top of that another weeks worth of antibiotics.

I have put on weight. Not sure how much too scared to check. But I want to get back on track so thinking of starting from today.

Also had problems with my OH a few months back and can't stop thinking about it all.

Anyway have hopefully started back today

For breakfast had 0% fat yogurt with mango,apricot and peach. Hopefully that was healthy.

Hi

First proper day today I think.

I had 30 minutes on the exercise bike. Also managed a 3 mile walk! Quite pleased with myself.

Breakfast was couscous, yogurt and frozen fruits.

Lunch sliming world quiche and SW chips

Dinner mince. Tandoori nan. Small portion

My legs are so sore!

How u getting on?x

Hi sweet pink,

I've kind of become lazy. Last few days have got back on track almost eating and exercise wise but still don't seem to have a proper routine going.

I've managed to do 40 mins on exercise bike and do 10000 steps.

But I'm feeling hungry all the time which isn't good. Not sure why.

I'm starving at this moment - thinking of having salad with some quorn style chicken pieces but I've already had dinner :(

In the time I have been off I have put on 4 lb. which isn't bad but it isn't great either.

Oh well

Hi,

I am back exercising etc recently so hopefully will be back on full speed soon.

I am not sure I should be posting this on here but I am after a bit of advice. I am not the most confident person in the world, as probably most people on here aren't. Something happened recently that hit me for six. And I am still struggling with it.

My OH I found out by accident had been getting close to someone online, someone in the family. Maybe he wouldn't have fessed up if I hadn't caught on I don't know. The thing is this thing is someone from the family. He has stopped all contact and is making more of an effort. And I have told this woman exactly what I think of her. He had told me nothing happened but all thought he is probably telling the truth I can't really know for sure can I? If it came out it would cause massive problems within the extended family. So no one knows.
Sometimes I feel like I don't want to stay but maybe I am being stupid. How do I trust him again? This is really totally unlike him that's why I feel maybe it was a one off. He's mum died last year, and 6 weeks earlier no one would have guessed she was ill. And it did hit him for six, he's sister fell ill soon after and I don't think he grieved properly.
How do I get past this, I really don't know.

Sorry for the long essay

Oh Believer you poor thing....just catching up with your updates as ive only been on here for quick updates. Firstly glad your back as this is the one thing that is for you and you alone x secondly you have to work with your husband to re build the damage (just my opinion) you feel. Maybe sit with him and have the conversation of what's gone wrong that Caused him to turn to someone other than you. Your right you will never truely know but you have to trust him but he has to be open and honest and he needs to know this. You will both need to put in 100% and make sure he knows that you are a strong beautiful woman who will not be disrespected again. Here for you anytime hun xx

Ps...that 4lb will soon be gone x

Thanks Denise x

i have been slack on my updating my diary here but haven't been doing too bad eating/exercise wise.

I have aves started walking for 2 miles a day (attempting a brisk walk lol) and also do 50 minutes on the exercise bike. I am enjoying it. I need some decent trainers through, currently I wear sandals. Quite tempted by the skechers go walk shoes. But will see.

Food wise I am doing ok, I don't think I am eating enough some days though. As a result my weight hasn't really gone down. But then again it is TOTM so maybe that explains why my weight hasn't really decreased. I am not officially recording my weight loss yet as want to be back at the weight I was before I went off the wagon. Let's see how long that takes.

Back