I need help. And hugs.

Interesting. My current BMR is around 2100 (at 21st), and at my goal weight (11st) it's 1484.

Remember though, your BMR isn't the amount of calories you need for normal living. You'll need more than that.

The BMR is just what you need for lying in bed doing nuttink...not even drinking or going to the loo.

About 20% of your calories are used in activity...just bumming around ;)

Then you burn more digesting food. Think it's about 10%.

Other calculators work it out for you, but make sure it isn't just a BMR calculator.

Another thing to bear in mind is that they do vary a lot, and it'll take a bit of experimenting. Oh, and also you often have to enter your activity levels for it to calculate, and one persons idea of being 'moderately active' can be completely different to the next persons.

I think WLR used to say if you were pottering around, car to shop, a little hoovering and dusting etc you were 'moderately sedentary'.

I have been using a web planner/tracker. Its US based, so have to convert a fair amount but it is free and tracks everything. However, I really scrutinesed the targets it set - and I think it set my carbs too high!!! DOH!!! So I suddenly feel like I have done this ALL wrong!!! lol

When you get back to normal calories etc, most normal targets are 55/15/30 (carbs, protein, fat)....unless you wanted to stay low carb or something.

You may find that LL starts off with a lower % of carbs, moving up to 'normal' level by the end to save the sudden gain of glycogen. Not familiar with the LL plan, so can't comment here...but 55/15/30 is a good one to aim for.

I was very cavalier, admittedly, about wanting to do this by "instinct" - which I DO NOT RECCOMEND anyone....not yet. I just do not want to live a life measuring and weighing everything, so tried to get off to a more natural start. That will have to come later, if ever.

Totally agree with you there. I measured and weighed for about 6-9 months after the cambridge refeed. It was to do with education as much as anything, so that I knew exactly how much I needed, what foods show a sudden gain, and whether that sudden gain stabalised or disappeared.

I like analogies, so I'll use one here. Imagine if you lost your legs in a accident. You would go into hospital until you were as well as possible, then you would have physio/rehabilitation within the hospital. I imagine the refeed to be like the rehabilitation/physio. Then, when you feel confident, they send you home.

Once you are home and going it alone, there is still a whole load to learn. How can you use 'your' bath that doesn't have handles. How do you cope with opening 'your' door, or doing 'your' garden.

You wouldn't have your legs removed and suddenly expect to know how to manage at home without help right from the start.

You'll make mistakes, and you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Sometimes you'll make the same mistake over and over again because you'll forget that you need to work a better way...or because you aren't in the mood to think about it.

Working on instinct at this stage is dodgy for the majority of us. We have little experience to base it all on. Guidelines are vital.

But obviously, once we've got used to having no legs, and learnt the best way to get around, there's no need to look at the book any more. You'll find you'll adapt and find a way that suits you.

Oh and BTW, with reference to my 'bread makes me put on weight' quote, it did settle down, and I eat bread now...too much at the moment as I have developed an addiction to seeded toast with peanut butter :D Had to work on moderating it.

Gosh, thanks everyone for your comments, and feedback, encouragement and involvement in this thread - I am learning a lot reading all of thes posts.

KD - thanks SO much - I can always count on you for the voice of reason. You've put my mind to rest - the ratios you mentioned are exactly what this tracker reccomends and is what I have been doing. BUT - I do think it might by a bit on the high carb side just now? I have only been using it the last week or two - and I am two weeks from the end of RTM/refeed - so hopefully I won't have done too much damage.

I liek your analaogy too. And was realising after a good heart to heart with a friend at work - this is all so NEW to me/us....learning to eat healthy - and my body has changed so much - I now notice every little thing I feel, etc., and have just been feeling "heavy" which scared me.

I took my measurements last night, and they are only up 1/4 inch all around, so no worry there - could be the jumper and jeans. Certainly not enough to cry about. Yet. BUt I just want to be so sure I am on the right track...and with it creeping each week - its scaring me.

Maybe it is Glycogen? Do you know how long that process generally takes? And how much on average that can be in pounds?

Maybe I am doing OK. But I just "feel" heavy now - so I am not convinced. My jeans feel snugger then they did when I hit goal - and that bothers me.

Ugh. I swore I was not going to get obsessed by all of this. I am going to try and relax, and see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

I am horrible at knowing/understanding and retaining nutritional information, and it drives me crazy - I just get SO confused all the time!

Again - I want to read all the posts again. I've had a lot of committments the last few days, so have not been able to jump in or reply until now....so going to go over it all again.

THanks so much!!

X

Remember though, your BMR isn't the amount of calories you need for normal living. You'll need more than that.

Thanks for your concern, KD. I do know that BMR is just me with no bells on.

My exercise levels are increasing - I have a plan! At my heaviest (26st) I just walked. At 20st I'm going to walk and swim. At 15st I'm going to walk, swim and play badminton, and at goal I'm going to walk, swim, play badminton and horse ride!

I'll need lots of good calories to fuel all that!

Thanks BL

Sorry,
Have been so busy last few days, no time to get on here.
Thanks for the reply.Hope things are looking up for you now.
Am really needing the class tomorrow.
The voices in my head are conflicting all the time.
I have understood a lot about myself from the temptations during the past week,
and how easy it would be to slip back into old habits -so scary,
I don't envy you having to deak with the food. I realise I've been finding excuses for putting off starting RTM.
So glad you asked KD for advice. Superb as always.
Going to have an early night.
TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY !

:devilangel::nightf:

Hiya, I'm back out of lurkdom for this!

Does LL do the stages of competence?

1, Unconcious incompetence - you don't know what to do, but you don't know you don't know. You might've never got in a car before for example, so you have no idea how easy/difficult it is to learn. Blissful ignorance!

2, conscious incompetence. Your first driving lesson, the moment you say 'oh my god I know nothing - I can't do this!'.

3, conscious competence. You know how to do it, but you have to think about it. You have to remind yourself to check in the mirrors, you need to look down at the gears, or in the case of food, count calories or weigh portion sizes.

4, unconscious competence. It's second nature now. You can have a conversation while driving, you can get somewhere and have no idea how you did it because you were on autopilot. With food, it would be recognising hunger and knowing how much you need to eat to satisfy that hunger.

In RTM (and for some time afterwards) you are in stage 3. It's ok to weigh things, to worry, to question yourself, to eat past the point of being full sometimes (over estimate hunger) to still be hungry after a meal (under estimate it) and to have to think 'oh what am I going to make?'.

Before long you'll find yourself saying 'oh I'm hungry for a salad' and have made yourself a salad without much thought. You'll be able to recognise when a feeling of emptiness is not hunger, but an emotional need, and will be able to meet that without food. You'll be doing more and more 'autopilot' behaviour until you are successfully managing your weight without obsessing about it. You'll probably always have to think about it, we all will, but those thoughts will be 'oops I slipped up a bit there, best hold back for a few days!' rather than 'oh my god I went wrong, I'm going to be obese again - I've wasted all my time and effort - none of my clothes will fit, I'm a failure, I'm destined to be fat' or any other destructive thoughts that take you out of your adult state.

This is me talking from experience by the way :rolleyes: - which I wont go into on your thread :eek:

THanks for that TG - and bloody good to see you again stranger!! :D

How are you? Have often wondered how you were getting on.

I actually was reading about the compentancy stages in my book again just last night.

Definately food for thought. I seem to have somehow gone from perhaps not thinking ENOUGH about RTM, to thinking too MUCH??

But at least I am consciously aware and realy trying to "get it".

I feel I am doing well - I have piced at a few things here and there - but nothing off the lists really aside from one or two somewhat naughty nibbles - (1 mini celebration, and a savoury egg) And too many lattes on holiday - but other then that I am doing as I should - but just feel I am doing it wrong. Doubting myself.

I even noticed I went to bed worrying about my weight. I have not done that since January - and I did not like that feeling at all. I need to get my head sorted - time for some refocusing me thinks.

THanks TG - don't be such a stranger! :)

xx

Right - I have just pulled up the summary of a weekly report of my food intake on SparkPeople.com, which is what I have been using.

I was relieved when KD confirmed the reccomended abouts of 55/15/30 (Carbs/Protein/Fats), as thats what this program uses too....though I still wonder if thats too high in carbs for my position?

ANyway - here are what the program has worked out as its reccomendations for me, and in parentheses, my average for the week:

Calories: 1500 - 1850 (My weekly average: 1301)
Fat : 39-68 ( 31.5)
Carbs : 197-284 ( 165 )
Protein : 60-153 ( 91.8)

So - what can anyone make of this? I can see I am averaging high on protein, but low in all others. I wouldn't think this would make me gain these weekly pound?

Is it possible I am not getting enough calories? I don't know how I could get more - I am eating quite satisfactorily?? And while it shows its on the light side - I always feel quite heavy and full by the end of the day? This is what is confusing me.

WOuld be interested in any feedback from you nutrition gurus.

:)

Thanks

x

Thank you for that LS. I think I understand - your calculations show what percentage of my calories came from protein, carbs and fats, right?

I think you are right too - maybe I am just really not getting used to it. As much as I enjoy most of it, I preferred the feeling in abstainance if I am honest.

I'd like to say I wll just relax and go with the flo, but I am afriad where that would lead me.....and for the life of me I do not know what has brought this panic on all at once! I guess being 2 weeks from the finish line is scaring me and making me doubt myself.

But - I'd rather be conscious about what I don;t know, then unconscious about what I do. If that makes any sense.

I'll get it. Its just not my strong suit - there is so much to remember about food!!! Who knew!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks hon.

xx

Well, it was a great meeting tonight. A lot of things were discussed.

I'll get the good stuff out of the way first. I lost 3 pounds this week!! :bliss:

ANd I am now exactly the same weight as when I started RTM! So - very chuffed (and relieved) with that!!! :)

My LLC was great - and I was just dealing with some crooked thinking. (Gee - do you think? ;)) She put my mind to ease, and went over what an average day was like for me, foodwise, and she said I can easily up the amount of salads and veg I am having, and that I am doing it right. PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don;t know what happened to me last week. To be honest - I really soared through Abstainance - and rarely, if at all, had to deal with ANY crooked thinking. I will never understand why it was so easy for me....a blessing....but I will never understand that, knowing ME as I did! lol - ANyway - I digress...

But this was the first real round of crooked thinking that has hit me so i think it caught me out. I didn't see it coming.

Thank you all, for your help through this. I am going to calm down now, and continue digging in my groove.

I am just going to keep fully conscious, as this week was an interesting learning experience. And something just tells me there will be more to come... ;)

Thanks everyone - I am feeling so happy now - back where I started, and you helped me a lot. Mucho appreciated! :D

XX

Oh - another thing she said, which reinforced how I wanted to do this, and that was to not really pay attention to calories to the nth degree - as if wise choices are being made, one shouldn't really get into trouble. So that is my goal - but will back off a little, and keep on keeping on.

I'm getting it!! :)

Congratulations BL

Well done on your weight loss this week.
I am so glad it was crooked thinking and not crooked eating.
You ARE on track. Keep it up girl.
Have a great week xx:kitty::angel:

BL - your new photo comparison on your signature is incredible. How tiny is your waist lady!? You look fabulous!!

B x

BL just wanted to say that when I first joined this site, your photos were my inspiration and I felt really motivated, I really hope that you get the RTM sorted out and I'm sure a strong woman like you will xx

Thanks Lillypop. :) I got through that - and I woke today feeling BRILLIANT again. Confident, happy, successful and focused, while maintaining just enough nervousness to keep my alert! ;)

Thanks very much - I realised - I felt just like this about 2 weeks into RTM - and figured it was because it was so new. Now, 2 weeks away from completion, I think I just got a bit fearful of the end.

So it was a great learning experience, going through that. I certainly recognised ALL the ego states through the week, and fell victim to them once or twice, and beat them once or twice. It was worth it - and I am back where I started weightwise, which thrills me!!

SO thanks hon!!! :)
xx

Back