I need some help/advice/suggestion

Nina41

All my life I was always a little bit chubby. On my fist pregnancy 7 years ago I put on 30kgs and started ww as soon as my son was born. To my surprise, I lost 1kg a month no matter what. I was breastfeeding, I started jogging, I counted points EVERY day (holidays, weekends, anniversaries etc) but only 2pounds a week came off. After two years I went from 86kg to 62 kg when I got pregnant again 4 years ago. This time I put on 14kgs and in 18months I was back to 62kg.

That's when my nightmare began. For over two years I've been trying to get to 58kgs. I was faithful to ww but no matter what my weight fluctuated arond 62/64kgs. I persisted until this Easter when I follow the ww diet rigorously and didn't loose a thing.

I then tried sw for 3 months. Lost 3pounds and got stuck.

When I heard about dukan I thought, this diet is different and people do loose so I should give it a try.

I did 7 days on attack and lost 2pounds. Today I finish my first week on cruise and lost 1 pounds.

My question is: what is the advantage? Why am I loosing so little? Do u think I will keep on loosing? I am SO scared this will also end up in nothing. This whole week I was 61.8kg and today, fist time since I started dukan, the scales went up and I weight 62kgs. I was so scared of weighting myself that this morning I didn't want to get up.

Does anyone here know what is like to follow a diet to the letter and not loose? Is anyone loosing a lot more now then any other diet?

Honestly, so far I haven't seen any advantage in dukan at all. Why is this diet better then the others?

Sorry for the long post and thank you if you bothered to read it all!

I am 1.63m

Started dukan 63.5
Week 1 : -1kg 62.5
Week 2: -0.5. 62kg

For me, it is better because I don't have to eat in small quantities or count everything I eat.. If I could do that I wouldn't be overweight in the first place!
This is a whole new approach for me, before I lost weight but bounced back up as soon as I was done..
I know you don't want to hear this, but have you considered your comfortable weight is 62?
Anyway, you aren't comfortable in this weight so I would suggest you to keep going..
Are you suffering on the diet? If not, just trust the plan and go with it, I am sure you will lose eventually..
First week of cruise, I lost one pound only and your current weight is less than my goal weight.. The next week I lost 3 and it averages between 0.5 to 1 kg every week since then..
Still there are weeks I don't lose even 100 grams but I am not blaming the plan.. I eat little on PP days and that is slowing my loss I think..
Obviously the diet is working, losing slowly is not a bad thing at all.. You are still at the very beginning, give it another week and let's see what will happen:)

Just a thought but have you had your thyroid checked? It is very hard (although not impossible) to loose weight if your thyroid is not balanced. For years my weight crept up despite me not eating even close to the calories required for my weight and height and then 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Once it was properly medicated earlier this year I was able to loose weight and as easily as most other people whereas before I was on about 800 calories and loosing maybe 2lbs a month.

Just a thought.

Poppy, had that done twice. The gps say my thyroid is ok.

Elida, I am suffering cause I miss fruit like mad but I will keep it up for as long as I am loosing.

Have you had it recently? Drs often say it is ok but all that means is that it falls within the normal bands BUT that does not mean it is ok! I have had so many problems with mine as I reacted badly to the only medication they prescribe I now am an expert. I hope it is not your thyroid but your metabolism could be struggling as unfortunately, we women, have wonderful hormones that wreek havoc on our bodies!!

Does anyone here know what is like to follow a diet to the letter and not loose? Is anyone loosing a lot more now then any other diet?

Erm....but you ARE losing!

Sorry, I've got to say this but you simply strike me as impatient. You have very little weight to lose and you're already in the healthy BMI range.

As has been said before, you can normally expect to lose 1-2lbs a week and by your own statements you've been doing this 2 weeks and have lost 3lbs the first week and 1lb the second. That's bang on what you can expect so why are you saying that you're not losing when you demonstrably are???

If you're looking to achieve the big losses other people reporting in short times I have to tell you - forget it, because you'll continue to be disappointed. People who lose a lot week after week generally have a lot to lose in the first place.

My advice is to keep going and stop obsessing about it. If you don't lose anything for a week or two *then* worry...but as it stands you ARE losing and you WILL get there if you just be patient.

The diet is working in just the way it supposed to, steadily, safely, sustianably - an average of 2lbs loss a week is a good Dukan result.

I was on ww for a year and struggled to lose more than a few lbs that would just return a month later - so I know how scared you might be that this will be the same.

But on Dukan I lost an average of 2lbs a week, every week, until I reached the weight I had chosen and exactly to the predicted schedule. In the 4-5 months since I haven't regained any of it.

So - try not to panic - and let the diet do its work.

You are right pudding. Thank you.

That sentence you quoted was me talking about other diets. I dieted for 2 years and did not loose. I am scared this will happen again. I have lost 3lb so far, just a bit disappointed, that's all.

But you are right, I am obsessed. Sorry.

Thank you Atropos! I am glad to hear someone else had the same experience with ww.

I'm ok loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week as long as I loose something!

Pudding, don't hate me just because I have little to loose! My body is at a healthy bmi but my mind will always be fat! I will always carry the scars of being bullied because of my weight as a child and I will always suffer for not being able to eat whatever I want.

Doesn't matter how much someone has to loose, if we are both here is because we have similar issues!

Pudding, don't hate me just because I have little to loose! My body is at a healthy bmi but my mind will always be fat! I will always carry the scars of being bullied because of my weight as a child and I will always suffer for not being able to eat whatever I want.

Alessandra - why on earth would you think I hate you?

I'd add that most people who have been overweight all their lives, including me, were bullied at school. But you know, you can only be a victim for as long as you allow yourself to be and at some point you have to get over it and move on. As for 'suffering' because you can't eat whatever you want....why do you think anyone is here? Because we thought we could eat exactly what we wanted and we were wrong. Half the battle of being on a diet is having a positive attitude and focusing on the good that slimming down and eating differently will bring. When I've failed dieting (and by 'failed', I mean lost weight and then put it all back on again...and more) it's because I didn't change my mindset and focused on what I was deprived of rather than the positive things I'd gained. IMO mindset is just as important in a diet as what you put in your mouth is.

I'm afraid I'm not the fluffy, huggy sort Alessandra, and I tend to give my opinions straight and go for the 'tough love' approach. The fact is that you ARE doing well, you just need to stop wallowing and recognise that you're doing well, and keep doing what you're doing...and I mean that with the best possible intentions.

Thank you pudding. I decided to follow your advice and try not too worry too much. I will try (try...) not to weigh myself everyday and see what happens.

Alessandra, may I just ask, you said above that you will always "feel fat" because of your experience of bullying (and I know exactly how that feels!);

Do you believe this will stop when you reach the goal you have set yourself? Will you be able to move onto conso at that point?

Atropos, a very very good point indeed..
I will struggle with this too when time comes I guess, I still feel big, just not as big as I was before.. I don't think I will ever say ' yes this is the weight I am happy with'... so I will follow Bibaloo's approach and when I stall for a long time, I will take it as a sign and move to conso..

IMO 'feeling fat' because you were bullied really has little to do with weight and won't simply vanish like the mists the moment you reach a healthy weight. Bullying is about control and it'll happen whether you're fat, ginger, wear glasses, are too clever/too stupid, too rich/too poor etc etc. Bullies are like hyenas, they're simply spotting the weak ones in the herd to nip at. The key to getting over it is to get control back - over your fears and feelings.

I have to admit that I don't 'feel fat' because I was bullied at school (I feel fat because I AM fat)...but that's because the worm turned whilst still at school and at 15, after 10 years of bullying, I snapped and broke the nose of the ringleader and threatened to kill him if he ever crossed my path again (I meant it at the time...and he obviously believed I meant it because I didn't have any problems after that). Last year I moved back to my childhood town and saw the ring-leader again...in fact he often drives the taxi that takes me to the train station when I'm going away on business. It's amazing how small he looks now...small and insignificant ;)

Ultimately the real 'you' is not the bag of skin you inhabit, no matter what size it is, it's the person you are inside. There's a book called 'Fat is a feminist issue' by Susie Orbach that argues (very well) that fat is simply a shield against the world, something to hide behind and take comfort in. There's a certain amount of truth in that because whilst the fat is there we can point the blame at it for all our perceived problems...getting rid of it is actually quite scary because it's then that we're confronted with the truth that the fat wasn't the problem, what was in our heads was the problem and it's still there.

Statistically around 95% of diets ultimately fail, with the dieter regaining all the lost weight before 5 years are out. Why would that be? Because the mindset hasn't changed. Unfortunately I don't have the magic answer on how to change mindset (if I did, I wouldn't be here in the first place) but I do think it's as important - if not more important - to solve as the question of how much fat we carry around with ourselves.

IMO 'feeling fat' because you were bullied really has little to do with weight and won't simply vanish like the mists the moment you reach a healthy weight. Bullying is about control and it'll happen whether you're fat, ginger, wear glasses, are too clever/too stupid, too rich/too poor etc etc. Bullies are like hyenas, they're simply spotting the weak ones in the herd to nip at. The key to getting over it is to get control back - over your fears and feelings.

All too true, Pudding; I was called "Lard-arse" and "Fat-arse" at school, and with hindsight I can see this had nothing to do with my weight because my BMI at that time was 16.5 - dangerously underweight.

The Bullies simply discovered the issue that would cause me most distress, regardless of reality, because that is all they want to do - cast their own internal terror out of themselves and into their victim.The tragedy is that those voices, which have nothing to do with your reality and everything to do with the bullies', lodge like shrapnel in our skins, and stay, burrowing their way into us, for decades, until they sound like our own voices; not "You are fat/stupid/ugly" but "I am fat/stupid/ugly"

One of the wonderful thing the Dukan diet did for me was create a breathing space, where hunger retreated, and I felt in control of my body for the first time in decades. I started to hear those stupid things again - not just the bullies' lies, but the cruelty disguised as kindness in phrases like "You deserve a treat", "A girl needs to let her hair down and relax", tempting me to buy chocolate, or go to drink at parties

They haven't gone away - there is just a few seconds more distance now between hearing the voice and reacting to it. Just enough to know they aren't real

Then I wander off and enjoy some greek yogurt with lime.

Atropos, honestly??? No, I dont think so.

Back