I need to do this - primal eating & heavy lifting.

porkscratching

Silver Member
I've been assing about since Xmas with my diet - pushing myself past the point were I start gaining, get back on track then give it all up again & feel like I've failed spectacularly.
If I'd spent the same amount of time I've spent sitting on my ass reading about diets actually doing some basic food prep, exercise and playing I wouldn't still be overweight. I've bought the primal blueprint, I've bought the Well Fed cookbook - they are awesome, what they say is pretty much how I feel about food, exercise, life etc - I just have to put it into bloody practise consistently and pish to whatever anyone else is doing.
Full bloodied paleo isn't for me - there will be the odd indulgence, plus some cream and butter - as I'm cooking for the kids as well & we are going to eat pretty much the same. The odd Sunday I'll have a pancake with rice flour or similar and not beat myself up about it. There'll be alcohol at times (if I stick to vodka it's almost a potato refeed ;))
Even if I don't loose weight at first, I wont panic. Going to measure and weigh tomorrow then check again April 1st - seems an apt day to choose.
Kettlebells 3 times per week for half an hour. Swim twice a week for an hour. Walk with kids twice a week. Sunday jog.
I really want to push myself with the kettlebells & see some improvement.

Today - Meal 1 - 2 bacon, mushrooms, black pudding, tomato, 1 sausage. Meal 2 - banana and tea. Meal 3 - turkey and loads of veg stew.
3 tea (1 with semi skim milk) and water. Small glass red wine.
Omega 3.6,9 supplement & magnesium citrate. Strepsils and cough syrup for cold.
Kettlebells - 10kg for swings, squats, halo, circles and arm posts - 8kg for arm reaches and a new arm move but weight too heavy for that.

Hiya,
Keep trying to reply but minimins is going strange on my Iphone.
How old are your kiddies, i'm struggling to get 2 year old to eat anything new.
What rountine do you do with Kettlebells? I do kettleworx but need to push myself and start uping my weights as still on 8kg and drop to 5kg for arm work
xx

Hi - my two are 6 and just 4.
I am lucky in that they have had all sorts of veg and eat most of it - some days they can refuse something but eat it another day and one doesn't like carrots and one doesn't like mushrooms.
I do give them potatoes and pasta but they now have sort of half portions - I do pasta with courgette juliennes to bulk it out and if I do chips they are homemade in the actifry and I'll do sweet potato and parsnip as well as potato. We also have a lot of stews, veggie and tomato pasta sauces, chunky soups, shepherd's pie is a great one mine is more than half veg and top with potato/cauliflower mashed together or mashed celeriac - a great way to use up less than perfect looking veg. I serve dinner up and expect them to eat it ;-) if they don't then it goes in the bin & they wait until the next meal - no coaxing and bribing - although my eldest will help herself if not watched. My youngest eats peppers like apples & peas straight from the freezer - I have to hide them! Or if not doing hot veg I'll put a plate of sliced peppers,apple, grated carrot, cucumber, baby toms, lettuce and spring onions on the table - they help themselves to what they like best, often do this with something like chicken chunks and cut back on the potato carbs.
Breakfasts are my problem with them - neither will eat porridge or eggs.
I joined the local leisure centre and they are doing free kettlebells classes for members so just doing those at the moment - try and fit 3 30 min classes in but should get a routine for home as well but only have a 5kg weight for home and a kettlercise for women dvd but not really tried it. How do find Kettleworx is that split into cardio, resistance etc or is it one workout?

Eats today ....
Meal 1 - fresh fruit salad and tea with semi skim.
Hour aqua aerobics - half a banana - half an hour kettlebells.
Meal 2 - Turkey and Vegetable tomato stew with cinnamon and fresh pea shoots. (Cinnamon to help regulate carb release)
Meal 3 - Plan is homemade beef meatballs with sunshine sauce from Well Fed, green salad and tomatoes.

I was looking at the naked bars and decided to gather up the nuts, dates and coconut I have about and try make my own with some cinnamon and ginger - wonder if could put grated carrot or apple in as well?

may pics 1210.jpgmay pics 1213.jpg

Dinner took a detour when the DD wanted to make burgers and realised had no almond butter for sunshine sauce. So ended up with homemade beef and red pepper burger with a relish, zoodles and cauliflower - kids had some homemade chunky chips as well & I had 2 of them.
This evening had 2 squares 75% choc and peppermint tea & the leftover bits of the date bars. yum.
TOM so not weighing. No food bloat though which is good but my gym knickers seemed a bit more snug - which was odd. Unless I shrunk them :eek: - although starting to think I'll never get out of the 11's.
Tried to make a bar type thing with dates, cranberries, walnuts and brazil nuts with some cinnamon and coconut oil - seemed a bit dry so added a grated carrot ... got too mushy ... so added coconut flour. It is too squishy still but tastes like Christmas cake (which I love) - so have portioned it into squares and frozen them, so can throw them in my bag for mid morning munchies after swimming or KB's.

Dinner took a detour when the DD wanted to make burgers and realised had no almond butter for sunshine sauce. So ended up with homemade beef and red pepper burger with a relish, zoodles and cauliflower - kids had some homemade chunky chips as well & I had 2 of them.
This evening had 2 squares 75% choc and peppermint tea & the leftover bits of the date bars. yum.
TOM so not weighing. No food bloat though which is good but my gym knickers seemed a bit more snug - which was odd. Unless I shrunk them :eek: - although starting to think I'll never get out of the 11's.
Tried to make a bar type thing with dates, cranberries, walnuts and brazil nuts with some cinnamon and coconut oil - seemed a bit dry so added a grated carrot ... got too mushy ... so added coconut flour. It is too squishy still but tastes like Christmas cake (which I love) - so have portioned it into squares and frozen them, so can throw them in my bag for mid morning munchies after swimming or KB's.

How strange I've been thinking about some bars, got some nakd bars for hols and wondered how to make... Might have to try x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi D - found these recipes for bars like Nak'd and Lara Bars , might be more successful than my throw it in the processor and hope approach.
Everyday Paleo Fruit N' Nut Bars | Everyday Paleo
I think I should have cooked mine as I'd put the carrot and coconut flour in, it probably wasn't far off a fruit loaf - all it needed was some bicarb or baking powder. Or I should have just squished it all into a tin before adding the carrot - the coconut oil would have set it together. Still it's edible and will do me a couple of weeks.

Feel stuffed tonight and had an early dinner with the kids. The old Irish fave of boiled bacon and cabbage with some mashed swede. Having a glass of cab sauvignon - had an offer on at the local supermarket plus I had a ten euro voucher - so it's free wine really!

No exercise of any sort apart from walking miles around the local tile centre, spent an hour there and one guy asked was I ok & that he'd get back to me - I watched them serve 3 other people who arrived after I did and finally left, there are plenty of other stores to spend my money in. I wanted wall and floor tiles for a bathroom and kitchen, bathroom suite, hall and utility tiles, stove and hearth - I'm getting really impatient with poor service as I get older, I'll wait all day of acknowledged and treated properly but it's the company's loss, even if I was told they were cheaper I wouldn't go back. Wasted my morning though.
Breakfast - banana, blueberries, 3 brazil nuts, a date and some tea.
Lunch - Turkey breast with spinach, pea shoots, fruit and red cabbage with olive oil dressing.
Dinner - Bacon, swede and cabbage.
Fennel tea, water, glass of red wine.
Fish oil supplement and sudafed - finally think I'm beating this damn cold, still got a temp and shallow breathing but definitely better than I have been.
Made whoopie pies with the kids and had one bite of one.

may pics 1217.jpg

Is it a primal thing or am I just getting judgemental as well as cantankerous in my old age? You know that film where the young boy leans forward and whispers "I see dead people" ? I keep seeing unhealthy people (even skinny ones) everywhere ....
:D
And I'm only 80% compliant ....

Is it a primal thing or am I just getting judgemental as well as cantankerous in my old age? You know that film where the young boy leans forward and whispers "I see dead people" ? I keep seeing unhealthy people (even skinny ones) everywhere ....
:D
And I'm only 80% compliant ....

I do too while sat in costa today drinking water two people a girl and boy walked past very overweight waddling as so overweight with a pasty or pie in their hands eating as they walked along. Omg what a mess they looked and so young yet what they have done to their bodies. And still are damaging their bodies through ignorance

Yup it does my head in too

Thanks for the mention of sunshine sauce which I had been meaning to try for ages - had it with burgers and roasted veg/salad last night as our homecoming meal. Super yummy!

Hope you enjoyed your travels Plum.
Hope sunshine sauce is as good as it sounds. I'd forgotten the almond butter. I have some now to try with some steak tomorrow night.
Been a little naughty - had a Vienesse whirl from M&S today and a 100 cal bread roll filled with bacon but these little slips make me stay on track the rest of the time, so I'm just going to keep doing it my way.
I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" anymore, that I can keep eating moderately and well from now on without fear of ending up back where I was - my core beliefs have altered so much that I'm not depriving myself. Picked up Domino's and chip shop takeaways last night for family and cooked for myself as that's what I wanted - last year I'd have had both. Still got a stone to go to my goal but happy to chip it away slowly rather than being on a "diet".

Hope you enjoyed your travels Plum.
Hope sunshine sauce is as good as it sounds. I'd forgotten the almond butter. I have some now to try with some steak tomorrow night.

Thank you! NZ was amazing. :)

I'll be interested to hear how the sauce is with almond butter; we used sunflower seed butter as there was a long lost jar marooned in the cupboard! :D

Ok - so I wasn't going to keep my diary, mostly because I wasn't willing to face up to what I'm doing but here goes ...
I read a lot of threads on here, going back years in some cases and I've read about quite a few people with binge disorders & I hate to say it, I've looked at their stats of under 10 stone or whatever and thought well if they can do it and stay at that weight well it can't really hurt - can it .... and so I have binged on cake, bread and chocolate until I feel positively sick and then had a bottle of wine. Several times in the last fortnight.
I don't know if it's a culmination of having restricted stuff for so long, whether it's a conflict of belief (I do believe primal is the best way to eat but there must a subconscious voice saying but oh what about buttered toast when you're sick - I feel like an alcoholic trying to give up the drink) or am I just wanting too much, too soon, or am I just greedy.
This morning I have no interest in over eating at all and so it's easy to pretend it didn't happen but I need to be accountable for this & just make sure I don't F**k it all up.

It has taken me a long time to cut bread out of my diet (months!) do I still want it! Yes .. If I need to I have a loaf of gluten free bread in the freezer - but since I have it and know I can have it if I want it, I don't eat it.. Weird lol

I also love love hot cross buns.. I have 2 packs 8 buns of gluten free - in my freezer for when I want some ;) going to have one next Sat morning.., after I weigh in Sat/Sun I let myself have some extras that I don't have during the week - but still try! keep my carb levels below 100 or at most not above 150.

50-100 loose weight, 100-150 maintain weight

I find I crave carbs week before totm - so I have potatoes/ sweet potatoes maybe a bit of rice 1/4 cup cooked - kidney beans added to mince etc - I find it just s gets worse if I don't have the extra carbs - then I full out binge on crap!! But still try to keep my carb levels for that time below 150 - so I maintain my existing weight - I hope lol

I also recently ate some sweet rolls, sponge cake etc at a birthday lunch - made me feel so ill!! So I have an added Bonus of not wanting to feel that way!

I found it hard with bread - in some ways it all or nothing - but I did it slowly - switching to gluten free, then having it only 1-2 times a week and now not at all.

There are great recipes for pancakes, choc coconut cookies etc

My pancake recipe is with arrowroot and eggs
1 Tablespoon arrowroot, 2T water (mix) add 2 eggs, vanilla essence, pinch salt, 1 & 1/2 tsp oil mix and cook on med heat. Are like crapes :) Double it for 2 people ..

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Thanks girls.
I just need to get my head fully back into the game.
Worked out my resting metabolic rate (RMR) at 1438 - so with exercise coming in at about 350 cals a day, this gives me 1788 cals to maintain and so I should be able to loose steadily if I go back to eating most of my cals, not faffing about & trying to do primal, low fat and low cal in some weird mix - cos it doesn't work for me.
I have coconut flour, almond flour and rice flour already - so going to start using those in pancakes for brunch, instead of thinking it's ok and I can do without them. Wonder if I made a batch would they freeze?
Today, I have had fruit salad and poached rhubarb with coconut milk and a small chicken salad. 2 cups of tea.

These cookies are just amazing :)

Chocolate coconut Cookies
Ingredients
¼ cup sifted TIANA coconut flour
¼ cup butter or TIANA virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 eggs
1/3 cup TIANA Organic Raw Crystallised Coconut Nectar (sugar type thing if you don't have)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Method In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, nectar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.

I've been told yes you can freeze the pancakes but I haven't tried it.You have just given me an idea as I hate just cooking a couple at a time so I could batch cook and freeze some so I have them available when I want some.:)

Just back from kettlebells - for the squat lifts, alternate swings and overhead swing I upped the ante to a 14kg - ok first round, struggled with the second. Think it will take a good while to master it, also find the sheer bulk of the 14kg harder to handle - wondering if gloves would help and if so will any workout gloves do or are KB ones "special". Did the other moves with an 8kg.

So when I got back I whipped up 2 eggs, 2 tbsp coconut flour, vanilla, bit of almond milk & baking powder - made 2 fairly large "bready" type pancakes - had one and saved the other for tomorrow, when I'll try to reheat it in the toaster for convenience. If it works will make a bigger batch at the weekend and freeze them.

Other than that food day has been ok overall - cooked breakfast of 1 bacon, 1 gluten free sausage, 1 black pudding (I know .... it's got grain ... ) with some rhubarb poached in orange juice with cinnamon and topped with a tsp maple syrup to sweeten.
Late Lunch/early dinner - Chicken and Veg Curry but it was 3/4 or more veg with just a bit leftover chicken in it. A banana.
Supper - coconut pancake and tea.
I did have two cadbury's eclair toffees whilst driving. Must clear car of sweets again and put some nuts in instead (DD2 wanted a treat today from the shop and chose a red pepper and a packet of brazil nuts - I was quite amazed! She did scoff some eclairs as well though)
Weighed in and still at 11 stone 4lb. So while I am annoyed that I've not lost anything for ages, I know I've been really good exercise wise & really bad diet wise - so it's not unexpected or even undeserved. Next official weigh in is Wed 27th and I'd love to hit 11 stone if possible and see a shift in my body fat %.

These cookies are just amazing :)

Chocolate coconut Cookies
Ingredients
¼ cup sifted TIANA coconut flour
¼ cup butter or TIANA virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 eggs
1/3 cup TIANA Organic Raw Crystallised Coconut Nectar (sugar type thing if you don't have)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Method In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, nectar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.

They sound fab - problem is controlling myself not to eat them all. I'd need to make them, have one and give them away - too dangerous for me to have around (even frozen - I'd still eat them).

Back