I no longer have a fruit-bowl!

moonwatcher

Gold Member
I now have a third of one side of my kitchen work-top which is the 'fruit area.' :D Today there are three bowls/baskets and I have just had a count up - 2 pineapples, 1 melon, 5 pears, 6 apples, 2 nets of clementines, 1 mango, 7 bananas, 1 orange, 1 grapefruit, 3 limes and 2 lemons!

Oh, and I suppose I shouldn't forget the freezer basket full of plums, rhubarb and assorted berries!

I couldn't possibly get through all that fruit before a colony of fruit flies invaded me lol

Do you eat fruit as snacks? Or part of a meal? I'm not a snacky person so I find that the fruit I have with breakfast is usually all I eat in a day :eek:

Honeyoc said:
Do you eat fruit as snacks? Or part of a meal? I'm not a snacky person so I find that the fruit I have with breakfast is usually all I eat in a day :eek:

Me too. If i have a supefree snack its usually cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, pepper sticks, or sliced green beans

Both. I probably get through about 3 - 5 portions of fruit a day. I often make a fruity salsa to have with my lunch or evening meal, or add chopped fruit to salads, and have some as snacks now and again as well. Although tbh, I find when I'm doing SW properly I don't feel the need to snack much.

I can't eat fruit on an empty stomach as I get really griping IBS pains if I do, so although I would be quite happy with fruit first thing for breakfast, I have to have something else first - I might have a small amount of fruit afterwards, but not very much until with my lunch. I know that isn't strictly EE, but I vary my breakfasts quite a bit, and often have something cooked with superfree veg, so on the odd days when I don't have my third s/f for breakfast I don't worry about it. I just make sure I eat plenty of s/f during the day. :cool:

Me too. If i have a supefree snack its usually cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, pepper sticks, or sliced green beans

I don't tend to snack on veggies. I think it's probably because it's easier to grab a piece of fruit, and not have to think about any prep. Although I can do serious damage to a punnet of cherry toms, or even better, a handful of home grown ones!

moonwatcher said:
I don't tend to snack on veggies. I think it's probably because it's easier to grab a piece of fruit, and not have to think about any prep. Although I can do serious damage to a punnet of cherry toms, or even better, a handful of home grown ones!

Yeah, it does take some effort, and time. Thankfully i seem to have figured out how much to eat in a meal to keep me going without the need to snack too often. Though i always make sure i pop in the supermarket when i'm having a hungry day to grab carrot sticks etc

Yeah, it does take some effort, and time. Thankfully i seem to have figured out how much to eat in a meal to keep me going without the need to snack too often. Though i always make sure i pop in the supermarket when i'm having a hungry day to grab carrot sticks etc

I think that the SW way of eating helps 'cos there is less likelihood of that 'sugar drop' which makes you want to snack. I find the same - there is much less urge to snack between SW meals.

moonwatcher said:
I think that the SW way of eating helps 'cos there is less likelihood of that 'sugar drop' which makes you want to snack. I find the same - there is much less urge to snack between SW meals.

Yup - no 3pm 'crash' due to the wrong kind of carbs for lunch either.

I now have a third of one side of my kitchen work-top which is the 'fruit area.' :D Today there are three bowls/baskets and I have just had a count up - 2 pineapples, 1 melon, 5 pears, 6 apples, 2 nets of clementines, 1 mango, 7 bananas, 1 orange, 1 grapefruit, 3 limes and 2 lemons!

Oh, and I suppose I shouldn't forget the freezer basket full of plums, rhubarb and assorted berries!

D'oh :doh:- forgot the punnet of grapes in the fridge salad tray!

Both. I probably get through about 3 - 5 portions of fruit a day. I often make a fruity salsa to have with my lunch or evening meal, or add chopped fruit to salads, and have some as snacks now and again as well. Although tbh, I find when I'm doing SW properly I don't feel the need to snack much.

I can't eat fruit on an empty stomach as I get really griping IBS pains if I do, so although I would be quite happy with fruit first thing for breakfast, I have to have something else first - I might have a small amount of fruit afterwards, but not very much until with my lunch. I know that isn't strictly EE, but I vary my breakfasts quite a bit, and often have something cooked with superfree veg, so on the odd days when I don't have my third s/f for breakfast I don't worry about it. I just make sure I eat plenty of s/f during the day. :cool:

Adding fruit to salads is a great idea!! I uaually add figs to my prosciutto salads but I could probably add grapes, peaches, strawberries etc to salads as well. Thanks for reminding me!

Adding fruit to salads is a great idea!! I uaually add figs to my prosciutto salads but I could probably add grapes, peaches, strawberries etc to salads as well. Thanks for reminding me!

Yum - I haven't had fresh figs for a while. I love mango or pineapple with anything cheesy, ham, pork or bacon and I also like fruit with lamb. Fresh orange segments are good with oven roast beetroot.

I've not tried it yet, but I have a feeling that plums or mango chopped over roasted sweet potato wedges with feta cheese crumbled on top would be pretty good too. :drool:

Oh my, I am developing a bit of a fruit fetish! :D

I wish I liked fruit more! I like Bananas but too many give me indigestion, Can handle melon, oranges, and apples and pears if in the mood.

But I don't really have a sweet tooth, and I don't really snack.

I wish I liked fruit more! I like Bananas but too many give me indigestion, Can handle melon, oranges, and apples and pears if in the mood.

Sameeeee

You lot are straaaaannnge! :eek: :D

I didn't think I had a sweet tooth, I couldn't care less about chocolate and stuff, but having said that I just have to GRAZE all day long and I use fruit to do it, cos its easy I guess... I just have the urge to have something going in my gob every half hour or so :rolleyes:

Veg doesnt really do it for me as grazing food, except really good baby tomaties, I mean *really* good ones... I just stuff my lunch with veggies instead.

Funny really, I never used to like fruit, Im still not a fan of apples, oranges bananas etc although Ill eat them if I have to, but Im currently addicted to really ripe peaches, pears, nectarines :drool: ommmm, all out of berries now though :cry: WHAT WILL WE DOOOOOOOO over winter??? I cant remember what fruit we can even HAVE in winter, aaaggGGGHHHHHHHH!!! :eek:

When I first started SW I was eating tons of fruit. The ex and I between us would get through a ton each week, with me having strawberries and melon for breakfast most days, plus another couple of peices of fruit for snacks throughout the day.

Now that I'm on my own I find that if I buy punnets of fruit then it goes off before I can eat it all, but buying just a couple of each fruit works out far more expensive than buying punnets... so I guess I've just stopped eating fruit so much these days as it's just a pain in the butt! Plus strawberries are more expensive now and nowhere near as yummy!

Really must start eating it more again... need to get paid first though as am on mega tight budget until Monday.

ermintrude said:
You lot are straaaaannnge! :eek: :D

I didn't think I had a sweet tooth, I couldn't care less about chocolate and stuff, but having said that I just have to GRAZE all day long and I use fruit to do it, cos its easy I guess... I just have the urge to have something going in my gob every half hour or so :rolleyes:

Veg doesnt really do it for me as grazing food, except really good baby tomaties, I mean *really* good ones... I just stuff my lunch with veggies instead.

Funny really, I never used to like fruit, Im still not a fan of apples, oranges bananas etc although Ill eat them if I have to, but Im currently addicted to really ripe peaches, pears, nectarines :drool: ommmm, all out of berries now though :cry: WHAT WILL WE DOOOOOOOO over winter??? I cant remember what fruit we can even HAVE in winter, aaaggGGGHHHHHHHH!!! :eek:

I'm with you Erm... Snacking on veggies really doesn't hit the spot for me either.

I go through stages, when i first stated SW I are tons of fruit and then I went through a stage of not eating much and now if I look at my fruit bowl I sometimes wonder how I eat it all! Hubby doesn't eat any of it so there's just me and I never ever have to throw any away

Mmmm just doing the Tesco shop, Ive got apples, satsumas, nectarines, bananas, pears, peaches, nectarines, figs and a melon :rolleyes: I'm nowhere near the scale of moonwatcher though :D Anything else I should add?

Back