I really want to try Quorn

but I find it really hard to get out of my head the horrible Textured Vegetable Protein dish I made in cookery class 20 odd years ago.

Where would be the best place and brand to start.

Thanks

It's not like that bland reconstituted cardboard stuff from the 80s at all, Quorn is lovely. Quorn is the brand, the stuff itself if called mycoprotein or something. Try the peppered steaks, or the chicken-style fillets - they cook up lovely and tender if you put a couple in a baking dish and pour herby passata over the top then bake in the oven.

Tesco's Quorn mince is on sale right now. You could try it with a bit of pasta or in a wrap...?

Quorn have a cookbook you can get too, it's a couple of quid if you save the special packs and send off. It's got some really nice recipes in it, and they could be adapted for SW.

The mince is nice in a chilli or bolognese.

I tried the mince in a spag bol and no one in my family noticed was no different just less fat so i have bought more

Quorn chicken burgers

Just love the quorn chicken burgers (frozen) they are 2.5 syns each but taste gorgeous, with a jacket and huge salad I feel like I've had a lovely meal

X

I only really use the mince. I'm not so keen on the other stuff but the mince is great for spag Bol and stuff!

I tried the quorn fillets in tomato sauce with olives yesterday. They were lovely. (I did them in the microwave as no kitchen at the mo, but will try them in the oven when I can). They are 1 syn per fillet, but I had both with a big pile of veggies.

I've also heard of people using half extra-lean mince / half quorn mince in recipes to keep costs down.

In chillies and curry Quorn's great. You can always add oxo to get the more meaty taste. When I was veggy I took some into our local Indian restaurant the day before my birthday and they made me a lovely chicken-style dhansak with it, with no extra ghee to keep the syns down (what nice chaps eh!!)

The asda meat free range is imho far superior to most of the quorn products. I suggest the meatballs and lincolnshire sausages. Both have a small syn value but are worth it!

I have to admit to being a quorn sausage fan now - years ago they were repulsive but they are now fabulous! Especially as part of Saturday morning bake up! I do find that with things like the chicken pieces you don't need to cook them for as long as the instructions say as they dry out alot but maybe thats just my oven. Bon appetit!

I love the Quorn chicken pieces. I fry a whole bag off with some frylight, add onions, passatta, peppers, beef stock, worcester sauce and simmer for 20 mins or so then add a couple blocks of frozen spinach and some peas for 10 mins or so. Delish with mushy peas or a jacket spud or pasta! I bag it into portions and freeze.

Bee x

I like some Quorn products but not all of them.
The southern style burgers are gorgeous for 2.5 syns each & I also like the chicken style nuggets too which are 1.5 syns each.

I dont mind the mince but only like the taste of it if its made into a chilli con carne, I made it as spag bol & cottage pie and didnt like it at all.

Also the sausages are not bad & I quite like the cheese & leek escalopes every now and then as a treat but they are 7 syns.

The worst thing I tried was the lamb style grills, they were horrible and went straight in the bin. lol. xxxx

i'd go for the southern style 'chicken' burgers (2.5 syns each) or an escalope (normally 6 or 7 syns) - they're really tasty and my boyfriend who loves meat prefers these to normal chicken burgers/escalopes.

I love the Quorn chicken pieces. I fry a whole bag off with some frylight, add onions, passatta, peppers, beef stock, worcester sauce and simmer for 20 mins or so then add a couple blocks of frozen spinach and some peas for 10 mins or so. Delish with mushy peas or a jacket spud or pasta! I bag it into portions and freeze.

Bee x

Are the quorn chicken pieces syn free? I really like the sound of that meal :D
xxx

There is a list of quorn products and syns values in the Syns section.

I really like Quorn, I used it before SW too. I like the chicken style pieces in stirfrys with soy sauce, chilli, ginger and garlic and lots of crunchy veg. Lovely.

Quorn is yummy. Have a check on my recipe thread lots of Quorn recipes ( *honeys recipes - Sticky in recipe forum)
On its own it is very bland, but that means its a blank canvas to add flavours too. it works well in all types of cuisine :)
i look through all recipes and if i like the sound of flavours of a meat dish i just use them with Quorn.

The sausages aren't very nice, they have a funny texture, but the mince is lovely :)

The only way to know is to try it. But don't be put off if you don't like one thing as they are all quite different.

I love chicken pieces, steak strips (prefer those to beef in stir fry),meatballs.

BUT hate quorn mince, but love asda's own meat free mince.

Back