I think the Dairy has to go :'(

Madison

Well folks,
After last nights binge on the fromage frais front I've decided that I'm going to try and eliminate dairy totally for a while to see if it makes a difference. I've been told in the past on 2 separate occasions that I'm intollerrant to dairy (whether I believe this or not is in question as no blood tests taken!).

I find once I open the 500g tub of the stuff (ff) I just can't leave it alone. Yesterday's quota between my Dukan bread, my lunch and dinner and snacking on the stuff - reached 2 of the 500g tubs in total....!!

I didn't in any way feel ill after it mind you. This surely should be the case if I were intollerent don't you think? I've stopped weighing myself a couple of weeks ago as have started running and didn't want to get bogged down by the numbers on those pesky scales so have decided to go by my clothes and how they are fitting. According to the Dukan site I should be reaching my true weight in June. I know I'm nowhere near that at present as still can't get into my "trousers and jeans of truth". I do feel that had I not been eating as much dairy as I have my losses would be greater and or quicker.

I've posted on here before about the dairy issue and I know I'm eating way too much between ff and quark so I think as I can't stop myself once it's there, the only thing left for it is to cut it out, boo hoo hiss....

I wouldn't mind but I've just started making the Dukan bread since the weekend and I absolutely love it. I was adding a couple of teaspoons of ff to it. Doubt it'll work without it.

Has anyone noticed a big difference in their weight loss as a result of cutting down or eliminating dairy from their Dukan journey.
Sorry for the essay and thanks for reading if you are :)

can I just ask whether it was your GP who told you about your dairy intolerance? (If it was one of the food intolerance tests, however, I know no one who's done them who hasn't been told they're intolerant to dairy!! So I'd take it with a pinch of salt!).

Yes I would have thought if you were truly intolerant to dairy, eating the sort of quantity you are mentioning would have had an affect on you. Perhaps someone in the medical field could elaborate on that.

As for Dukan, if you're eating that amount and losing well, why not indeed. I however would never lose eating anywhere near that amount. 300-400g is my maximum on Dukan if I hope to lose weight!

Perhaps others have ideas. Cutting it out completely isn't a great idea for your calcium levels though.
x

Hi Joanne,
thanks so much for such a quick response. It wasn't my doc who tested me. One of the tests was done in a health food shop with all different substances in little viles and you're tested whilst holding these viles, 2nd test was done by a kinesiologist. Really don't know whether I have much faith in either.
I'd really rather not have to give up the dairy as it will leave me fairly limited. I've tried cutting it down but that only lasts a couple of days. Maybe I'll just go back to buying quark (in 205g tubs) and see how I fair out.

I may also just trying having the amount you have and see how I go. I was reading earlier about food intolerances and according to what other people were saying they do feel quite unwell after eating dairy if intollerant. Def think after the amount I had last night I should've been ill!!! Hmmm, what to do...Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. x

I would say you should keep the dairy you use to make dukan bread with.... if having it in the house means you binge on it though....then rather than not buying it - how about batch cooking all your dukan bread for say...ooh a month maybe...then freezing it and defrosting as needed, that way you have the dairy/calcium, don't lose out on having the bread, but also don't store copious amounts of dairy that you might binge on?

Same goes for any sauces you make from dairy, batch cook and freeze. That way you've an instant supply of helpful ingredients but without being able to down pints of yoghurt :)

hope this helps x

I was told that my 2yr old son's asthma is in part caused by dairy intolerance (this from a consultant paediatrician). I argued that he's been on inhalers since he was 4 mths old (and I was breastfeeding at the time) to the reply that he was intolerant to the dairy that I was eating. We were advised to cut all dairy and give him Yakult each day. You can imagine how well that went down with him (he was 19 months at the time!)... tonne of bricks springs to mind. Needless to say we didn't cut the dairy, but his asthma is now under control (he's older & bigger for a start) and so we told a few porkies at his last review :eek:. The consultant was very pleased that his theory about the dairy intolerance was 'proven' and told us to continue with the non-dairy substitues & Yakult!

On the other hand, a good friend of mine was told by her GP that she absolutely DID NOT have coeliac disease. However, she went on a wheat & gluten free diet and suddenly dropped 2 stone. Coincidence? I think not!

I think you know your body better than anyone else, and dairy intolerance or not, if it's halting your weightloss and/or making you bloated, then you need to address it. Maybe a week or 2 without it would be a good idea, just so you see how your body reacts to that.

Good luck x

Intolerance is not necessarily accompanied by any specific symptoms. I agree with Cheryl, try limiting or eliminating for a week or 2 and see if that makes any difference for you. My dairy intake hovers around 1kg daily (sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more) but if I am strictly following the plan I invariably lose weight each week. I think we all need to find what works for us on that front :)

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice, very much appreciated. Some good points there like maybe making my Dukan bread and freezing it, would be great as I've just started making it and love it. Would hate to have to give that up too. Would also mean that I wouldn't have the dairy to hand to snack on. I've had issues in the past with binge eating and it really only occured to me today that this is what I've been doing with the dairy. On the whole, and on a really positive note, one thing about the Dukan diet is, it has definitely curbed my binge eating big time. Gone are the days of binge eating on carbs day after day which for me is a new lease of life. Long live Dukan. Many thanks again xx

Hi Sara,
I know what you mean about just having meat, fish, eggs and chicken. The thoughts of it scares me a little to be honest. I think you're spot on about buying just one pot per day if I'm to continue with it. Stupidly what I was doing was buying tesco light choices ff in bulk as there's only one Tesco near me that does it and it normally sells out really quickly. I didn't have any yesterday or today so far so we'll see how it goes. Well, we'll see if I make it to the weekend dairy free..somehow I'm thinking not. Thanks for the tips. x

Your friend probably almost certainly does not have coeliacs, which is an autoimmune disease, but could well have a wheat or gluten intolerance, which is a very different thing.

(I probably have the latter, my mum definitely has the former).

Back