I want to cook a ham for Christmas but am clueless! Can i make a SW friendly one?

BooBooChicken

just that really, i don't know what cut of meat to look for or how long to cook it, whether it needs soaking or anything!!

i have a slow cooker if that helps...

many thanks!

I make Nigella's ham every year but don't think it will work with Diet Coke. You need the sugar in it to caramelise to give it the flavour. I'm sure it says in her book not to use Diet Coke.

I'm making this for Christmas day and as mentioned, it does need to be fat boys coke or cherry coke but this makes it so much sweeter.

Not sure how Nigella does hers, but I bung mine in the slow cooker with the coke. When cooked I score it, and make a glaze of honey and orange juice and pour over and pop in the oven for a while.

I am so looking forward to this meal.

I have used diet coke to make a barbecued chicken and it does caramelise, so I still think it would work. Probably wouldnt be as nice as using the full sugar stuff though obviously.

The ingredients llisted for the glaze will help to caramelize the ham as well and you are still using those.

thanks guys!
so what type of gammon/ham am i looking for and what size for a family of four plus leftovers??
Thanks!

Also I often do a baked ham at christmas, you boil the joint of ham first, remove the thick layer of fat, leaving just a little bit left on, then score it all over with a knife in diamond type shapes.

You then make up a glaze of honey, mustard and stick cloves all over it and bake in the oven. Is delicious.

I'd say you are best with a joint of ham. Uncooked of course.

how many syns is fat coke?

Boiled Bacon cooked in Diet Coke

Try This.
Pete’s Diet Coke Boiling Bacon

Piece of boiling bacon
2 Ltr bottle of Diet Coke
Old saucepan

Cooking with Diet Coke may sound weird but believe me it works.

The Coke appears to draw out all the salt and other ingredients used in preparing the bacon and giving it a dark rich colour and flavour.

Don’t worry about the colour of the cooked Coke, it will look horrible but you will be throwing it away.
Your saucepan will look terrible but it will wash up ok, just don’t use your best pan.

Weight the bacon joint to work out the cooking time.
20 mins per 1lb + 20 mins
Use an old pan if possible as it gets messy
Put joint into pan and cover in Diet Coke

Bring to the boil; keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil over, very messy!
Turn down heat and allow to simmer.
Keep the joint covered with coke.

The joint is cooked when you can push a skewer through the thickest part of the joint.
Remove and THROW AWAY the Coke, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THE COKE!

Add to drain and cool on a sloping drip tray.

Enjoy!

You will never cook a bacon joint any other way after tasting this……..

Attachments

• IMG_0137 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0137 (Large).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0138 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0138 (Large).JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0140 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0140 (Large).JPG
    114 KB · Views: 399
Back