Ice cream makers, anyone make their own yoghurt ice cream?

I look forward to hearing you report back. I'm getting a yoghurt maker for my birthday, can't wait to start making my own yoghurt, thanks to your enthusiasm about it!

Added Asda almond flavouring (ingredients: water, natural flavouring) to natural yog and sweetener for my frozen yogurt this eve. So delish!

Note to self: freeze bowl to eat soft serve fro-yo out of as well as ice-cream maker bowl so that it doesn't melt quite so fast. :)Xx

Well I used my ice cream maker for the first time today.

I made frozen yoghurt using 250g of homemade greek style yoghurt and a tub of Toffee Muller Lite.

It wasn't tasty enough for me, I think I will use less plain yoghurt next time as it kind of diluted the toffee flavour.

I have promised my daughter I will make some proper ice cream for her tomorrow as she will not even try yoghurt ice cream. :rolleyes:

She only likes chocolate, vanilla and mint choc chip ice cream so I will have to search for an easy recipe for her.

No point in adding fancy things for her as she wouldn't eat it.

;)

Did the consistency come out less icy than yoghurt put in the freezer?

I presume you would substitute the sugar, cream etc in those recipes for dukan ingredients?

I like mixing the yogurt with a home made egg custard. Very Dukan and easy, though you do need to take it out and mix it up a bit if you have no ice cream maker. But it gives it all a creaminess without having cream in it.. Really nice flavoured with mint or lemon balm from the garden. Atropos, you are good on this sort of thing, and Anja too, have you tried egg custard ice cream?

Did the consistency come out less icy than yoghurt put in the freezer?

I presume you would substitute the sugar, cream etc in those recipes for dukan ingredients?

Well, I have made two lots, as long as you have kept your ice cream bowl in the freezer for at least a day it will come out looking like ice cream, not icy at all.

The instructions say to put it in the freezer before you use it for 6 to 12 hours, however, from reading the reviews on Amazon (there are 1700+ of them on the Cuisinart ICE-20 model), it is best to keep it in there for at least one day.

I made different ones, one for me and two for my husband.

Mine was made with milk and home made slow cooker yoghurt which I had strained and added some butterscotch esssence.

I did however add a bit of sugar as I read it helps it freeze better.

I am in the second stage of conso and am still losing weight which I don't really want to, so I will be having just one scoop when eating this, won't be going overboard.

It is nothing like the Otker passion fruit yog that I froze the other day.

This one is scoopable, the other was rock hard.

The other batches I made for my husband who isn't on a diet taste gorgeous, I could not resist tasting them if I was making them now could I !

The first one was made up of 300ml full fat milk, 100g sugar, two Muller Lite strawberry yogs and a tsp vanilla essence.

I made it and filled a 900ml ice cream tub and stuck it in the freezer. A few hours late and it is scoopable so not made up of crystals, looks like proper ice cream.

The other was exactly the same but using two Muller Lite cherry yogs.

I got a 6 pack which was reduced earlier for 75p and had full fat milk left over from the vanilla and choc chip ice cream I had made for my daughter (she won't even taste yoghurt ice cream, the look on her face says it all when I approach her with it! - by the way, for anyone not on a diet that was just like eating Vienetta).

I am def glad I bought the ice cream maker, can't wait to make some frozen dukan friendly yogs.

I have read that to prevent your ice cream from freezing rock hard ie yog ice cream to add 1 tsp of vodka. It keeps it softer and you can't taste it.

;)

450g Onken fat free natural yogurt, sweetener, zest of a whole lime and juice of half = heavenly 'ice-cream'! :)Xx

Back