Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

I tried to make this last night and I think it looks like yogurt this morning lol how long does it take to set in the fridge ?

I tried to make this last night and I think it looks like yogurt this morning lol how long does it take to set in the fridge ?

Hi Ellie

When you say tried to make...............

Did you use live yoghurt? Have you tasted it, does it taste like yoghurt? How many hours did you leave it in it's towel for?

It thickens quite quickly in the fridge but I normally put mine in overnight so can't say exactly how short a time it would take.

I am sure someone else can give you a better idea on that one.

I tend to finish making mine just before midnight so bung it in the fridge until 7am the following morning.

Welcome to the yog club.

;)

yup used the green yeo valley one.... it was in its blanket for 8 hours overnight while i was in bed... set my timer for this not tried tasting it yet and i dont think i have anything i can strain it through

yup used the green yeo valley one.... it was in its blanket for 8 hours overnight while i was in bed... set my timer for this not tried tasting it yet and i dont think i have anything i can strain it through

I use a pyrex bowl, a large seive and one of my husbands cotton handkerchiefs.

Clean one of course! :D

Some members use tea towels and I read somewhere that you could use an old cotton shirt, just cut a square out of the back bit and use that!

Coffee filter? You could use that or perhaps a stocking or cut a leg off a pair of tights?

Make do and mend, that's me!

:D

oh ive plenty tights kicking around that i could use so may try that thanks

hmmm tried it and most of it strained through the tights and ended up looking like a bow of slime :( the puppy isnt complaining though as ive been mixing it with her dinner to encourage her to eat LOL ... will try again .... its possibly my milk powder wich i think was probably just a coffee whitener rather than a skimmed milk powder

I think the milk powder just makes the finished product creamier, it shouldn't effect the success of the yogurt. Did the yogurt seem thick when u unwrapped it? Sort of set?
Perhaps tights aren't the best to strain it through as some can be quite sheer and not really be able to strain very well.
I've used one of my little girl's old muslins. I think a tea towel will work just as well.
Give it another try, it's worth it.

have anouther batch on the go will see how it is this time

I think it's worked this time as when I've took it out it's blanket this morning it's a lot thicker than yesterday's

I think it's worked this time as when I've took it out it's blanket this morning it's a lot thicker than yesterday's

It will thicken up more after it has been in the fridge for a few hours, plus you could drain it if it still isn't thick enough for you.

Have you tasted it yet?

yep had a little spoonfull.... its not as sour as shop bought yoghurt ... its currently in the fridge and ill see how it sets before deciding whether to drain or not as ill need to track down muslin or something this afternoon

I'm so pleased it has worked for you.
Boots sell muslins for a half-decent price. I think about £5 for 3 or so, with the reusable nappies. Or u could ask a friend with a little one, most hold onto a few muslins.
The thicker, strained yogurt really is gorgeous.

yep had a little spoonfull.... its not as sour as shop bought yoghurt ... its currently in the fridge and ill see how it sets before deciding whether to drain or not as ill need to track down muslin or something this afternoon

I think it tastes nicer than shop bought and if you do strain it until it is really thick, it's like eating cream without the guilt or added calories.

Don't forget, if you can't get muslin, buy some cotton mens handkerchiefs, I use them all of the time and they work really well.

:D

Glad to hear that it worked this time.

;)

my son tried to get cotton hankies for me yesterday and was told that the shop only gets them in at xmas .... i will try some other places today

well ive just enjoyed some of my yoghurt with a little raspberry SF jelly powder mixed in and it was yum..... i ended up with lots whey after straining it and the yoghurt still wasnt really thick apart from the last bit i scraped off the muslin ... wondering if my slow cooker maybe isnt holding the heat enough even though its hardly been used

Think it was around 5 hours I strained it for

Back