Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

Pop your milk in the slow cooker, after 2.5 hours take the temp. If it's not up to temp (175°F) keep doing so every 10 mins. Note the time it takes to get to that temp.
Turn your slow cooker off. After 3 hours take the temp, if it's not dropped to 110°F keep taking the temp every 10 mins till it has. Note the time it took. Complete the recipe.
I did this yesterday to enable me to make a bigger batch. It's a bit of a pain but I now know how long to leave things for a nice large batch (plus I have a large batch).
Like ovens, I imagine, slow cookers all differ slightly with temps and you just have to experiment to get things 100%.
It really is worth it, the yogurt is lovely and you get a real satisfaction from making your own stuff. This morning I was straining yogurt, I had a fresh bread cooling made from the whey of yesterday's yogurt (for rest of family) and some Dukan muffins in the oven. I felt like a Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstal, all I needed were a few chickens clucking round my feet.

Thanks Locket.
I did it!
I invested in a digital thermometer.
Checked temp after 2.5 hours and it had reached 176F so all was fine. Switched it off and instead of waiting for 3 hours, I checked after 2.5 hours and it had already dropped well below 110F. So I switched it back on again and kept checking every 5 mins until it was back up to 110F. When it reached that temp, I switched it off and added yog & milk powder and wrapped it up. 8 hours later I had yoghurt! Yay!!!
So when I make it again, I think I shall check it after 2 hours instead of 3 to see what the temp is.
Thanks again. :)

Me too Locket, I make 4-litre batches from Thurs till Sun just to make sure I have enough for the week ahead :)

Back