Does anyone make their own yoghurt?

My husband went shopping for me this morning as I feel like poop (think my daughter has given me her cold but I have it a lot worse than she did :sigh: , at least she is feeling a lot better).

I was determined to make some more yoghurt so asked him to get me some more powdered milk and a tub of Yeo Valley.

Slow cooker all nice and clean ready to put in the milk.............. no bl**dy milk left!

I can't believe I have got through 12 cartons of UHT milk.

:mad:

Will have to wait until tomorrow now to buy some more.

I wonder if it would work if I made a pint of milk from the milk powder, perhaps not Dukan friendly to do it that way.

U have nothing to lose, so why not try making it with the skimmed milk powder. As long as u make up the skimmed milk according to instructions I cannot see the harm.

U have nothing to lose, so why not try making it with the skimmed milk powder. As long as u make up the skimmed milk according to instructions I cannot see the harm.

Well, I have given it a go and it will be ready to go 'undercover' at 11pm so will be ready to go in the fridge in the morning.

Fingers crossed.

To be honest, I probably won't be able to taste it anyway with this stinking cold that I have.

I hope you feel better soon babes! Looking forward to find out if your method works x

I hope you feel better soon babes! Looking forward to find out if your method works x

That's nice, thanks Mirj!

I am feeling a lot better than I did.

Hey, take a look at my thread in recipes on the sc yog, I have put some pics on of the one that I messed up, can't believe how it turned out.

;)

Well folks, the dried milk experiment worked!

I had a crock pot full of thick yoghurt this morning.

I made the milk up with the powder, think it was 4.5 tbs to make one litre.

I still added a tbs of milk powder with the starter yoghurt as normal.

It's in the fridge now for an hour or so then I will strain some whey off to make it into greek yog.

I used the Tesco brand of milk powder £1.68 for 340g, as it was a lot cheaper than Marvel.

I think it is cheaper in Lidl or Aldi but couldn't get there yesterday to get any.

638%5C5052004249638%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

;)

Well, the yog that I made with the powdered milk powder tasted very nice but I have just had a look at he details on the tub.

Now I did drain off lots of whey so I ended up with just less than 500g which would take these down a bit but............

57g made up with 586ml water (So I used double to make about 1ltr)

Calories 210
Sugar 30.2g
Fat 0.3g
Saturates 0.2g
Salt 0.8g

Best I stock up on some more cartons of UHT milk.

Well, the yog that I made with the powdered milk powder tasted very nice but I have just had a look at he details on the tub.

Now I did drain off lots of whey so I ended up with just less than 500g which would take these down a bit but............

57g made up with 586ml water (So I used double to make about 1ltr)

Calories 210
Sugar 30.2g
Fat 0.3g
Saturates 0.2g
Salt 0.8g

Best I stock up on some more cartons of UHT milk.

I noticed that my skimmed milk powder contained sugar too, so only put one tbsp in per litre of milk.

Why oh why would they add sugar to it? So annoying! :rolleyes:

I noticed that my skimmed milk powder contained sugar too, so only put one tbsp in per litre of milk.

Why oh why would they add sugar to it? So annoying! :rolleyes:

That's right, that is what the recipe says but I was making milk from powder and water so it was 5.5tbs!!!!

Bought some more milk today so have a 'normal' batch in the sc now.

:D

The sugar could be lactose sugar which is perfectly natural in milk. Check the ingredients, I have 2 different brands in my cupboard and neither contain added sugar.

OMG !! am i glad i stuck with this and kept trying.... just had a few spoonfulls of the thick and creamy yoghurt i strained this morning.... i added a drop of orange flavouring and about a 3rd of a 1/4 tsp of red fat cocoa powder.... it was like eating a very creamy chocolate orange :D

OMG !! am i glad i stuck with this and kept trying.... just had a few spoonfulls of the thick and creamy yoghurt i strained this morning.... i added a drop of orange flavouring and about a 3rd of a 1/4 tsp of red fat cocoa powder.... it was like eating a very creamy chocolate orange :D

Yeh!

I knew we would get there in the end.

:bliss:

Glad that you like it, now you will find making it becomes addictive.

:D

Ok I need some help with making boursin. My yoghurt is really lovely, creamy and thick(ish).

I have been taking some out after setting it first in the fridge, then straining it all night through a cotton handkerchief.

The first time I did this, I was left with slightly thicker yoghurt and whey in the bowl, but the yoghurt was nowhere thick enough to be like cheese.

Yesterday I tried again and all that happened was that the whole amount of yoghurt dripped through the handkerchief into the bowl below!

What on earth am I doing wrong? I WANT some boursin! :cry::badmood::rant2::grumble:

Ok I need some help with making boursin. My yoghurt is really lovely, creamy and thick(ish).

I have been taking some out after setting it first in the fridge, then straining it all night through a cotton handkerchief.

The first time I did this, I was left with slightly thicker yoghurt and whey in the bowl, but the yoghurt was nowhere thick enough to be like cheese.

Yesterday I tried again and all that happened was that the whole amount of yoghurt dripped through the handkerchief into the bowl below!

What on earth am I doing wrong? I WANT some boursin! :cry::badmood::rant2::grumble:
I think I left mine in the fridge until it was thick and then tied the hanky with an elastic band and left hanging in the kitchen for about a day.

The other one I made from the yog that hadn't taken (prob with my starter) and I moved it to my Easiyo container and did it that way. It came out really lumpy and this is the other one that I made the cheese from.

I was using semi skimmed milk, are you using skimmed? It may be too thin to make it with that, not sure.

You might need to leave it for longer, then the texture gets less creamy and more 'crumbly' and separates better if you want to strain it for 'cheam-type' cheese... Like mine that's still at home in the yoghurt maker after I forgot to take it out this AM :-( - that will be definitely for savoury use....

You might need to leave it for longer, then the texture gets less creamy and more 'crumbly' and separates better if you want to strain it for 'cheam-type' cheese... Like mine that's still at home in the yoghurt maker after I forgot to take it out this AM :-( - that will be definitely for savoury use....

Do you mean leave it longer setting in the fridge, or longer straining it? And should it strain in the fridge or at room temperature?

So many questions. So little yoghurt left... :p

Back