Ideas for a breadlover

Rainstar

Hello all,

Any ideas on things I can replace my beloved bread with?

Especially at lunch time as this is when I really struggle to eat anything other than a sandwich

I too am a bread lover, i have pretty much just cut it out. going 'cold turkey' on it was the best way.

Re lunch - are you at home for lunch, ie can cook something or do you need to take a 'packed lunch' to work???

You can have bread as a healthy extra or you can syn it. No need to go without.

LOL that's true, but if they are like me, then a couple of slices just won't cut it...especially if it's tiger bread *drools*. i miss tiger bread :cry:but if it's there i have no will power to stop and i went cold turkey instead.

however you can make a rice substatute. :) cook some rice and mix with any vegetables you want. put it in a pan with some vegetable stock some they mix well together. remove most of the liquid via sieve afterwards, mabe use it as a sauce for something else later? then pour the rice into a flat-like container and leave in the fridge overnight. it should be firm enough to stick together for a sandwich but soft enough to chew through. if too soggy then perhaps putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours.

I go for the ryvita crackerbreads as healthy b option. Taste alright and satisfies the bread cravings so far. Guess can always sin it if they get too much.

I work so have to take a packed lunch. Think I will try the rice idea :)

Yeah I love bread, fresh bloomers, baguettes, crusty rolls, white bread. Wholemeal doesn't really satisfy my cravings but i'm going to try swapping it and see how I go :D

I work so have to take a packed lunch. Think I will try the rice idea :)

Yeah I love bread, fresh bloomers, baguettes, crusty rolls, white bread. Wholemeal doesn't really satisfy my cravings but i'm going to try swapping it and see how I go :D

I LOVE bread, bought a breadmaker in 2009, fresh loaves daily ready for breakfast....mmmm.....homemade pizza and rolls... hence the weight gain during 2009!!!
Breadmaker now hidden in cupboard :(

So i occasionally have some bread, but a couple of slices is just a tease and i'd rather use my HEB/syns on something more filling.

Packed lunch's dont have to be sandwich's with a bit of planning.
I presume you have access to a kettle at work?
so there are many FREE 'add water to pots' Supernoodles to go, Tesos cous cous pots and packet couscous only needs boiling water anyway.
Mugshots

You can pre make at home pasta salads, There is a lovely layered cheese and pasta salad in one of this years mags ( cant think which one)
frittata/tortilla cold with salad
If you have access to a microwave - dinner leftovers of pasta, cottage pies, even a jacket potato with fillings,
Home made soups in a flask or to heat in microwave

chicken salad/ham salad for red or EE

There are low syn crsips if you feel you need them.
with yogurt, fruit, jelly pots and Alpen bar maybe

with a bit of imagination packed lunchs dont have to be boring :)

ooo Great suggestions :) Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated!

Oh god I hear you! A crusty white loaf and butter is my ultimate comfort food! Wholemeal doesn't cut it for me either!

I've been doing SW for 3 full weeks now (this time round) and can honestly say I do not miss bread at all. The only time I've had bread in the 3 weeks has been on the weekends when I have fried egg on toast for breakfast.

The rest of the time I take salads to work with either couscous, rice, pots or pasta added to bulk it out. Seems to work for me.

I have a breadmaker and use it to make wholemeal loaves cos that way I will not even have to look at the bread aisle in the supermarket! Mine only makes small loaves, but a loaf (10slices) lasts me 5 weeks. I slice and freeze it in batches of 2 slices.

HTH

x

i sooo miss tiger bread, but if i have it i know i won't stop at one slice *goes and mopes staring at the nice bread brother brought home*

Back