Ideas for a starter

Gemma_C

It's my wonderfully supportive boyfriend's birthday on Wednesday and am planning to cook him a special meal. I am doing fillet steak, roast potatos (his in oil and mine in fry light) and roasted veg. I have no idea what to do for a starter. I want to save my syns for pudding as I plan on being a bit naughty for pudding.
Gems xx

How about pieces of Tandoori Chicken (fried in fry light, powder from Tesco or Indian shops, it's a lovely red colour and tastes gorgeous) with mixed salad leaves / rocket?
Or could do a carrot soup, with celery, garlic, onion and chicken / veg stock (nice and light)?
I'm not sure about "what goes with what" so might depend if you fancy these combinations? Could always have something like Melon although I always think fruit is a pudding, lol
Enjoy - hope you have a great night x

what about prawns or scallops or something fried with chorizo and garlic? if you fry the chorizo in the pan first the oil comes out of it so you wouldnt need to use any extra? xx

what about prawns or scallops or something fried with chorizo and garlic? if you fry the chorizo in the pan first the oil comes out of it so you wouldnt need to use any extra? xx

So spooky - was about to suggest the same thing!! :eek:

You could always make a lovely salad, depending on what you like - maybe with some crumbled up goats cheese, or king prawns cooked in garlic (add 1tsp LF spread at the end for a buttery flavour).

Also there's a lovely recipe for chickpea patties in the Curry cookbook which is SF and really tasty - you could serve with a mint raita. If you want the recipe I'll post it tonight when I get home

Hope you have a wonderful evening on Wednesday!

Thanks guys-really appriciate the ideas. I like the idea of fishy so mighy go for the scallops in chorizo. How synful is chorizo? x

And for pudding.? Try this, only 2 syns a portion (but I add a dollop of half fat spray cream too). I've made this loads of times including for dinner parties - no one can believe it's a low fat/syn desert!

CHOCOLATE & RASPBERRY (OR STRAWBERRY) ROULADE
Serves: 6

Syns per serving:
2 Syns on Extra Easy, Green and Original
Preparation/cooking time:
approx. 25 minutes

Ingredients

3 eggs
3 level tbsps artificial sweetener
28g/1oz wholemeal self-raising flour
2 sachets Cadbury Chocolate Highlights Drink (I use the dark chocolate one)
1 level tsp baking powder
Punnet of Raspberries or Strawberries
142g/5oz very low fat natural fromage frais
1 level tsp cocoa

Method

1. Whisk the eggs and 2 tbsps artificial sweetener until thick and creamy, then fold in the flour, chocolate Options and baking powder with a metal spoon.
2. Line a Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking parchment. Spoon the cake mixture into the lined tin and cook in a preheated oven at 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 8-10 minutes.
3. Turn the sponge out onto a sheet of greaseproof paper. Peel away the lining paper and trim the edges of the sponge, then cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to cool.
4. Spread the fromage frais over the cooled chocolate sponge (*). Top with the raspberries or sliced strawberries. Roll up carefully and then dust with cocoa. Serve cut into slices with extra raspberries or strawberries on the side.

If you save your HEb, you could do garlic mushrooms on little bits of wholemeal toast.

or homemade hummus with vegetable crudites.

Hate to say it but parma ham isn't syn free, it is 1/2 a syn a slice xx

chorizo is 2.5 syns per 28g, sounds a lot, but you dont need to use a lot of it to get the flavour!

scallops and chorizo is my absolute favourite!! YUM YUM YUMMM!! :D xx

I absolutely LOVE prawns, served simply, with lettuce and a lemon juice and w.sauce dressing. Syn free heaven!

Asparagus spears wrapped in parma ham - totally syn free :)

I was just going to suggest this! I saw someone on Come Dine with me make it yesterday and everyone commented that it was delicious.

Back