Ideas for grab off the shelf meals and snacks please?

book_lover

Hi I'm a newbie, slowly started posting and I've started a food diary on here. I'm into week 4 of SW and loving it so far.

I love that it encourages real food, real home cooking. BUT sometimes I'm in a fix where I need to grab something ready made e.g. to eat quickly at work or on the run.

I keep seeing people treating Bachelors pasta and sauce as if it's free - is it?

What other things are out there like that, which are free or v. low syns? I prefer real food and don't really gravitate to convenience food, but sometimes it's the only option!

Some pasta and sauces are free on green/extra easy, you'd have to check the syns out for each flavour though, and they are only free if made up with just water - you won't notice the difference tbh. Again some of those mugshots things are free on green/ee, beware of buying them in discount shops though as they are a different recipe and synned.

I don't tend to go in for that kind of food, prefer real food too, but sometimes when you are in a rush or ill it's a godsend. My goto convenience foods are Aldi Hunters stewed steak 1.5 syns for whole can on red/ee and Asda chickpea dahl in a tin, free on green/ee.

Flavoured couscous sachets are good too, most have syns I think but it's only a few on green/ee and split between however many people anyway, very quick for lunches and can be zooped up with meat/quorn/veggies.

I sometimes make up a packet of savoury rice the night before work and have half with a birdseye steam veg pack that you put in the mic and save half for lunch the day after too.

Savoury rice is quick you just put it in a jug and fill up with however much water it says on the pack, cover with clingfilm and leave it in the microwave for 15 mins on full power. Easy!!

Also as above, the mugshots are good the 1% fat ones are free and also the roast chicken which is 2% is free.

Batchelors low fat supernoodles are great with some stirfry veggies out of a ready chopped bag for a quick tea!

Tesco icanned Irish Stew is free on EE/red too, never tried it though.

thank you :) I went and got some asda chickpea dahl. I also got a few tins of ratatouille, which am assuming is free but I'll check. Anything else like that, anyone? Soups? It's useful to have ideas for when I'm in a hurry at work. Also, I decided against savoury rice in the end, as I like sauce on my food. I can easily make rice dishes without them being packets, at home but I wouldn't eat dry savoury rice at work.... got some pasta and sauces though and will be having one for lunch with added veggies :)

There are some cans of soup listed in the book as healthy extras, I don't offhand know which though as I would make my own rather than waste a he on one

Batchelor's Herb and Tomato Pot shots are free on Green and EE, pretty good when you only have a kettle to hand. I often grate some cheese eg. A Babybel light in, makes a speedy lunch!

Back