IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

Morning all - it's early, I've been awake half the night (duh), and I've made beef and turkey luclac already (to OH's disgust cos it's only 6.30am...!). New scales arrived yesterday (WW Precision Body Analyser - fancy scales are so much cheaper in the UK than here). Kinder weigh in than old ones but perhaps due to sleepness night? I'll take it anyway...

Off to house tonight for 3 day weekend. Dinner out and BBQ in planned with visitors but will do my best to compensate with lighter lunch and extra exercise. Got to do this reintroduction thing at some time and not been suffering since Tues out of ketosis.

Friend bringing me (hopefully): quark, Mullers and LOTS of Philly xlite cos the sell by dates are sooo far off :)
OH requested a thick sliced white plastic loaf. Amazing what some people miss from England!

Last edited:
Good morning - good about the scales thing! But it shows that really how much they can differ, even if they are calibrated and set to zero... We should all be using measurements. I'm still half a kg over, but belts and clothes tell me I haven't gained any 'mass', at least not round the middle where it would show first...

Re Quark: have you tried Lidl? The one on Spain stocked the 0.1% variety, which saved my life :). However the one in UK does not...

Hope you have a good weekend!

fab on the scales though and what a relief :D

Yak white plastic loaf (sush yummy toasted dripping with salty butter)

Hope you enjoy your weekend with visitors :D
Im off to scarborough for dinner bed and breakfast - wanting to stay legal so will see what the set menu is (dreading in case its curry and rice ill just throw a princess fit - i aint eating that sh*t)

You're right Anja - scales really are a pain. Strangely enough, while I weighed 200g more on the "old" scales, my other half weighed 500g more on the "new" ones and now refuses to use them!!!

Vicky - these scales told me things I'm not sure I want to know like how many K my fat weighs, what percentage it is, and how much water I have... obviously, I can't remember the figures I briefly caught sight of in the dark this morning now, but what should I be aiming at?

thats how much body fat you should have dependant on age etc. for example is should have between 21-26

When I click on that link, I get the home page...

wierd i get a chart x

Got it by pasting into a clean internet page! OK mine is 'average' (ok the HIGH end of average.) I can live with that. No choice! (I think it was 34 something.) Next time I weigh, I'll write it down but this morning was the first time and the scales don't have a backlight and it was dark!!

ha ha didnt you want to wake the OH up LOL. the lowest mine has been is 28! i dont stay on my scales long enough now to check LOL

I'm sure I read something at one time that these numbers are all bull anyway because pear shaped people make them go awry... I wonder why my water should be lower than it ought first time (when dehydrated)? If I drank any more, I'd float off!

oh really ??? yes water baffles me :D is higher when ive drunk alcohol and dehydrated LOL

Since you asked - this is how to ride a bike with gears.

First of all, some technical info on how they work:
How they work - bicycle gears

Your gears (sorry I don't know all the technical terms) use them like this:

Now the dial on the left controls the derailleur for the pedals. For starters it's probably best to keep it in 2. 1 is for hills (lots of easy fast pedalling) and 3 is for downhill/high speed (less pedalling but much harder at slower speeds)

The one on the right controls the back derailleur. And that's the one you'll be changing much more often. Now the extreme combinations are not advised to you don't actually have all the permutations at your disposal, and there is some duplication: 2-4 might feel the same as 3-1.
For example don't do 1-6 or 3-1 as that might stretch the chain a bit too much.

Anyway - start with 1 or 2 on the left and leave it there for starters. Remember that you can only change gear while the pedals are moving (see last bit about stopping)

To start from standing, you want to be in a low gear on the right, so start with 1-1 or 2-1. Then as you pick up a bit of speed and your legs go faster and faster switch the RIGHT one up a notch - to 2. And so on. It's generally a good idea to wait to feel the chain move into the new position before switching again.
If you're cruising on 5 for example, and the comes a hill, gradually switch the right one back to 4 - 3 - 2 until it is comfortable.

When you come to a stop make sure you switch right down before stopping to make it easier to pull off again.

My bike only has 6 gears, so I can't describe good techniques for one with 18 like yours. I use 1 to pull off, 3 going up hills (errm, railway bridges actually) and 5/6 to whizz fast on a flat or downhill.

Good luck I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

Oh Anja. That is SO kind of you! My other half can't understand why I get in such a pickle! I follow him, seeing his legs going round nice and slowly, while mine are going round 19 to the dozen!

I'm going to print off your words now... and take them with me.

I am ALMOST convinced to sign up to Vélib here now that I've seen how much more painful cycling is to my long walk which obviously no longer pushes me. Just the traffic bothers me a bit here... even at the relative early hour I come to work. (I'd still metro home).

Quick update before heading off to ... errr the unknown. Back to "head office" (just 5 mins walk from previous address, but "different world") and the unknown...

My three day weekend was brilliant. Involved cherry picking, eating out at a restaurant by a lake, then walking dog round same. BBQ at ours. Weather ok when it needed to be. I unfortunately (and predictably) lost the food plot and although I started out ok with "just dinner" on Saturday, it all spiralled and I ate for TEN from Sun am through last night. (I was ill half the night - serves me right!).

So no weigh in. PP again today...

hey hun at least you knew you might ...so will be ready to pp

god luck today hope you get on ok xxxxx

Good luck with the new office, Jo.

I'm sure the weekend won't have any lasting effects (treat it as a gala - that's what I did/do...) and that you'll feel better (and lighter) again very soon.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Back